Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 08-28-2013, 04:40 PM
Hiker

Advertise Here

If you've got the money for an AA, then get one. Your only dilemma at this point should be size. I bought a cheap presto canner a couple years ago and have no issues with it, but will be buying an AA soon for all the reasons already stated. (the presto is slow to cool, has wearign parts etc...)
Old 08-28-2013, 04:56 PM
Capability, not scenarios

Thanked 21,667 Times in 6,610 Posts

When I first started I researched this I concluded that the All-American, because it didn't require a gasket, was the most SHTF-robust there is.

And it is. I thought about buying extra gaskets for a Presto, wasn't sure how well they would last over time. Perhaps someone has more experience with that.

However, this is one of those things--like with the Country Living Grain Mill--where you have to ask whether you're better off buying a couple Wondermill Jrs and having change left, or buying a tank like the CLGM.

Same deal--All American, or a couple of Prestos with an extra gasket or two? If the gaskets can last years and extra ones won't degrade, then the Prestos are a more cost-effective solution (plus you can run two at a time).

At least there's a choice.
To search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all the normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:14 PM

I'll chime in with everyone else about the All American canner. Early this spring I also purchased the AA that does 14 quarts at one time. Really cut down my time spent pressure canning.

Have used it three times so far and the lids is still difficult to remove, but I suspect it will seat in the near future. Love it!

Sure beats the gasket Presto model I was using. I think I spent about $300.00 for mine from amazon.com. and American made.

I can't say anything bad about my seven quart Presto pressure canner. I've had it for a long time, have a spare gasket for it but has never needed changed.

I do have another regular Presto pressure "cooker" I've had for years and have had to replace the gasket a couple of times. I think pressure cooking food shortens the life span of the gasket.

It's nice having the big jobber when the tomato's and green beans come in, and convenient to have the small Presto for smaller jobs. Best of both worlds!
Old 08-28-2013, 05:49 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,846 Times in 1,335 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis1209 View Post
Have used it three times so far and the lids is still difficult to remove, but I suspect it will seat in the near future. Love it!
It does get easier, I just put a little olive oil on my finger and go over the edge where it seals every day I use it. It's a wider area than you would think, it's the beveled edge. If I'm doing three batches in one day I do it at the beginning, not each time.