Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Health, Fitness and First Aid
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 12-16-2013, 07:35 PM
Believe in Yourself

Thanked 4,826 Times in 2,166 Posts
Default Entirely bogus

Advertise Here

That's why it was used in both the US and Russian Space programs as a "Water Disinfectant".....
http://www.thesilveredge.com/nasa.shtml

“Silver will be used in two functions that will provide Shuttle crews with pure water for drinking, air conditioning, food preparation and other operations."

http://www.silver-colloids.com/Pubs/...coliO157H7.pdf
http://www.silver-colloids.com/Pubs/...aureusMRSA.pdf
http://www.silver-colloids.com/Pubs/EMSL/Saureus3.pdf
http://www.silver-colloids.com/Pubs/EMSL/Calbicans.pdf

EMSL Analytical, Inc. (http://www.emsl.com/Index.cfm?nav=Home)
or
http://silver-medicine.org/colloidal...tudytexas.html

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/st...ents/1060.html
"On station, silver (colloidal) is used as a biocidal agent based on its antimicrobial properties in the potable water system."

or
http://www.thesilveredge.com/studies.shtml
and the list goes on and on

Yep,bogus
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to alergyfree For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2013, 07:50 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,746 Times in 1,788 Posts

Whether ingesting colloidal silver works to fight infection or not I do not know, but a lot of the products on the market do not really have much if any actual silver in them.

I made colloidal silver for a while to help my wife, I never really saw any positive effects from it, but then my wife suffers from bone infection and it would be near to impossible to get the silver into the bone tissue.

As for whether silver works to kill bacteria and viruses, there is no doubt, it is to this day the most broad spectrum antibiotic known to mankind. It is also about the only antibacterial that organisms are unable to gain an immunity to.

Back in the early 1900's scientists used a silver dime to dropped into a petri dish over night to disinfect them.

Many of my wife's wound dressing materials are silver based, these things are used commonly in wound clinics nationwide. Silvasorb gel, Silvadine and many, many others we have used are silver based and for use in wound care.

Silver taken internally has some drawbacks, it is hard to get silver into the respiratory system or into bone tissue. Silver taken in quantity or for too long a period of time will build up and cause your skin to turn bluish purple. As for toxicity there is no known toxic effect of silver in the human body.

Silver ions are known to stimulate the production of stem cells within the body, this has been tested and proven using silver mesh over trouble wounds that cannot be healed.

Silver most definitely has it's place in medicine and in the control of bacteria, but it is not the magical cure all it is made out to be.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Mountain For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2013, 10:09 PM
Believe in Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
Whether ingesting colloidal silver works to fight infection or not I do not know, but a lot of the products on the market do not really have much if any actual silver in them.

I made colloidal silver for a while to help my wife, I never really saw any positive effects from it, but then my wife suffers from bone infection and it would be near to impossible to get the silver into the bone tissue.

As for whether silver works to kill bacteria and viruses, there is no doubt, it is to this day the most broad spectrum antibiotic known to mankind. It is also about the only antibacterial that organisms are unable to gain an immunity to.

Back in the early 1900's scientists used a silver dime to dropped into a petri dish over night to disinfect them.

Many of my wife's wound dressing materials are silver based, these things are used commonly in wound clinics nationwide. Silvasorb gel, Silvadine and many, many others we have used are silver based and for use in wound care.

Silver taken internally has some drawbacks, it is hard to get silver into the respiratory system or into bone tissue. Silver taken in quantity or for too long a period of time will build up and cause your skin to turn bluish purple. As for toxicity there is no known toxic effect of silver in the human body.

Silver ions are known to stimulate the production of stem cells within the body, this has been tested and proven using silver mesh over trouble wounds that cannot be healed.

Silver most definitely has it's place in medicine and in the control of bacteria, but it is not the magical cure all it is made out to be.
Have a friend that used C silver in his breathing machine with good results.
The Following User Says Thank You to alergyfree For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2013, 12:00 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrowed time View Post
ALERGYFREE, I will shout from the highest mountaintops until i pass out from lack of O2 that Colloidal Silver ABSOLUTELY kills most all bacteria.

