Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 07-17-2013, 09:11 AM
Capability, not scenarios

Thanked 24,607 Times in 7,432 Posts
Default Massive (planned) SHTF Water Outage DC area

Advertise Here

Nothing like a drill:

http://www.wtop.com/58/3389798/Princ...tural-disaster

Due to imminent failure of a 54-inch water main, they're shutting down water for 150,000 customers in the DC suburbs. Water is expected to be out 3-5 days.

What's interesting about this to me is that they're telling people how to prepare for the outage, and I think they're doing a pretty good job, from how to store tap water in anticipation to how to use grey water to flush toilets.

They're recommending 2 gallons per day per person of storage.

There is a weird quote in the article, saying they'd shut the main down at midnite and the water in the main would last 12-15 hours. I suspect they mean it'll take that long to drain water towers and then allow the main to be replaced.

The response by authorities is pretty good, I think. Those of us who have stored water will, I suspect, mostly approve of what they're telling people.

This is, IMO, a good opportunity to look at what they're doing and comparing our own water plans to what's happening there.

There actually is an official survival guide, but you have to write it yourself - and edit it as the situation changes - and revise it as you learn from your mistakes - and start all over again when things change again. (AceScanner)
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to goose3 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2013, 09:12 AM
Survivor

Thanked 10,685 Times in 4,156 Posts

Planned Heat Induced Trayvon riot generator.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Robot For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2013, 10:00 AM
Bush Walker

Thanked 4,952 Times in 1,826 Posts

think of all the angry thirsty no-showerin' people who can set fires that cannot be put out - this could be a real problem this week - hottest week of the summer up here and they elect this to be the time to shut water off for 5 days?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BUSHER For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2013, 10:10 AM
Blue in a Red state

Thanked 21,816 Times in 7,547 Posts

Seriously? There are plenty of T/Z riot threads to be posting your conspiracy theories in. This thread is about an actual survival situation, that can be used to educate, not about stirring the **** pot. If you REALLY feel the need to do that, please don't do it here. There are some of us that would like to get back to discussing subjects we feel are more important.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2013, 10:12 AM
Survivor

Thanked 10,685 Times in 4,156 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo View Post
Seriously? There are plenty of T/Z riot threads to be posting your conspiracy theories in. This thread is about an actual survival situation, that can be used to educate, not about stirring the **** pot. If you REALLY feel the need to do that, please don't do it here. There are some of us that would like to get back to discussing subjects.
I have the right to express my opinion. Sorry if you dont agree, request to "not do it here" denied.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Robot For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2013, 10:14 AM
Twinkies

Thanked 1,242 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot View Post
Planned Heat Induced Trayvon riot generator.
Like that would not be fun. Riots would cement the need for reality of our not Utopian society to the sheeple.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:20 AM
Twinkies

Thanked 1,242 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHER View Post
think of all the angry thirsty no-showerin' people who can set fires that cannot be put out - this could be a real problem this week - hottest week of the summer up here and they elect this to be the time to shut water off for 5 days?
Then prepare appropriate or do you think SHTF means vacation in Monaco?

Good opportunity to see how people do in your area, personally I think stuff like this to give people pause in their ego eccentric life is a good thing.

I have to wonder how many people have done even something close to this to their family to bring down the hammer of how easily things can go to **** in a society. Probably not many.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:42 AM
Bush Walker

Thanked 4,952 Times in 1,826 Posts

what i was implying was that the timing seemed more than just convenient - hottest day to shut it off - easy to stir people up into a frenzy
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BUSHER For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2013, 10:46 AM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose3 View Post
Nothing like a drill:

http://www.wtop.com/58/3389798/Princ...tural-disaster

Due to imminent failure of a 54-inch water main, they're shutting down water for 150,000 customers in the DC suburbs. Water is expected to be out 3-5 days.
150,000 customers in a major city relies on a four and a half foot water line that has no means of rerouting the water? And with all that heavy equipment that is available, why at least 3 days to complete?
The Following User Says Thank You to TxRanchMedic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxRanchMedic View Post
150,000 customers in a major city relies on a four and a half foot water line that has no means of rerouting the water? And with all that heavy equipment that is available, why at least 3 days to complete?
Could be any number of things, but as a choke point I agree--no redundancy is a very large vulnerability.

In my city, over time dead-end sections of the water system are worked on to allow for loops, which means water could, if they can shut off a section, come in from either side.

Why were dead-end sections allowed? Primarily because it's a lot cheaper and historically people will do the less expensive thing. Now, we try to create loops, which not only helps with potential outages but also improves water quality. You want that water to FLOW.

The water system in my city is set up in two zones, each fed by its own water tower. The two are not connected which means if there's a major main break it'll drain only the one tower, not the other, and once isolated, the other zone can then be connected to provide water.

It's a smart design.

As far as why 3-5 days--you have excavation, preparation of each end of the section to be repaired, and then you need to carefully create a bed in which the pipe sits. It also depends on how long a section they're replacing. And a 54-inch main is a huge main, which means the bed in which it sits also needs to be substantial. My guess is they'll have it done in 3 days, maybe a bit less, but then again, do you have crews that can work around the clock?

I will say this, and it's implied in the article--if i were in charge in that area, some pretty pointed questions would be asked about all this.

There actually is an official survival guide, but you have to write it yourself - and edit it as the situation changes - and revise it as you learn from your mistakes - and start all over again when things change again. (AceScanner)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goose3 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2013, 11:07 AM
Target Shooter

I cannot get the link to open up. It's my location. What I was wondering was the actual dates this will happen.

I hope the OP keeps us up to date on how things go; how unprepared people are, how prepared people are, etc.

I have a house in town with a large garage and have thought about adding a 500 gallon water tank inside as a back up just for this type situation. It wouldn't be too expensive. The tank would be about $600 and the plumbing will be a few dollars of PVC and I would do the work.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwildheart View Post
I cannot get the link to open up. It's my location. What I was wondering was the actual dates this will happen.

I hope the OP keeps us up to date on how things go; how unprepared people are, how prepared people are, etc.

I have a house in town with a large garage and have thought about adding a 500 gallon water tank inside as a back up just for this type situation. It wouldn't be too expensive. The tank would be about $600 and the plumbing will be a few dollars of PVC and I would do the work.
I just clicked the link, still worked for me.

The draw-down started at midnight July 16/17, i.e., about 11 hours ago. I'd guess that water is gone by now.

BTW, if you put in a supplemental tank, you might consider doing something like this:

Sometimes people will put a second non-working water heater in series with their normal water heater, "upstream" from it. Water flows into the first one which serves primarily to temper the water (it warms a bit from the room it's in), then into the real water heater.

If you had such a system, you'd have an extra 40 or so gallons of water "on tap" at any time. And since it was constantly refreshed as you used hot water, you would have no worries about replenishing, treating, or anything like that.

My point is that if you are putting in a supplemental tank you might run it as part of your normal water supply system, and plumb it so you can bypass it. Put a faucet on the bottom and there you are.

And if you really have the right arrangements, you could put a tank someplace higher than a sink in the house, so that you could actually use it as a gravity feed to that sink.

If you do this, think it through carefully and you may find yourself with a honey of a water-storage-and-supply system.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to goose3 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2013, 11:37 AM
Recent Blog:
Hunter

Thanked 3,486 Times in 1,125 Posts

goose3: I hadn't read the article, but the DC Suburbs will be experiencing "difficulties"? Would that be "affluent" areas like Georgetown, Arlington, etc., and NOT the DC INNER-CITY area?

If so...OH those poor, helpless YUPPIES and BUREAUCRATS!
The Following User Says Thank You to LongInTheTooth For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2013, 03:50 PM

It's a non-event now, and it was only going to affect part of a MD suburb in PG county.

http://tinyurl.com/mmpcfpn
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Survivaljeep For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2013, 02:09 PM
An Awesome Dude

Thanked 3,225 Times in 1,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose3
What's interesting about this to me is that they're telling people how to prepare for the outage
Yes they want FULL CONTROL OVER EVERYONE AND EVERTHING!!!!!

Pretty scary!!! (Im sure the FREE water they will be handing out will be loaded with SODIUM FLOURIDE also!!!!)