Survivalist Forum banner

DAK canned Ham

18K views 35 replies 27 participants last post by  seawind 
#1 ·
I get advertisements from an online "survival" supply company and almost every time, I see where they are advertising DAK Hams. I have also read posts from many of you guys about the canned hams and how they are good for LTS as well as great to eat daily. Here is my question... I was in my local grocery store the other day and saw DAK canned Ham in the refrigerated section. Is there a difference in the types of canned hams offered? Are the ones on the shelf (room temp) the same as the ones they have in the refrigerated section? Any reason, other than preference to refrigerate the canned hams?

I guess that leads to a second question. If there is only one type of canned ham and the refrigeration is for immediate consumption, if you use (eat) the canned hams regularly, how do you store yours? In the pantry or in the fridge?

I may buy some for LTS and for immediate eating but thought I was get the scoop on how you guys are storing and consuming.

Thanks in advance..

#3 ·
If the ham is in a plastic container (might look like the metal ones) likely it is a refrigerated ham. The shelf stable hams should be in the canned meat section of your Supermarket. I have a few DAK canned hams as well as a few Brookfield canned hams from Aldis.

#4 ·
Thanks.

I think the ones in the refrigerated section were metal cans but I will check.
I believe Mike's theory is correct that they put them near the other ham products (refrigerated) just so they are beside the other pork products.

I will double check and see that it is not a different can type.

They are less than $4 each around me which is significantly less than the online supplier. of course, my grocery store is convenient to me but others may be better served to get theirs shipped and $1 extra to them is a bargain.

#32 ·
Thanks.

They are less than $4 each around me which is significantly less than the online supplier.
Walmart online has them for $3.82 with free shipping over $45.00. I bought nearly 30 cans a little over a year ago, and paid, as I recall, $2.63 with free shipping.

Reactions: MikeK
#5 ·
DAK is not the only brand of this chopped and pressed ham product.
Our local grocery outlet store has been selling "American Pride" brand...Looks and tastes identical to DAK...I have seen others...AP seems like a good product.
As for refrigeration...Read the can!

#9 ·
I haven't seen DAK up here, but we have a few similar brands like this

Sometimes there's flyer sales where they're $1.99. I buy dozens at a time but it doesn't matter how many I buy, they don't add to the preps, the kids demolish them. That's good stuff right there! Fatty, porky goodness! :thumb:

...5 voracious teens.

I shouldn't judge though. On late evenings I've been known to tear my way into a can with my bare teeth too..

#20 ·
I see the spam hiding behind the ham. Spam, ham, tuna, chicken, etc, etc. It's all better than dirt and rats.

What did you use for shelf support on that if you don't mind my asking?

#12 ·
Just out of curiosity I googled up refrigerated canned hams. The difference between refrigerated hams and shelf stable hams is the shelf stable ones are processed at a higher temperature. This results in several years storage life at room temperature versus 6-9 months storage life for the refrigerated ones in the refrigerator.

Thy also say the higher temps of processing degrade the flavor and texture of the shelf stable ham. That and they generally use lesser quality ham.

http://askkaren.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1218/~/how-long-are-canned-hams-safe?

#19 ·
I learned to can chicken and beef because we don't eat pork and canned chicken tasted horrible to me. We can only stock up on canned fish... but it's nice to know what is good in the ham department for general information.

So -- how is the Aldi's brand canned ham?

#36 ·
Over the years I've stocked up over 40 cans. Some have gone passed the date on their can. Have eaten some two years "out of date"with no problem. If need be I'd hand out the expired ones out to those in need(If I didn't give them out I'd eat them myself). When everything else has gone bad I'll still have my Dak Ham!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.