I had heard about it for years in the prepper community, and even saw that poor dumb guy that drank it every day and turned blue/purple from it.

So, my teenage son has a WICKED chronic foot odor problem and has had many complaints at school and by friends. So, one day, I'm at a leading sporting goods store and see this "Primos" brand cover scent spray for hunters that touts that it has Colloidal Silver in it and will kill odor causing bacteria.

Well, i bought some and sprayed his sneakers heavily with the stuff all inside and put them open side down over the heater vent to dry. Checked them out in the morning and I'll be g-- damned if the stink was G O N E ! ! We do this every day during the school/cold weather season as he wears his sneaks alot more and sweats heavily into them.

Plus one true believer! (i just wont drink it though..... would hate to look like a Smurf.... See picture below

Mamma said I was gonna look like that if I didn't stop tryin to hold my breath!
Old 12-17-2013, 07:24 AM
Believe in Yourself

I run about 1/2 gallon of CS through my Berkey every now and then. I'm thinking some of the silver stays in the filters and maybe do a little good.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:26 AM
Believe in Yourself

So now I've posted proof lets see who argues it.....
Old 12-17-2013, 12:49 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,634 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alergyfree View Post
Have a friend that used C silver in his breathing machine with good results.
I have as well. Works better for me than antibiotics. I posted about that above.

But it is not as if I run one dose of C Silver through my breathing machine and I'm all better. That would be a dream come true! Rather, after a week or so the cough and nasal infections start to subside.

I don't place much store in ingesting C Silver by mouth. Though some think it is rather helpful that way, I remain skeptical, as it may have the effect of killing off good bugs with the bad, if it kills at all in that anerobic acid condition.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pastornator For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2013, 01:28 PM
Believe in Yourself

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastornator View Post
I have as well. Works better for me than antibiotics. I posted about that above.

But it is not as if I run one dose of C Silver through my breathing machine and I'm all better. That would be a dream come true! Rather, after a week or so the cough and nasal infections start to subside.

I don't place much store in ingesting C Silver by mouth. Though some think it is rather helpful that way, I remain skeptical, as it may have the effect of killing off good bugs with the bad, if it kills at all in that anerobic acid condition.
All of my experience is with internal and never had sign of killing good as well as bad bacteria, diarrhea. Something I don't understand as it seems it would kill everything and give me the scoots.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:57 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,746 Times in 1,788 Posts

Quote:
All of my experience is with internal and never had sign of killing good as well as bad bacteria, diarrhea. Something I don't understand as it seems it would kill everything and give me the scoots.

Generally water should not be making it to your intestinal bacteria, it is usually absorbed directly by the stomach and upper intestinal tract. The silver should never really have much if any effect upon your intestines. Ingesting straight silver on the other would have a great effect upon your intestinal bacteria.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mountain For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2013, 02:16 PM
Believe in Yourself

Quote:
Generally water should not be making it to your intestinal bacteria, it is usually absorbed directly by the stomach and upper intestinal tract. The silver should never really have much if any effect upon your intestines. Ingesting straight silver on the other would have a great effect upon your intestinal bacteria.
That makes since but I know several people that claim it has given them diarrhea so...
Old 12-24-2013, 08:36 AM

here's an article silver nanoparticles which some of you may find interesting:

http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/material...particles.html
The Following User Says Thank You to sam456 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2013, 03:37 PM
Prepared

Quote:
This is for the people whom argue CS does not kill bacteria. Probably though they won't even bother to look and if they do won't reply.
http://thesilveredge.com/video-how-t...bacteria.shtml

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...6fp------gbtpM
CS may do LOTS of things. However, getting the 'proof' from a site that sells CS and CS equipment may not be the most unbiased source. That's the problem--all the info that says CS works is from sources that sell or have an interest in it. Try to find some unbiased, scientific evidence that CS has some beneficial effect.
--------------------------
Here's some info I found from Mayo Clinic;

Silver has no known purpose in the body. Nor is it an essential mineral. Rarely, excessive doses of colloidal silver can cause possibly irreversible serious health problems, including kidney damage and neurological problems
such as seizures. Colloidal silver products may also interact with medications, including penicillamine, quinolone, tetracycline and thyroxine medications

And from WebMD:

How does it work?

