Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Pistol and Revolver Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 08-30-2013, 10:54 AM
Don't be dumb

Thanked 2,328 Times in 1,002 Posts
Default Sig Battle: P290RS vs P938

Advertise Here

So the lady in my life is looking at getting either a P290RS or P938. She is leaning towards the 938 because of the aesthetics as well as an easier operating slide. The trigger pull on the 938 also is a bit lighter allowing her better shot control on the shorter barrel.

So what would you recommend and why? Please limit responses to the two models presented, she's set on them. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:18 AM
Recent Blog: I'm back
Knowledge is Power

Thanked 4,469 Times in 1,437 Posts

My wife had the 938 and liked it. it concealed easily and was reliable, however, we had to send it back to the factory because one of the grip screws fell out and it turns out the hole was stripped as well. This is a known problem with that series so make sure that you locktite the screws as soon as you get it.

The factory fixed the gun, polished the feedramp, and replaced the extractor and had it back to us in about 3 weeks. Thoroughly impressed with the customer service but I personally didn't care for the gun as it bit me EVERY time I shot it, it didn't like reloads (factory loads were flawless) and the microscopic safety was difficult at times and the trigger was horrendous. because of the trigger, groups were typically not what we wanted.

We sold the Sig and bought a M&P Shield as that was what my wife wanted all the time anyways. We purchased the Sig as a stop-gap until our name came up on one of the many waiting lists that we were on for the Shield.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to usmc0341 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2013, 08:51 PM
Target Shooter

The 290 is DAO (with no external safety) & the 938 is a SAO (with a external safety, 1911 platform) Totally different trigger systems, depending on how much of a "gun-girl" she is, the 290 may offer her a higher level of safety, with less training.

If she likes/shoots the 938 better then invest the time in the drills for 'cocked & locked'
The Following User Says Thank You to arozarks For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2013, 08:59 PM
Recent Blog: I'm back
Knowledge is Power

Thanked 4,469 Times in 1,437 Posts

How is a gun with NO external safety more safe than a SA WITH an external active physical safety? and as far as training goes if she can't manage to thumb down the ambi safety regularly after fewer than 15-20 reps then she should be training a lot more before she carries anyways.. OP this wasn't an attack on you or yours just a disagreement with the above posters comment.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to usmc0341 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2013, 02:05 AM

I've had the 938 for nearly a year now, and have put several hundred rounds through it. No issues at all. One review reported a bleeding trigger finger from the trigger, although I've not had any problems with the trigger. I'm not sure, but I think it's plastic, and one day I'd like to replace that with a metal replacement.

All kinds of ammo have been fed through this gun, with a lot of cheap hardball from various makers. No jams, no ftf. Seems to like everything.

I bought a DM Bullard holster for it that works great as a belt holster and a High Noon IWB holster.

It's one of those guns that make you smile when shooting it because it's unbelievably comfortable to shoot and my perceived recoil experience was low and mild. I didn't shoot it at distances more than 25 yards, with most shots at 15 feet or less, but I found it to be a good shooting gun for the purposes (self defense) that it was designed.
The Following User Says Thank You to texasgreg For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2013, 09:57 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc0341 View Post
How is a gun with NO external safety more safe than a SA WITH an external active physical safety? and as far as training goes if she can't manage to thumb down the ambi safety regularly after fewer than 15-20 reps then she should be training a lot more before she carries anyways.. OP this wasn't an attack on you or yours just a disagreement with the above posters comment.
If you read my post, I never said, suggested, or implied that one gun was more or less safe than the other, but don't let that stop you
The Following User Says Thank You to arozarks For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2013, 08:36 PM
Don't be dumb

Thanked 2,328 Times in 1,002 Posts

Thanks for the input people, it's always nice to get actual user reviews instead of second hand ones or gun mag whitewashings.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:24 PM

I'll agree with Arozarks. Safeties need to be committed to muscle memory through repetition to the point where the shooter will disengage without thinking. If your girl is willing to put in the work, the 938 offers a good trigger in return. I bought the wife a Dao auto knowing that she is not the type to practice monthly. Ymmv.
The Following User Says Thank You to B.O.F.H. For This Useful Post: