Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > General Discussion Section > General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here
Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 11:45 AM

Default Parents Upset Elementary School Students Forced To Kneel Before Principal 'Like A Kin

Advertise Here

Under the topic of "general discussion"

Since cbs local has taken down the story after a Drudge link I thought yall might like to actually read it.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...ucaipa-school/

From this incredibly offensive article:

YUCAIPA (CBSLA.com) — Parents of students at a San Bernardino County elementary school are claiming their children are being told to kneel down before the school principal.

KCAL9′s Tom Wait reports a new principal at Calimesa Elementary School has instituted the policy, which calls for students at various times of the school day to kneel down on one knee and wait for the principal or another administrator to dismiss them.
The Following User Says Thank You to panxerox For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2013, 11:48 AM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 94,135 Times in 31,186 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by panxerox View Post
Under the topic of "general discussion"
Then start it in the "general discussion" forum. I've moved it there for you.
Folks, when starting a thread, please take a moment and consider which forum that thread belongs in. Disaster Preparedness is for disaster preparedness discussions only. There are forums for gun posts, news, politics, general discussion, etc. Please try to start threads in the right forum. This makes the site better for all of us. Thanks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2013, 11:49 AM
LEGAL citizen

Thanked 8,341 Times in 2,814 Posts

Well, if they weren't loud, obnoxious kids and tried to stop and listen, they wouldn't have to resort to telling them to take a knee. I did this throughout my entire sports career when the coaches wanted to speak to the team.

Some people complain about the dumbest crap...
Old 08-21-2013, 11:49 AM
LEGAL citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Then start it in the "general discussion" forum. I've moved it there for you.
LOL... now that was funny.
The Following User Says Thank You to America's Patriot For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2013, 11:55 AM

Default I only take a knee to god

My kids bow or take a knee to no man.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to panxerox For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2013, 12:00 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,348 Times in 695 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by America's Patriot View Post
Well, if they weren't loud, obnoxious kids and tried to stop and listen, the wouldn't have to resort to telling them to take a knee. I did this throughout my entire sports career when the coaches wanted to speak to the team.

Some people complain about the dumbest crap...
There is a difference between taking a knee when forming up in a group and this;
From the article:
KCAL9′s Tom Wait reports a new principal at Calimesa Elementary School has instituted the policy, which calls for students at various times of the school day to kneel down on one knee and wait for the principal or another administrator to dismiss them.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:03 PM
That's "Ma'am" to you

Thanked 5,687 Times in 1,704 Posts

It's been updated. The school caved.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yappat For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2013, 12:43 PM
LEGAL citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by panxerox View Post
My kids bow or take a knee to no man.
Taking a knee and bowing down are too different things. Whats the difference if you go into your bosses office and sit in a chair that is smaller and lower than his? Aren't you "bowing down" to his position? This whole thing is being over exaggerated by the press. Now if they said kiss my feet, bow down to your principal... different story. If you pay attention to your home, I'd be willing to bet money that you use similar tactics in order to get your kids to listen, pay attention or stop what they are doing. Anyway, not worth arguing about... have a good one.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:49 PM
Always exploring...

Thanked 53,177 Times in 14,070 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

It sounds like a different version of "sit down, shut up and listen" I used with the kids when they were little except there were no chairs around.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:51 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mels thinkingitover View Post
It sounds like a different version of "sit down, shut up and listen" I used with the kids when they were little except there were no chairs around.
did you read the article?
Old 08-21-2013, 12:59 PM
Always exploring...

Thanked 53,177 Times in 14,070 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossO View Post
did you read the article?
Yes, I did. .
Old 08-21-2013, 01:01 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mels thinkingitover View Post
Yes, I did. .
The you understand it wasn't about discipline, it had nothing to do with sit down and shut up.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:09 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,297 Times in 3,898 Posts

hard to believe .... but from the responses, it looks like your average CA soccer moms has more self respect and honor than some of our fellow SB prepper members ..... an AMERICAN doesn't bow down to NO one ....
Old 08-21-2013, 01:16 PM
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanked 14,053 Times in 5,021 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by America's Patriot View Post
Taking a knee and bowing down are too different things. Whats the difference if you go into your bosses office and sit in a chair that is smaller and lower than his? Aren't you "bowing down" to his position?
You should see their reaction when you stand in 'respect' instead.
Or even better, when they put the adjustable chairs there and you just raise it up so you are eye level.

