Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Food and water > Recipes
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 08-16-2013, 12:14 PM
We 5 Will Survive

Thanked 15,639 Times in 5,885 Posts
Default Diabetic Recipes for LTS

Advertise Here

I've searched several different ways to see if there are any diabetic recipes using different methods for long term storage. Can't find any.

Anybody have any ideas?
I have a group for those of us who like to prospect or mine for gold. Whether it be the person who just prospects with a pan, uses a metal detector or the person who has a giant trommel. Everyone's Welcome!
www.survivalistboards.com/group.php?groupid=370
Old 08-16-2013, 12:37 PM
None

Thanked 72,660 Times in 17,058 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

This is an excellent idea for a thread. I'll look up what I have tucked away and see if any apply or could be adapted to LTS and post back later today.

I look forward to other's suggestions also.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mels thinkingitover For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2013, 04:18 PM
None

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

So sorry, I got to chasing other rabbits and forgot to post these recipes. I have quite a few others also so if there are certain types of foods (breakfast, meat, eggs, etc.) I'll be glad to share them also. Just let me know.

Broccoli-Cauliflower Soup - LTS and diabetic friendly

1/2 cup dehydrated broccoli
1/2 cup dehydrated cauliflower
2 tbsp. dehydrated chopped onion
2 teaspoons chicken bullion (or two squares)*
3 cups water*
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper (I use 1 tsp. but we like pepper a bit more)
1/4 tsp. garlic, powdered
1 cup of powdered non-fat milk mixed into 3 cups of water, divided into 2 1/2 cups, and two 1/4 cup portions (see instructions)
1 plus 1 tbsp. of cornstarch - see directions

Place the broccoli, cauliflower, onion, bullion and water into a dutch oven. Cover, bring to a boil and cook for 15 minutes. Do not drain. Scoop out the vegetables and mash with a potato masher or fork. Return them to the liquid they cooked in. Dissolve 1 tbsp. cornstartch in 1/4 cup milk. Stir into the vegetable mix. Add all of the rest of the ingredients EXCEPT 1/4 cup milk and the remaining tablespoon of cornstarch.
Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently until soup is thickened and bubbly. At this time, if the soup is not thick enough for your family's preferences add the remaining tablespoon of cornstarch dissolved in the remaining 1/4 cup milk and cook an additional 5 minutes. The milk needs to go in one way or the other but the second tablespoon of cornstarch is the optional ingredient.

* You can substitute an equal amount of defatted chicken broth for the water and bullion if desired.

I make no claims about this, run it through your recipe analysis program to verify, but this is what I worked up on this recipe. A 1/2 cup serving counts as 1 vegetable exchange, has 35 calories, 6 carbs, 0 fat and 3gm protein. Don't take this as law, verify it for yourself, I'm no nutritionist.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:39 PM
None

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Easy Blueberry Cobbler - LTS and diabetic friendly

3 cups fresh blueberries OR 1 cup dehydrated or freeze dried blueberries rehydrated and drained
1 tbsp. lemon juice (I keep bottled and powdered in stock)
2 tbsp. powdered egg + 3 tbsp. water, mixed OR 1 egg, beaten
1 cup all purpose flour
Sugar substitute to equal 1 1/2 cups sugar (I only know splenda, I use 1 cup splenda)
1/4 cup reduced calorie margarine (if you use it, I don't) OR 2 1/2 tbsp. butter OR
6 tbsp. powdered butter mixed with 2 tsp. warm water
1/2 tsp. oil - coconut works for this, whatever oil you like best and store

Rub the 1/2 tsp. oil into the bottom of a baking dish (10x6 ish, needs sides a couple of inches high). Mix the lemon juice into the blueberries and spread them out into the pan.
In a separate bowl, mix the egg, flour, and sugar substitute together. This will make a coarse "meal" mix. Sprinkle over the blueberries. Drizzle the butter across the top. Bake for 30 minutes at 375 degrees.

Mel's disclaimer: I'm not a nutritionist. This is how the recipe calculates out for me. Check it for yourself. Diabetic exchanges - 1 starch, 1 fruit, 1 fat Calories - 168, carbs - 27 gms, fat - 6 gms, fiber - 1 gm
Old 08-21-2013, 12:25 AM
Tin Can Sailor

Thanked 2,969 Times in 1,131 Posts

I have always been told by nutritionists and doctors to use real sugar instead of any of the substitutes, as they really are unhealthy.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:31 AM
None

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doh Myn View Post
I have always been told by nutritionists and doctors to use real sugar instead of any of the substitutes, as they really are unhealthy.
The nutritionists we have worked with over the years with my son have always said to use real sugar also, but he does not have diabetes. The nutritionists consulted for the diabetic family member I worked up my recipes for said in the case of diabetes Splenda was a safe option.

I personally stock about a year's worth of Splenda and keep it rotated. I do not stock it in long term storage, but I am not currently stocking for a diabetic family member either. I may well regret someday only having a year's worth of the stuff.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:04 AM
Preparing

Thanked 5,250 Times in 3,114 Posts

I have had to rework my LTS since being diagnosed with type II diabetes. I make my own seasoning packets now to avoid the high glycemic thickeners often found in the commercially prepared packets. I use dried soy beans in place of white rice. Dried soy beans can be ground finely and cooked in stews as a thickener. It's not as smooth as corn starch but the glycemic index is much lower. I also add a little ground dried soy beans to my hand milled wheat flour for non-yeast bread recipes. It makes a dense bread but the flavor is unaffected, the protein content is raised, and the increased time needed to digest soy beans helps keep blood glucose levels a little more stable. Just a few ideas.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:48 AM
Preparing

Thanked 5,250 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mels thinkingitover View Post
The nutritionists we have worked with over the years with my son have always said to use real sugar also, but he does not have diabetes. The nutritionists consulted for the diabetic family member I worked up my recipes for said in the case of diabetes Splenda was a safe option.

I personally stock about a year's worth of Splenda and keep it rotated. I do not stock it in long term storage, but I am not currently stocking for a diabetic family member either. I may well regret someday only having a year's worth of the stuff.
Splenda is nice. Stevia is also quite good.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:55 AM
None

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Lindalou, there are some spice mix recipes here in the recipe section that different ones of us have worked up. I mix all my own spice mixes because many of the additives are not usable in my family. See if there are any there that interest you and please post your mix combinations also. I'd love to see them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mels thinkingitover For This Useful Post: