Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Urban Survival
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here

Old 08-15-2013, 11:42 PM

Talking alert neighbors for help

Advertise Here

The following information is what I think may be useful to anyone that may be disabled, sick, have fallen and received an injury, or if you might be home alone and someone is trying to get into your house or just trespassing on your property.
Most cars/trucks now days have a key fob with remote control to unlock or lock your vehicle. You can use this device also to set off the vehicle alarm if for some reason you need help or feel threatened in any way.
If you let your neighbors in on this information you can all look out for each other. Just let them know that if your vehicle alarm goes off for no apparent reason, that they need to check on you or call the police or EMS folks.
Most of these fobs will work anywhere in your house but you can check to see for sure. If they won’t set off your alarm system, you might need to replace the battery for a few bucks.
This is an alarm system that you probably already have and will cost you nothing to use or operate.
Like I said, be sure to inform your neighbors that they can use the same system to alert others in the neighborhood that they need help for one reason or another.
I have posted this information on our local neighborhood watch group on face book and everyone seems to have liked the idea.
You can also set off your alarm if out shopping and someone approaches you or tries to rob you or steal anything from you.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to sea_goin_dude For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2013, 12:02 AM
Sheepdog

Thanked 1,766 Times in 606 Posts

It's a idea good in theory, but if your neighbors aren't home your plan goes out the window.

Besides most would not have the time or the chance to reach their keys or wherever the alarm button is located, to signal for help. For example, I keep my keys in a basket near my front door, if there is a intruder there's no way I would be able to reach them without a fight. Besides, the neighbors I have are either A. never home or B. to old to do anything. They would be no help.

Another question, how is setting your car alarm off going to stop a intruder? Will your neighbors be able to react quick enough?

While I do see this idea helpful in case of a fire, a fall, or a disabled person (considering they can get to the button), In the scenario of a home invasion, I don't see it working at all.

The best bet, in my opinion, is to have window and door alarms, a firearm, and a home security system for intruders

For elderly in danger of falling, or the disabled, I would recommend Life Alert.

My grandfather in law, who lives no more then two houses from me and my wife, has Life Alert. He has a button, that hangs around his neck, whenever he falls, or feels in danger, he presses the button. Immediately local dispatch is notified, his family is notified, Police and EMS are notified to, all in one go. If there is a fire, the local fire department will be called. All this takes about a minute or less. EMS, fire, or police, and the family are instantly on their way.

Not knocking your idea, this is just my two cents. Everyone has different methods, and if this truly works for you and your neighbors then more power to you. We are constantly keeping in touch with our neighbors, I do night time patrols, we are always on the lookout for suspicious vehicles or people, and if we notice anything out of the place we will quickly place a call to the neighbor in question.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Renegade Ziggy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2013, 03:31 AM
Beep Repaired

Thanked 6,892 Times in 2,239 Posts

I think the idea has some merit but in the neighborhood where I lived people are desensitized to car alarms.

Heck, when my daughter was in HS she would set off half of them in our cul-de-sac every morning when she got in her Bronco and left for school.

And where I live now I doubt anyone would even hear it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OldBlackWater For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2013, 09:43 AM
HOOSIER MEMBER

I agree with OldBlackWater, I live in a medium size city where car alarms
go off more than usual, and most the population ignores them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Punisher56 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2013, 08:59 PM
Rider on the Storm

Thanks for the great idea. My neighbors are disabled and need another viable way to communicate with the rest of us in case of an emergency.

Cell phones, land lines, life alert and such are, of course, the (better) option for alerting folks of trouble but if the plan is discussed prior to implementing it'll will work. Especially for the disabled and seniors. I'd rather have a false alarm than a dead neighbor.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hard_At_It For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2013, 09:15 PM
Insert Custom User Title

Thanked 32,784 Times in 13,772 Posts

Neighbors suck !

Μολών Λaβέ
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ricekila For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2013, 09:22 PM
Comma addict.

