Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 08-02-2013, 11:35 AM

Default Ammo Manufacturing Insurance

Advertise Here

So, several months ago my wife and I decided to start our own company. We decided that we would begin an ammunition manufacturing company. Now I know that things seem to be slowly returning to normal, but its not something that I intend to be huge. Just going to build up a stockpile, take it to a gun show or two and sell off what I can. We planned on making our own ammo anyways, so this was a logical step for us.

Anyways, we decided that we would need to insure the business during our planning phase (we're still mostly in that phase at the moment). The biggest problem we have had so far isn't dealing with the ATF (though that has been annoying), hasn't been components or anything, its been trying to find a business that would insure us at all.

Anyone out there know of a good insurance company out there that works with firearm/ammunition related companies? Or thoughts on the subject at all? And yes, I know, exciting subject...insurance...hehe
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Delvan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2013, 01:31 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 102,250 Times in 33,008 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

There are a few that work through the NRA. You might check with them. I was going to set up ammo manufacture some years back and I ran into a couple companies that would insure me that way.
Folks, when starting a thread, please take a moment and consider which forum that thread belongs in. Disaster Preparedness is for disaster preparedness discussions only. There are forums for gun posts, news, politics, general discussion, etc. Please try to start threads in the right forum. This makes the site better for all of us. Thanks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2013, 01:36 PM

I woukd find an independent agent in your area and ask them. They deal with several companies and usually can match your need to the right one.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghrym For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2013, 11:17 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,902 Times in 981 Posts
Default Oh Boy; Where Exactly Do I Start?

Your decision. However, FWIW, I can think off hand of a dozen ways that might work better for you making a little money that are not quite so heavily $regulated$....or $litigated$...or competitive.

You local, friendly non knowledgeable independent insurance agent probably will not have a clue...nor wants to. Yep...like already said before, try the NRA. They might help you. HB of CJ (old coot)

FWIW again, I for one would NEVER buy any ma and pa handloaded ammo at any gunshow. Too many bad personal experiences buying handloads. No disrespect intended or implied. PM me if ya wanna
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HB of CJ For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2013, 12:25 PM

Ya, I've tried to go through both some local and large insurance companies, and all of them so far, as soon as I say the word "firearms related" they have this involuntary cringe and I can tell the conversation is going downhill from there.

I did find a few now, though prices are a bit higher than I had planned on.

As for buying ammo from gun shows, personally, I don't usually either. However, at the big gun show here where i live, there is only one person that ever shows up with ammo (they are hand loaded) and he usually is completely cleaned out by the second day. And personally, this is one of those businesses that, even if it fails, its not a complete loss, cause then the wife and I will never really need to buy ammo again
The Following User Says Thank You to Delvan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2013, 12:31 PM

Where would any one get the idea that ammo supplies are returning to normal??? Still as hard to get as ever here in the northeast.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:52 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,464 Times in 1,408 Posts

I have never bought any handloads from a gun show either -- but mostly because the last time I went to a show was several years ago, before everything in the industry went wacky after Sandy Hook and the movie theatre shooting, back when ammo was regularly (and cheaply) available.

With the way the market is now, price and availability dominate. If you have it, it will sell. If I had the $$ for a more efficient turret-type press and other equipment to produce ammo relatively quickly, I'd be doing it too. Good luck to you!
Old 08-06-2013, 11:43 PM

Thanks for the help guys. I've found several agents that will insure the business without sky high fees. And just as a side note, today is the official start of the company.

The suggestion to go through the NRA was great, thats where I found most of them. Again, thanks for the suggestions guys, heck, I already have (unofficial) orders from people :-D
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Delvan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2013, 01:29 PM
Prepared

I would never buy handloads from someone I didn't know, esp at a gun show.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:47 PM
Prepared

Congrats!

FWIW- When I lived in New England, there was a gun shop that a lot of competition shooters frequented that sold reloads. I used to buy from them all the time. They had 200gr 45 FMJ semi-wadcutters that my 1911 loved... and at half the price of regular ammo. Funny thing was that their reloads were more accurate than the new stuff- Who knew?

Anyway, best of luck in your new endeavour.
The Following User Says Thank You to TipsyMutt For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2013, 05:40 PM
Capability, not scenarios

Thanked 25,964 Times in 7,826 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TipsyMutt View Post
Congrats!

FWIW- When I lived in New England, there was a gun shop that a lot of competition shooters frequented that sold reloads. I used to buy from them all the time. They had 200gr 45 FMJ semi-wadcutters that my 1911 loved... and at half the price of regular ammo. Funny thing was that their reloads were more accurate than the new stuff- Who knew?
Those who handload knew.

It's one of the benefits of handloading, you can make better ammo than the normal commercial stuff. They have to make ammo which loads and shoots in the largest variety of firearms, which means...generic.

A handloader can tune their loads to a specific weapon.

There actually is an official survival guide, but you have to write it yourself - and edit it as the situation changes - and revise it as you learn from your mistakes - and start all over again when things change again. (AceScanner)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goose3 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2013, 01:27 AM

Thats honestly the direction I'm going to be focusing on. Its all going to be about quality ammo more than quantity. Going to make sure the ammo is good, cause honestly I'll be using the same stuff in my guns, and I sure don't want to damage them. Its going to be alot of work, but I think it will be very rewarding. I'm really looking forward to it!
Old 08-09-2013, 08:32 AM
Crusty Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,509 Times in 613 Posts

Good on you! Black Hills Ammunition started out like you are planning. They invested in a few Dillon 1050s and grew organically to become one of the most respected ammunition companies in the industry in terms of quality and value. They started out selling at gun shows.

If you pay attention to detail and keep your books correctly, this could be a lifetime of reward for you.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:05 AM
Retired, Uncommon Drunk

Thanked 2,632 Times in 723 Posts

Best of luck, Delvan, in your new endeavor! Good luck finding bulk components these days, LOL.....Hopefully, things are getting semi-back to normal!

DocZeus
AKA
The Reloading One...
Old 08-09-2013, 09:38 AM
Prepared

Your post got me thinking about an article I read a while ago about Superior Ammunition. Check out their website.

They are a small ammo making company that focuses on high accuracy and reliability. They basically do custom hand loads for those who don’t want to reload themselves. They have a service where you ship your gun to them and they do the load development for you. They also have “sample packs” where you can find what your rifle likes and then just order it from them.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:27 PM
100% Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrvl View Post
Where would any one get the idea that ammo supplies are returning to normal??? Still as hard to get as ever here in the northeast.
Move to F.A. (Free America)
Old 08-12-2013, 02:25 AM

Thanks for the well wishes guys. My wife and I figured, worst case scenario, we wind up with alot of equipment for me to reload ammo for ourselves and our family/friends, and we practically never have to buy ammo again :P

And a couple of you have really hit the nail on the head on what we're planning on doing. Get a few presses, make some real quality ammo and reasonably priced, keep the overhead really low (no storefront at least to start out with), and really use word of mouth as much as possible. I'm not planning on this becoming some multi-million dollar operation or something overnight, but I won't say no to that either :P The real goal is just to keep the company profitable and to keep people shooting, and to bring new shooters into the mix :-D

Just wanted to say thanks for the positive thoughts everyone, and hopefully you guys will see my company listed along with some of the other respected manufacturers. :-D