Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Farming, Gardening & Homesteading
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading and living off the grid.

Advertise Here

Old 08-01-2013, 06:21 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 25,196 Times in 10,045 Posts
Default burning dung

Advertise Here

Horse dung, which by rights ought to be being dug into my garden right now, is burning away merrily in the multifuel burner.

One note to the wise: you need it on the coal setting. It needs air coming up from under a grate to deal with all the chaff and sawdust in it and the dung bits themselves burn rather like coal. it's lighter and it doesn't burn as long, but it is a very good fuel.

edited to save further confusion - talking about dung burning not brands of fireplace.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:40 PM
Recent Blog:
I told you so!

Thanked 2,362 Times in 1,284 Posts

What is the brand name???????? JT
Old 08-01-2013, 06:55 PM
Ooompff

Thanked 28,742 Times in 8,425 Posts

How long does it have to dry before you can burn it, Abs?
The Following User Says Thank You to gamgee For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2013, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamgee View Post
How long does it have to dry before you can burn it, Abs?
Well having done it once I suppose I should call myself an expert!

I don't know. Mine was very dry, having been bought in summer and -ahem- not put in the garden in autumn. I would imagine the drier the better.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:50 AM

Thanked 12,304 Times in 4,511 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolutely! View Post
Horse dung, which by rights ought to be being dug into my garden right now, is burning away merrily in the multifuel burner.

One note to the wise: you need it on the coal setting. It needs air coming up from under a grate to deal with all the chaff and sawdust in it and the dung bits themselves burn rather like coal. it's lighter and it doesn't burn as long, but it is a very good fuel.

edited to save further confusion - talking about dung burning not brands of fireplace.
I Have a Soil sterilizer i built to roast Manure and compost and soil to kill the weed seeds and pathogens with a fire built under the barrel. I Posted to another website showing this and explaining it and recieved an reply from a researcher at Cornel University warning me not to be around the smoke and fumes when the animal manure is burning because of extreme Toxins that are supposedly released when the manure heats up. I burn Cow patties and Peat Bricks I cut from a Bog close to my house also to supplement my Firewood pile. I Don't know if it's toxic or not, the smoke is outside and I'm inside with the Good heat. Thats what counts to me. lol.
Heres my multifuel furnace:
http://www.survivalistboards.com/pic...ictureid=25764
Old 08-02-2013, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscotsman26 View Post
I Have a Soil sterilizer i built to roast Manure and compost and soil to kill the weed seeds and pathogens with a fire built under the barrel. I Posted to another website showing this and explaining it and recieved an reply from a researcher at Cornel University warning me not to be around the smoke and fumes when the animal manure is burning because of extreme Toxins that are supposedly released when the manure heats up. I burn Cow patties and Peat Bricks I cut from a Bog close to my house also to supplement my Firewood pile. I Don't know if it's toxic or not, the smoke is outside and I'm inside with the Good heat. Thats what counts to me. lol.
Heres my multifuel furnace:
http://www.survivalistboards.com/pic...ictureid=25764
Very nice.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:58 AM
Sunshine On My Shoulders

Thanked 4,072 Times in 2,299 Posts

So what's next dung and wattle? Burning corn cobs is about as alternative as I;m gonna get.
The Following User Says Thank You to cranky1950 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2013, 06:04 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,848 Times in 868 Posts

Homesteaders to the prairies burned buffalo chips as a matter of routine, there was little else available. I think cow pies were used in some places where there was no wood after the buffalo were gone.
The Following User Says Thank You to bilmac For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky1950 View Post
So what's next dung and wattle? Burning corn cobs is about as alternative as I;m gonna get.
wattle & daub? heck yeah! although actually really I'm going through a massive yurt stage.

don't judge me.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:49 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 91,188 Times in 30,514 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Burning dung? And here I thought this was going to be a discussion of the after effect of eating hot peppers!