Colloidal silver can kill certain germs by binding to and destroying proteins

Insufficient Evidence for:
Ear infections.
Emphysema.
Bronchitis.
Fungal infections.
Lyme disease.
Rosacea.
Sinus infections.
Stomach ulcers.
Yeast infections.
Chronic fatigue syndrome.
HIV/AIDS.
Tuberculosis.
Food poisoning.
Gum disease.
Digestion.
Preventing flu and colds.
More evidence is needed to rate the effectiveness of colloidal silver for these uses.

And NCCAM;

According to the NCCAM, a buildup of colloidal silver in the body can cause argyria. Argyria causes a blue-gray to black-gray discoloration of the skin, other organs, the nails, gum and deep tissues; it is permanent and cannot be reversed. Additional side effects can include seizures, kidney damage, headaches, fatigue, skin irritation and stomach problems. Pregnant women are advised not to consume colloidal silver supplements because it can cause fetal abnormalities

Manufacturers of dietary supplements, unlike drug manufacturers, do not have to prove the safety and effectiveness of their product before it is marketed. After the drug has been marketed, if it is found to be unsafe, the FDA can remove it from the marketplace. In 1999, the FDA issued a ruling that products containing colloidal silver are generally recognized as unsafe and ineffective.
There's just not a lot of good evidence for me. Too much vague and biased info to make a rational judgment. As to my health--when it comes to hearsay versus science, I'll go with the science.
The Following User Says Thank You to Quasar86 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2013, 07:01 PM
Semper Gumby

Thanked 1,462 Times in 512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguz View Post
Will it work on mrsa?
According to this study on bone cement , silver worked when Gentamicin did not.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15046929
The Following User Says Thank You to dochudson For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2013, 07:31 PM
USA: Mi casa es su casa.

Thanked 9,166 Times in 3,146 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasar86 View Post
According to the NCCAM, a buildup of colloidal silver in the body can cause argyria. Argyria causes a blue-gray to black-gray discoloration of the skin, other organs, the nails, gum and deep tissues; it is permanent and cannot be reversed. Additional side effects can include seizures, kidney damage, headaches, fatigue, skin irritation and stomach problems. Pregnant women are advised not to consume colloidal silver supplements because it can cause fetal abnormalities

There's just not a lot of good evidence for me. Too much vague and biased info to make a rational judgment. As to my health--when it comes to hearsay versus science, I'll go with the science.
just technically... did anyone actually do research into the problems that silver causes? Or is it more likely that there's anecdotal evidence saying that silver causes those problems?

I ask, cuz you (rightfully so) automatically assume the science is right.

My guess is, there's no real research either way. There's probably similar anecdotal evidence both ways. The problem is, were those negative side-effects isolated to the use of silver?

What I know is that there are many legit products that use silver in a western-medicine setting.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:35 PM
USA: Mi casa es su casa.

Thanked 9,166 Times in 3,146 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dochudson View Post
According to this study on bone cement , silver worked when Gentamicin did not.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15046929
most of that was greek to me, but here's what I understood:
Quote:
Only NanoSilver cement showed high-antibacterial activity against all strains, including MRSE and MRSA. Gentamicin cement was not effective against MRSA and MRSE due to the high-level gentamicin resistance of the tested strains. Plain cement did not inhibit proliferation of any strains.
Thanks dochudson for that pdf.
The Following User Says Thank You to LordOpie For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2013, 08:05 PM
Believe in Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasar86 View Post
CS may do LOTS of things. However, getting the 'proof' from a site that sells CS and CS equipment may not be the most unbiased source. That's the problem--all the info that says CS works is from sources that sell or have an interest in it. Try to find some unbiased, scientific evidence that CS has some beneficial effect.
Here's some info I found from Mayo Clinic;

Silver has no known purpose in the body. Nor is it an essential mineral. Rarely, excessive doses of colloidal silver can cause possibly irreversible serious health problems, including kidney damage and neurological problems
such as seizures. Colloidal silver products may also interact with medications, including penicillamine, quinolone, tetracycline and thyroxine medications

And from WebMD:

How does it work?