Quote:
This whole thing is being over exaggerated by the press. Now if they said kiss my feet, bow down to your principal... different story. If you pay attention to your home, I'd be willing to bet money that you use similar tactics in order to get your kids to listen, pay attention or stop what they are doing. Anyway, not worth arguing about... have a good one.
Sitting quietly is quite different from taking a knee and waiting to be dismissed. You may not have an issue with it, but I imagine much of this outrage is probably in how the school approached this and how they implemented it.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:38 PM
Gypsy in the Midwest

Thanked 2,785 Times in 801 Posts

I'm a MOM ... I'm a Christian.... Don't have an issue at all with the taking of one knee by kids. It's been done for over 50 years by coach and PE teachers.

Would you feel better if the kids sat indian style? (Oh wait... can't call it that no more. That is not Politically Correct! *Gasp* We have to call that Criss cross applesauce. )

Maybe if the kids were taught at home to behave, keep their hands to themselves, respect adults, etc... the principal would not have to do this. BUT having unruly kids get in some sort of line, formation, etc...What is the big deal? Too many people get their panties in a bunch over nothing. Bring back the wooden rulers and paddles to the schools! If the parents are too spineless to give the kids a spanking, I'm sure there are more than a few teachers and principals that would love to give the little brats a whooping!
Old 08-21-2013, 01:58 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaMomma View Post
I'm a MOM ... I'm a Christian.... Don't have an issue at all with the taking of one knee by kids. It's been done for over 50 years by coach and PE teachers.

Would you feel better if the kids sat indian style? (Oh wait... can't call it that no more. That is not Politically Correct! *Gasp* We have to call that Criss cross applesauce. )

Maybe if the kids were taught at home to behave, keep their hands to themselves, respect adults, etc... the principal would not have to do this. BUT having unruly kids get in some sort of line, formation, etc...What is the big deal? Too many people get their panties in a bunch over nothing. Bring back the wooden rulers and paddles to the schools! If the parents are too spineless to give the kids a spanking, I'm sure there are more than a few teachers and principals that would love to give the little brats a whooping!
Read the article, then read it agian s l o w l y. It has nothing to do with discpline:

from the article:
Dana Carter began the policy as “a positive way to enforce safety”
seems to me it seems like the principal has an ego issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to RossO For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2013, 02:02 PM
Hunter

I grew up in that area and still have friends out there. I got this note form one of them:

I think it's probably true. When my daughter participated in honors band last year, the students at the school where the band practice occurred had to do this in order to be let into the classroom after recess. All of the students would drop to their knees and wait to be dismissed as if they were in a prison yard. Pretty sad that this is what we're training them for.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:07 PM
Gypsy in the Midwest

Thanked 2,785 Times in 801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossO View Post
Read the article, then readi t agian s l o w l y. It has nothing to do with discpline:

from the article:
Dana Carter began the policy as “a positive way to enforce safety”
seems to me it seems like the principal has an ego issue.
Do you have kids? Did you never attend a public school?

Kids line up outside (or in the gym) to go to class in the morning when they are in Elementary. The teachers organize the kids into lines... then they go to class. They will line up after recess. A group of classes will line up to go to lunch. They will line up after lunch. They will line after assemblies.

OH my GOODNESS the PRINCIPAL actually believes that he can BOSS elementary kids around???? I thought that was part of what he was paid to do. This thread is ridiculous!!!!
Old 08-21-2013, 02:30 PM
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanked 14,053 Times in 5,021 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaMomma View Post
Do you have kids? Did you never attend a public school?

Kids line up outside (or in the gym) to go to class in the morning when they are in Elementary. The teachers organize the kids into lines... then they go to class. They will line up after recess. A group of classes will line up to go to lunch. They will line up after lunch. They will line after assemblies.

OH my GOODNESS the PRINCIPAL actually believes that he can BOSS elementary kids around???? I thought that was part of what he was paid to do. This thread is ridiculous!!!!
Lining up and being quiet is not the same as taking a knee and waiting permission to get inside. This is a method we used on detainees so that it was difficult for them to move quickly and it was not as comfortable as sitting down, so it kept them occupied.

Yes, I have two children in school, so I do know how evil children can get. That does not mean that a school should use detainee like practices on the children.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:47 PM
Survivor

Thanked 16,009 Times in 2,240 Posts

I read the article. The principal had a bad idea and no matter how much lipstick he put on the pig, the parents, (those pesky taxpayers the principal works for) found out and wanted it changed.

That's the way it should be regardless of the principal's (and his vocal supporter's) emotional rationalization. Now if they can do something about the gender confused kids in the wrong bathrooms and showers.
Closed Thread