Thanked 3,105 Times in 1,055 Posts

Great ideas. I was recently thinking about getting a few canister air horns or a bag of cheap whistles to give to the neighbors if there was an extended blackout or emergency. (The houses in this suburb are very tightly packed.)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SeaBeeDaddy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2014, 10:33 PM

while this isn't the answer to all emergencies, it is free if you do have a vehicle with an alarm. to prevent problems getting to the key fob, keep it in your pocket or pinned to your PJ's It might save a life. Sure it might not run a burglar away but it can't hurt.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:49 PM
Demon of the Midwest

Thanked 7,260 Times in 2,566 Posts

When I lived in the city I knew my neighbors around my house. We had each others numbers in case of an emergency. Just do that, get to know them a little bit, and it helps keep your place safe wile you are away.

If they know who is usually around, and see someone different they call and ask whats up. Or if you see a prowler, call them and let them know, see if they are home or not.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TinmanIA For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2014, 03:32 AM
Hiker

Thanked 1,369 Times in 357 Posts

But what if it is the neighbor breaking in? Still do the alarm thing?

Good idea for those with decent neighbors. Mine would just tell me to F off.
Old 09-14-2014, 04:29 AM
Recent Blog:
Hunter

most of my neighbours are at work during the day, and most of them I wouldn't want inside my house for OPSEC reasons anyway, and nobody reacts to a car or burglar alarm anymore.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:10 AM
Prepared

We have an arrangement with out neighbors. We all look out for one another. If something looks out of place a phone call is made to them and to law enforcement. We cleaned up our neighborhoods over the last 15 years and we are not going to let it slip back to the way it was.

I am intentionally not friends with my neighbors (friendship breeds familiarity, familiarity breeds emotion, emotion breeds drama and I have no use for drama), but I will look out for them.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:34 AM
Recent Blog:
Hunter

also "familiarity breeds contempt".
The Following User Says Thank You to big paul For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2014, 11:36 AM
Target Shooter

I am pretty lucky. I know all my neighbors and most are elderly retired people who are at home and have nothing else to do but watch and call the police- quickly. Sure, this has some drawbacks- everyone knows everybody elses business, but the benefits out weigh the drawbacks:

I joke with my wife that there is no way I could have an affair because three enquiring minds are going to know if another woman spends the night here. Then, four people are going to hint to her that something strange is afoot.

And yes, I wish some of my neighbors were not quite so olde school about presuming some minority groups are automatically problem people, even if it is obvious that the particular people in question are good people.

But at the end of the day, I am not sleeping around so I dont care about the watchers turning informants. I also know that a certain disproportionate number of some minority groups, are in fact, problem people. So, a little over zealousness does not freak me out.
Old 09-14-2014, 01:24 PM
Insert Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
also "familiarity breeds contempt".
My Father used to say that all the time

Μολών Λaβέ
The Following User Says Thank You to Ricekila For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2014, 09:18 AM

exactly, most people are desensitised to such things
Old 09-21-2014, 09:44 PM

I think this is a great idea. my sister that lives in an American city has had a couple of incidents in the last year and is afraid. I just emailed her this information. may not be the best defence but it is hard to concentrate on mayham when a car horn is blaring in your ear. cheers.
Old 09-27-2014, 09:44 AM

Default dont know em

I could see this working in a small group of neighbors that know each other and have spoke of this. Not in the city or dense residential of course.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:36 AM
Insert Custom User Title

^^^ Ever play telephone ?

Μολών Λaβέ
Old 09-28-2014, 09:17 PM
patriarch

Thanked 2,071 Times in 1,084 Posts

Car horns? hear them all the time. What do they mean? I have a grocery store two blocks away, every other customer doesn't know how to unlock their cars properly. The electronics is just too much for most people.

We just had a gentleman wondering the neighborhood. Sleeping on first one and then another porch over night. I hear he has been in the neighborhood for over a week, nobody shared that info with me? What good are neighbors?

The police just picked him up, alcoholic, psychotic, homeless. Say warrants for him in another county. Maybe he can have a good soft bed instead that hard back porch.