Colloidal silver can kill certain germs by binding to and destroying proteins

Insufficient Evidence for:
Ear infections.
Emphysema.
Bronchitis.
Fungal infections.
Lyme disease.
Rosacea.
Sinus infections.
Stomach ulcers.
Yeast infections.
Chronic fatigue syndrome.
HIV/AIDS.
Tuberculosis.
Food poisoning.
Gum disease.
Digestion.
Preventing flu and colds.
More evidence is needed to rate the effectiveness of colloidal silver for these uses.

And NCCAM;

Manufacturers of dietary supplements, unlike drug manufacturers, do not have to prove the safety and effectiveness of their product before it is marketed. After the drug has been marketed, if it is found to be unsafe, the FDA can remove it from the marketplace. In 1999, the FDA issued a ruling that products containing colloidal silver are generally recognized as unsafe and ineffective.
EMSL Analytical, Inc.
Does not sell CS
Ah, NASA does not sell CS.....

The science is there

The FDA is in the pocket of the AMA

"After the drug has been marketed, if it is found to be unsafe"
Virtually every drug on the market has multiple side effects up to and including death.
When a good majority of health care issues is cause by or at the very least exacerbated by life style?
And the majority of drugs deal with symptoms not causes?
When doctors for so long have said there is no cure except through the use of drugs?
It use to be you took drugs when you needed them to get better and then you stopped taking them.
That was being cured
Now the term "cure" has changed to managing symptoms.
It's all about the money
Science justifying drug use to the ignorant
The perfect vehicle for greed
The thing is ANYONE can make effective SC
No profit in that....
Old 12-30-2013, 08:28 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,655 Times in 1,288 Posts

Quote:
This is for the people whom argue CS does not kill bacteria. Probably though they won't even bother to look and if they do won't reply.
http://thesilveredge.com/video-how-t...bacteria.shtml

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=3q6fp-gbtpM
"Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."
The Following User Says Thank You to snowie For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2013, 08:45 PM
Semper Gumby

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOpie View Post
most of that was greek to me, but here's what I understood:

Thanks dochudson for that pdf.
Yes, that was the bottom line. Nano particle silver in bone cement prevented MRSA during healing when Gentamicin (one of the VERY STRONGEST antibiotics) did not. Nano particle silver is widely used in medicine. And, yes, I do take my own self produced nano particle silver internally for colds and flu. Not preventively like Papa Smurf has for many years. I strongly suspect that he is taking ionic silver (AG+) which is a whole different animal than nano particle metallic silver. We studied Argyria in pathology over 40 years ago.

LO, you have but to ask, I'll find you more research anytime.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:55 PM
Believe in Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowie View Post
"Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."
LOL
And many label the same of people buying into the Mini Ice Ages....
Old 12-30-2013, 08:56 PM
Semper Gumby

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOpie View Post
just technically... did anyone actually do research into the problems that silver causes? Or is it more likely that there's anecdotal evidence saying that silver causes those problems?

I ask, cuz you (rightfully so) automatically assume the science is right.

My guess is, there's no real research either way. There's probably similar anecdotal evidence both ways. The problem is, were those negative side-effects isolated to the use of silver?

What I know is that there are many legit products that use silver in a western-medicine setting.

Here's a starting point:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_uses_of_silver

"CONCLUSION: Silver was the most important antimicrobial agent available before the introduction of antibiotics."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19566416

tse.colloidalsilverkillsviruses.com/pdf/history.pdf‎