Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 08-27-2013, 01:27 PM

Default camping/hiking near San Angelo, TX

Advertise Here

Hey folks, I'm going to be doing some training in San Angelo, TX for a few months. I'm planning to spend most weekends out camping and practicing some navigation skills. Can anyone tell me about the Twin Buttes Reservoir area? I'd like practice some non-game hunting (rabbits) and fishing as well. I want to get an air rifle to hunt with, but can't get a straight answer from the authorities if they are allowed or not.

Thanks!
Old 08-27-2013, 01:46 PM
Kibitzer

Thanked 3,292 Times in 2,023 Posts

If you've got a hunting license, you can kill them with a throwing stick if you wanted to.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:14 PM

Shotguns are allowed during hunting season-deer, turkey, dove, quail. No slugs, buckshot OK the last time I checked. Any out of season game is fair game. Hunting licenses needed. I roamed this area for the last 47 years. There are several other lakes and camping close by. All but one lake is extremely low on water. Fishing is good.
The Following User Says Thank You to lonesomeburro For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2013, 04:53 PM

BTW, the City of San Angelo has jurisdiction over Twin Buttes. Have you ever gotten a straight answer from a municipality?
Old 08-27-2013, 05:38 PM

I called and asked if I could use an air rifle on nongame animals and the person's response was"I don't know". She said to refer to state regs which allows it.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:52 PM
Prepared

You probably already know this but that area is loaded with rattlesnakes.

Prep accordingly.
The Following User Says Thank You to MMII For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2013, 10:32 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,326 Times in 1,446 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMII View Post

Prep accordingly.
Yes there are snakes. Loaded? Nah, not really. Easy enough to walk around and avoid. I only know one person that has gotten bit. Wife's uncle. He died on the kitchen table while the doc was working on him. He was only about ten and it was a long time ago.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nutty Old Geezer For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2013, 06:27 PM
I am buzkil...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMII View Post
I live in that area about a year now and I have yet to see a snake.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to buzkil For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2013, 08:41 PM
Prepared

Not saying anyone is wrong.

My experience was different. I was in that area for 14 months and must have seen 25-30 without trying to find them. They must like me.

Anyway, I hope the OP has no encounters.
The Following User Says Thank You to MMII For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2013, 09:23 PM

No worries, I grew up camping and hiking in the southeast, I have a pretty good handle on avoiding snakes. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 08-30-2013, 07:53 PM
swamp rat

I was stationed in San Angelo 37 years ago. We had a woman who was a Bird Colonel for a base CO and she was a beast. I used to rent a horse from a stable for $15 at dawn and you could ride all day. Had to be back by dusk. Was thrown one day when we came upon a nest of rattlers. There was like 15 or 20 and all of the sudden we were in them. I scrambled away and the horse just took off. I started walking back to the stable and damned if the horse didn't come back for me about a 1/4 mile away.
Used to fish and shoot out on that range. It was open country and never saw law or wildlife enforcement.
The worst was that it was a dry town and you had to become a club member to drink. Weird for a military town. The best was that we were pretty close to Mexico and it was fun instead of dangerous back then.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:35 PM
I am buzkil...

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmojo View Post
We had a woman who was a Bird Colonel for a base CO and she was a beast.
Norma Brown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmojo View Post
The worst was that it was a dry town and you had to become a club member to drink. Weird for a military town.
Ain't that way any more. Not even close...
Old 09-02-2013, 06:24 AM
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzkil View Post
Norma Brown?

Ain't that way any more. Not even close...
Don't think so but was a long time ago. The first thing she did was try to cut down the NCO club hours. But...the base was 24 hour training (at least it was then) and off duty might be from 7am for one guy and 12am for another. That didn't go well. Then she did away with Playboy, Penthouse etc. in the BX and you got gigged if they were found in the barracks. She wasn't there long.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:18 PM

You could post a craigslist add for small game hunting on some land. We don't have a season for rabbits. If a landowner has a lot of jack rabbits I'm sure they would have no problem you hunting on there land. Dove season just started and deer season is in a couple of months so it might be hard to find a landowner to let you hunt small game. Big game hunters pay big bucks and that covers the cost of land taxes. Air rifles except big game is ok to hunt with. The reason you can't get a straight answer is because its not very common for people to hunt rabbits and with air rifles in Texas. But to hunt on state land most of the time is you have to get a hunting permit to do so. Or win a lottery style hunting permit for a pre-determined date. Also be mindful that some military will have a bad rep with some texas land owners as trigger happy. an example shooting calves that they thought were deer or pigs that were hiding behind brush.

Also google day hunting in texas.

Also look up feral hogs hunts those are easy to find. and some places will pay you for the tails.

Fishing is as easy as going to walmart to buy a license.
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/regulati...ns-and-methods
Old 09-03-2013, 06:19 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,239 Times in 514 Posts

Cactus and rattlesnakes enjoy.