I don't know that I'd want to waste such a critical garden resource. I'd rather burn wood, peat, even surplus corn if I was growing more than I could use. It just seems that no matter how many animals a person has, they still don't generate enough waste to cover the fertilization needs, even when combined with composting. Of course we have pretty poor soil here, so that might be biasing my opinion a bit.
Folks, when starting a thread, please take a moment and consider which forum that thread belongs in. Disaster Preparedness is for disaster preparedness discussions only. There are forums for gun posts, news, politics, general discussion, etc. Please try to start threads in the right forum. This makes the site better for all of us. Thanks.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2013, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Burning dung? And here I thought this was going to be a discussion of the after effect of eating hot peppers!

I don't know that I'd want to waste such a critical garden resource. I'd rather burn wood, peat, even surplus corn if I was growing more than I could use. It just seems that no matter how many animals a person has, they still don't generate enough waste to cover the fertilization needs, even when combined with composting. Of course we have pretty poor soil here, so that might be biasing my opinion a bit.
I agree with you. But if the dung came off someone else's land and you were in a wood poor environment like Alexandra, you might be willing to give it a shot.

Alexandra, the Mongolia of the south...
Old 08-04-2013, 11:52 AM
Survivor

Thanked 14,782 Times in 4,039 Posts

It's easy to forget that it's cold where you are this time of year.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TxHannah For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2013, 05:20 PM
Master Mariner- retired

Thanked 1,143 Times in 438 Posts

Dung has been used as fuel all over the world since the beginning of time.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:41 PM
Target Shooter

I have camp out for long stays in Wyoming and used cow dung, works great, easy to find.
The Following User Says Thank You to lyingelk For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2013, 02:10 PM

Burning dung is daily routine in Afghanistan and many of the world's poorest country, but I've never seen anyone doing in the U.S.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dry_animal_dung_fuel

If you live in a farm and don't it for fertilization, why not? Note that this will set you apart from the crowd. If you go to NYC, I would advise not to tell anyone there, you have a "dung-heater", or people would look at you strangely.
The Following User Says Thank You to countryfree For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2013, 07:19 AM
Prepared

Bad memorys.
The Following User Says Thank You to minitruck83 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2013, 09:12 AM

Thanked 7,499 Times in 3,975 Posts

My neighbors on either side have horses and They scrape their yard all the time . I get loads of manure so I can revitleize the soil .
Thanks for the reminder as a direct fuel.
I was also going to do some expirimenting with making methane gas , hopefuly to run the water heater and or stove.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:13 PM
Euthanize Trolls Founder

Thanked 6,226 Times in 2,013 Posts

I remember my grandparents talking about using cow pies to burn during the depression in South Dakota, thanks for bringing back some memories.

I think this is also a great reminder to everyone to open our minds and always try to think of the multiple uses so many items have.

For me where I live, wood is in much greater supply than manure but you remind me that I need to think of other things in this way as well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OldBlackWater For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolutely! View Post
I agree with you. But if the dung came off someone else's land and you were in a wood poor environment like Alexandra, you might be willing to give it a shot.

Alexandra, the Mongolia of the south...
can you plant some trees there for fuel or do they take too long to grow?
The Following User Says Thank You to Rhubarb For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2013, 05:30 PM

To be honest I'm okay for wood - ish. My house is not well insulated but I can get cheap firewood from the orchard. The down side is having to cut and stack it by myself, and my shoulder joints really start to hurt. Last time I did it I couldn't use either arm for the rest of the weekend. By which I mean I couldn't lift a thing and couldn't cook dinner.

so I don't really want to do that any more. The other wood I bought cost something evil like $400 for 5 m3, which I consider appalling. It was wet, cut up huge and I have had to split a lot to get it in the firebox.

No, the dung idea simply came about because I am researching yurt living, and was hunting down yurt stoves. They have authentic mongolian stoves on Alibaba but of course with minimum numbers - and the prices ended up far too high.

but the burners advertised on alibaba were great for burning 'corn husk, animal dung, waste wood offcuts, straw, grass and coal' - and I remembered the horse pooh I haven't dug in, so I went and had a go.

As I say, structurally like coal, less heat than wood. Good enough if that's all you've got.