Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 07-29-2013, 10:00 AM
-

Thanked 1,796 Times in 598 Posts
Default NatGeo- Ultimate Survival Alaska

Advertise Here

We started watching this show last evening. What a bunch of Nimrods.

http://channel.nationalgeographic.co...rvival-alaska/

The only person on the show worth listening to is the old guy Willi. The rest of the characters are epic fail.

Discuss.

PS: The guy Marty would would never finish a real expedition. If you know what I mean?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gray Man For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2013, 11:08 AM
Improvise Adapt Overcome!

Thanked 9,389 Times in 4,189 Posts

The guys I have been filming with, auditioned for this show. They did not make it. However, the recruiters said they had no doubt they could easily survive the challenge...easily...as in "you guys are good...too good, sorry, we can't use you"

My impression was that they were not looking for guys with real skill. They wanted inept bafoons who "Think" they can do it. They wanted real drama queen type characters.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Vanishing Nomad For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2013, 03:44 PM
-

Thanked 1,796 Times in 598 Posts

Thanks for the info. Now it all makes sense.

Other than the spectacular scenery filmed during the show, I think I'll leave the volume off viewing future episodes.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gray Man For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2013, 04:21 PM

You guys have to remember, these shows are not for *us*. They are for the main stream sheeple who live in the fantasy dream world where their couch, a bowl of popcorn and tub of ice cream allows them to be part of the greatest adventures ever.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vanishing Nomad For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2013, 03:08 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,935 Times in 753 Posts

That's like ice road truckers. biggest bunch of crap and stupidity and just plain pure dee-old nonsense there ever was. if they'd let the real haul road veteran truckers write and do that show, it would have been awesome and would have amazed the world.

for survival, the good ones are mostly gone now that actually lived the life of trapping and homesteading in the bush. and there again, the producers would never let them tell or show the world how they really did it, or actually do, do it.

it's all for show and some producer's imaginations and his romantic ideas of what he thinks people want to see.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Akita For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2013, 03:48 AM
Hunter

I forced myself trough all episodes. Some of the things they do are risky, but it just turns so necessary drama.

I like the old guy, Willy. Top notch. The guy with the bow made me laugh. He carries it all the way and manage to use it barly once.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gullars For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2013, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akita View Post
That's like ice road truckers. biggest bunch of crap and stupidity and just plain pure dee-old nonsense there ever was. if they'd let the real haul road veteran truckers write and do that show, it would have been awesome and would have amazed the world.

for survival, the good ones are mostly gone now that actually lived the life of trapping and homesteading in the bush. and there again, the producers would never let them tell or show the world how they really did it, or actually do, do it.

it's all for show and some producer's imaginations and his romantic ideas of what he thinks people want to see.
I don't know about Iceroad truckers, but I do feel a big part of these wilderness survival shows is about keeping the sheeple thinking the woods are a big bad scarey place so they don't venture off the tracks too much.

I completely support that btw...the woods are crowded enough. Last thing i want is shows on how easy this stuff realy is, and my woods getting filled with people...that i am there to escape from in the first place.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vanishing Nomad For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2013, 09:22 PM
This is a great survival forum

i couldn't get thru the trailer, let alone the show. i think its still in my netflix que, thanks for reminding me to remove it.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:12 PM
Recent Blog:
Survivor

Thanked 2,969 Times in 1,685 Posts

Knowing Dallas makes me giggle of the prospect of him running around with some of these guys but thats show business. Nothing they do on there is any more dangerous than any other outdoor trek in America. Bears, rvers, cold water, heat stroke. . .
The Following User Says Thank You to AKpredator For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2013, 06:03 AM

Its funny and sad when hollywood gets involved in a simple process like surviving in a place thats uber hostile. I lived three years near Eagle,AK and can say with some confidence that the yahoos on that show are just that. The sons and father team must be pig farmers from Kansas. They waste more fuel and rescouces than any common man could afford, and "if it's too heavy it won't fly". Just my humble opinion from a survivor of three winters, two plane wrecks,one bear atack, and being without and making due with no money in the dark.
The Following User Says Thank You to bootmud For This Useful Post: