Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > General Discussion Section > General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here

Old 11-14-2008, 01:58 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 3,688 Times in 759 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread Outstanding video Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 4
Default Is a 1948 nickel "junk" silver?

Advertise Here

Came across a 1948 nickel and was wondering the silver content of it. I know dimes of this date would be 90% silver and considered "junk silver" but what about nickels?

Help to keep this forum going by donating TODAY! http://www.survivalistboards.com/payments.php
Old 11-14-2008, 02:00 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,008 Times in 3,308 Posts

No, but I think it does have a slightly higher nickel content than does the current crop.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:06 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 3,688 Times in 759 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread Outstanding video Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 4

Aww phooey!

Help to keep this forum going by donating TODAY! http://www.survivalistboards.com/payments.php
Old 11-14-2008, 02:10 PM

Default hmmmm Now I am confused!

My Knee jerk reaction was NO....however checked my facts and it looks like some WWII coins may have had 35% silver in them.

From Yahoo answers:

You are getting a lost of misinformation here. Quarters and dimes were made out of 90% silver and 10% copper in 1964 and earlier.

Nickels are normally made from a nickel alloy. During World War II nickel became "crucial to the war effort". In substitute of the nickel alloy the coins were made of 56% copper, 9% manganese and 35% silver.

The mint mark on these coins was also moved from the obverse to the reverse and can be found located above the Monticello building.

Also, the nickel design was the same from 1937 until 2004. You can still find silver nickels in circulation.

And WIKI seems to confirm it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel_...eneral_history

Wartime nickels
From mid-1942 to 1945, so-called "Wartime" composition nickels were created. These coins are 56% copper, 35% silver and 9% manganese. The only other U.S. coins to use manganese are the Sacagawea and presidential dollars. These coins are usually a bit darker than regular nickels, said to be due to their manganese content (as was true of many British coins minted from 1920 through 1947). However, carefully-protected proof sets of these coins are difficult to tell from the standard alloy. A more likely reason for the darker appearance of the wartime coin was due to exposure to sulfur during circulation, which invariably gave the coins a mild and somewhat distinctive dark silver tarnish

However: For the purpose of having post SHTF PM, I would avoid them, guessing if you have a few it would be best to take 'em to the coin shop or sell'em on ebay and buy preps with the cash!

Great Question, just love it when I learn a new tidbit !
Old 11-14-2008, 02:43 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,008 Times in 3,308 Posts

Actually Josiah depending on the mint mark it may yet have some value, don't toss it in any case.
I think someday nickels may(upon being newly minted out of zinc or aluminum) may hold greater metal value.
I get a couple rolls of nickels every time I happen to go to the bank. It costs two measly bucks and is actually worth more.
If all else fails they still spend.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:25 PM

Thanked 2,739 Times in 790 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Post 
Total Awards: 1

1948 Nickels do not sell for a premium.

The wartime series (1942 to 1945) contain .056 OZ of silver each. At todays value each contains 53 cents worth of silver. Not all 1942 nickels are silver. Only the ones with a large mintmark on the reverse are silver.

None of the wartme series nickels are worth a numismatic premium except for the errors (3 over 2 and double strikes on the eye and reverse) or those that are of exceptional quality and certified.

Not a highly recognizable form of silver but can be purchased cheaply. I used to sell them by the pound and they are not that easy to liquidate. I no longer accept them from customers for that reason. They are a bit of American history and are interesting for that reason alone.
The Following User Says Thank You to Scruggs For This Useful Post: