Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Food and water
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here

Old 10-01-2013, 03:36 PM

Default Canning Link Sausages

Advertise Here

I tried searching, but didn't find anything quite like this. Our local grocery store has a clearance bin that I check each time I go in, and I get lots of 50% off meats. One of the things I get quite often are link sausages - fully cooked - different flavored chicken, beef and polish sausages.

My question is this - can I use the pressure canner to preserve these? I have been using the freezer, but I worry about power outages, and we have LOTS of frozen sausage. And does the fact that they are fully cooked affect how I would do it, or how they will taste?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
The Following User Says Thank You to bobthebanjerman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2013, 03:42 PM
Hiker

If its canned for the apropriate amount of time for the meat It should be able to be canned.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:26 PM
Always exploring...

Thanked 57,656 Times in 14,868 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

I can link sausage. I cut them into 1 to 1 1/2 inch pieces, pack them into the jar and do NOT put a broth in them. I do them that way because then I can just dump the whole jar in my beans, gumbo, jambalaya, skillet to make gravy, etc. There is a member here who cans them in "jar height" lengths standing vertically in the jar with as many in the jar as will pack.

Pressure can them 75 minutes for pints or 90 minutes for quarts at whatever poundage is appropriate for your altitude.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mels thinkingitover For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2013, 06:28 PM
Recent Blog: It is over.
☆҉Onthe road to Shambala

Thanked 9,805 Times in 2,612 Posts

Great question! Do they taste "over cooked" after canning, if anyone knows?
Old 10-01-2013, 06:38 PM
Always exploring...

Thanked 57,656 Times in 14,868 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13ella View Post
Great question! Do they taste "over cooked" after canning, if anyone knows?
If you were going to try to fry one and eat it by itself they are not the best canned. I can them to use "in" stuff and they work great. I wouldn't put one on a bun and try to eat it.

I also steer away from sausage with very much sage and Italian sausage don't taste any different than others in case you were to have to pay extra for them. They lose the "Italianness" somehow in the canning. Hickory smoked sausage and keilbasa do the best in my opinion.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mels thinkingitover For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2013, 07:53 PM
Recent Blog: It is over.
☆҉Onthe road to Shambala

Thanked 9,805 Times in 2,612 Posts

Thanks, Mel. Kielbasa and Mac & cheese is yummie. I was also thinking the Johnson's New Orleans Brand Sausages might do well. I'll have to give it a try.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 13ella For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2013, 08:48 PM

Default canning

MY NEIGHBOR THAT JUST PASSED AWAY at 95 was a home butcher till the butcher shop had him shut down he was using old butcher things cant use any thing wood and pass the usda health , he cooked it put it in mason jars covered it in hot lard to cover them up let it cool then put a lid on them keep for 6 months, they keep it that way in the 30s , we would bake bulk in mason crocks in the oven cover the top in hot lard ,. put a lid on it, it keep for a month+ like that in the winter hard to stay out off it, they keep it all winter that way long ago before electric. it was baked in mason crocks, stored in the meat house covered the top in lard with a lid or cloth to keep things out, the sausage was always pre cooked for the winter the lard was used to fry other things and bake, my grandmother had a butcher shop in the early 50s with her step dad

Last edited by farmer; 10-01-2013 at 09:04 PM.. Reason: flaws
The Following User Says Thank You to farmer For This Useful Post: