Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Food and water
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here

Old 07-11-2013, 06:57 PM
Prepaholic

Default I found swollen mylar bags

Advertise Here

I was going through some stuff and found biscuit mix from Honeyville that feel like they're about to pop. No exp date so I called them and gave them the lot number and the kid said they were made in 2009. Well, I bought them in 2011. I opened one and it smells a little off but the kid said to bake them and try it, you'll know by taste...

Would you try it or should I call back and see if I can return them?

Sorry if this is hard to read. Typing on a phone without tapatalk sucks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Humble Hobo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2013, 07:21 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 100,430 Times in 32,604 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Anything with baking powder in it will do that. I've had it happen to #10 cans too. It's safe to use, you just need to add more baking powder.

But it keeps reinforcing what I always say. Don't store that stuff! Baking mixes are so easy to make with the products that do store well that it just doesn't make sense to store mixes that will go off. Baking powder itself goes off, that's why the mixes do and why storing baking powder makes no sense when it's so easy to make from ingredients that do store well. All it is, is baking soda and cream of tartar.
Folks, when starting a thread, please take a moment and consider which forum that thread belongs in. Disaster Preparedness is for disaster preparedness discussions only. There are forums for gun posts, news, politics, general discussion, etc. Please try to start threads in the right forum. This makes the site better for all of us. Thanks.
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2013, 07:29 PM
Prepaholic

Oh, cool, thanks Mike. Still got a lot to learn I do.

Delete this if you want.
The Following User Says Thank You to Humble Hobo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2013, 07:35 PM
Walking methane refinery

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble Hobo View Post
Oh, cool, thanks Mike. Still got a lot to learn I do.

Delete this if you want.
Noway! If you and I have both ran into this problem, I'm sure others have too. I'm glad you brought it up. This is always good info to leave open.
Folks, when starting a thread, please take a moment and consider which forum that thread belongs in. Disaster Preparedness is for disaster preparedness discussions only. There are forums for gun posts, news, politics, general discussion, etc. Please try to start threads in the right forum. This makes the site better for all of us. Thanks.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2013, 07:37 PM
Threadkiller

Thanked 1,902 Times in 703 Posts

This is why I wont store any baking mixes, no matter who makes them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sigmund For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2013, 07:42 PM
Prepaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Noway! If you and I have both ran into this problem, I'm sure others have too. I'm glad you brought it up. This is always good info to leave open.
Cool, I did.search.

Now off to search baking mixes because nothing goes better with preppers chili than cornbread or biscuits.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Humble Hobo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2013, 08:03 PM
Walking methane refinery

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Cool, I did.search.

Now off to search baking mixes because nothing goes better with preppers chili than cornbread or biscuits.
That's the kind of foods that are really simple to just make from scratch with your flour, cornmeal, etc. No worries.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2013, 10:16 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,014 Times in 857 Posts

Humble Hobo, I had a similar thing happen a few weeks ago. I was looking through some things I had sealed in mylar bags when I first started my LTS and came across two small bags of baking powder. They were so bloated they felt like they were going to burst.

I don't remember ever packing any of that as I have stored baking soda and cream of tartar in separate bags for making baking powder as I need it.

To answer your question, I think you should call the company back and see if they'll replace what you have. You bought them for long term storage and have only had them for a couple years.

In a shtf situation, I'd probably go ahead and bake the biscuits up and see how they are. But since that's not an issue, why bother risking it?

Snopes has an article about the safety of outdated and non-outdated pancake mix, cake and brownie mixes, biscuit mixes and the danger they pose to those who are allergic to mold. It's a long article, but worth reading.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/pancake.asp

I don't know how reliable Snopes is. You could probably find information about it somewhere else online.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to IdahoGard'ner For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2013, 10:39 PM
Prepaholic

Thanks for the link. I only have 3 bags so I'll just bake them with some extra baking powder and chaulk it up to a lesson learned.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Humble Hobo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2013, 10:58 PM
I'd double tap that.

Thanked 8,945 Times in 3,070 Posts

also, baking powder often has aluminum in it. but neither baking soda not tartar does. I think it's 2:1, soda:tartar
The Following User Says Thank You to LordOpie For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2013, 11:14 PM
Prepaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOpie View Post
also, baking powder often has aluminum in it. but neither baking soda not tartar does. I think it's 2:1, soda:tartar
I read it's 2 parts tartar to one part soda.
I wonder what the aluminum is for, make it lighter? Haha. Sounds yummy doesn't it.

I think it would be cool to make up some mixes with all the ingredients in separate bags but sealed into one main bag. I'm sure someone's done it already.
The Following User Says Thank You to Humble Hobo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2013, 11:24 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 12,681 Times in 4,956 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoGard'ner View Post
I don't know how reliable Snopes is. You could probably find information about it somewhere else online.
LOL, too funny! You do realize what Snopes is, right? Their whole purpose is to dig for the truth and debunk internet myth. Kind of like saying you aren't sure about trusting Guinness about a world record.

In any case, anything with mold in it can trigger an allergic reaction in some folks. Depending on how sensitive they are any allergic reaction can be life threatening.

Anyway, it is pretty straight forward to put away cooked food for SHTF. Canned goods, home canning, pickling, and dehydration all work well. Some folks can even freeze dry if they are good garage tinkerers.

But baked goods are going to need to be done the old fashioned way. Basic dry goods all separate to begin with, which includes baking powder components, and then baking from scratch. Start with nothing combined before it was stored.
The Following User Says Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2013, 11:34 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanked 2,531 Times in 975 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamZeke View Post
LOL, too funny! You do realize what Snopes is, right? Their whole purpose is to dig for the truth and debunk internet myth. Kind of like saying you aren't sure about trusting Guinness about a world record.

In any case, anything with mold in it can trigger an allergic reaction in some folks. Depending on how sensitive they are any allergic reaction can be life threatening.

Anyway, it is pretty straight forward to put away cooked food for SHTF. Canned goods, home canning, pickling, and dehydration all work well. Some folks can even freeze dry if they are good garage tinkerers.

But baked goods are going to need to be done the old fashioned way. Basic dry goods all separate to begin with, which includes baking powder components, and then baking from scratch. Start with nothing combined before it was stored.
LOL, you do realize Snopes has been found wrong on many "stated facts" right? They especially lean left in their political "facts".

Snopes is not the end all, be all for facts.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Heartlander For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2013, 11:39 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,213 Posts

my bake foods were never here long enough to count as preps. i'm on a diet now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strvger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2013, 11:25 AM
A Round American Woman

If cream of tartar isn't available, just remember to have an acid in the liquid in the recipe. You can use straight baking soda as a leavening if you have sour milk/buttermilk or a yogurt/milk mix as the liquid in the corn bread or biscuits.

1 tbsp of vinegar can sour a cup of milk for any recipe. That's why my pantry has many gallons of vinegar in it, it has many uses.

Old recipes almost always call for sour milk. In days before refrigeration you made things with the milk after it had soured past drinkable.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roslyn For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2013, 11:50 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 12,681 Times in 4,956 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartlander View Post
LOL, you do realize Snopes has been found wrong on many "stated facts" right? They especially lean left in their political "facts".

Snopes is not the end all, be all for facts.
We don’t expect anyone to accept us as the ultimate authority on any topic, which is why our site’s name indicates that it contains reference pages. Unlike the plethora of anonymous individuals who create and send the unsigned, unsourced e-mail messages that are forwarded all over the Internet, we show our work. The research materials we’ve used in the preparation of any particular page are listed in the bibliography displayed at the bottom of that page so that readers who wish to verify the validity of our information may check those sources for themselves.

Yes, they can be wrong and are open about that fact. Yet I have found that most who try to discredit them don't practice the proper method of determining veracity, namely citing as much data and sources as they can. Anyone who has ever properly researched something scientifically knows you require extensive citations to make your case. Simply saying that you found another site that disagrees is hardly proof of a valid contrary position. What you need is a large collection of reference points to give repeat verification, as well as holding those sources to high standards.

There is no perfect site that always has the right answers. Hell, even Guinness that I referenced above knows its records are fallible. What matters isn't if everything is always right, because none can be, but their method of using supporting data. If you leave all positions open ended to ensure revision is allowed and place as many credible sources that you can find, then you have the best method possible. Anyone with a bit of library science training knows this.
The Following User Says Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2013, 04:20 PM
None

Thanked 67,506 Times in 15,972 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
I read it's 2 parts tartar to one part soda.
I wonder what the aluminum is for, make it lighter? Haha. Sounds yummy doesn't it.

I think it would be cool to make up some mixes with all the ingredients in separate bags but sealed into one main bag. I'm sure someone's done it already.
It is 2:1 cream of tartar to baking soda. If you want to make up a bit ahead of time you can add cornstarch to the mix, making it
2:1:1/2 I still wouldn't make up more than a week's worth at a time.

I buy mine in bulk so for the daily use I put it in a small jelly jar and trimmed a measuring spoon to fit the jar height. That way it's easy to retrieve and measure. On the inside of the cabinet I keep a list of common uses and quantities, just in case I'm not the one doing the mixing.

The aluminum that is in some baking powders (not all) is bound to sodium, it is supposed to provide the salt portion of the leavening agent, why that vs. salt I don't know unless it is a moisture absorption issue.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:22 PM
None

Thanked 67,506 Times in 15,972 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Thanks for the link. I only have 3 bags so I'll just bake them with some extra baking powder and chaulk it up to a lesson learned.
Try adding about 1/2 tsp. sugar per cup of baking mix when you are using the baking mixes with expired leavening agents. It's not enough to taste but sometimes there can be a slight bitter taste when you have to double the baking powder. That little bit of sugar will offset it.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:33 PM

Myself, I simply follow a different principle for my survival goods.

I generally buy everything in bulk from warehouse stores or the exchange, and rotate frequently. Everything in my pantry is "survival" stores, from SPAM and cases of water to soups and mixes. And my wife and I use it all, so it rarely sits in there for more then 3-6 months before it is used and replaced.

Far to many people I know "prepped" up after the 1994 Northridge Earthquake, only to forget about the stuff within 2 years. I told several to check their expiration dates in 1999 (Y2K), and almost everybody I knew had nothing but cans and bags of botulism by that time.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mushroom For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2013, 05:54 PM
Walking methane refinery

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushroom View Post
Myself, I simply follow a different principle for my survival goods.

I generally buy everything in bulk from warehouse stores or the exchange, and rotate frequently. Everything in my pantry is "survival" stores, from SPAM and cases of water to soups and mixes. And my wife and I use it all, so it rarely sits in there for more then 3-6 months before it is used and replaced.

Far to many people I know "prepped" up after the 1994 Northridge Earthquake, only to forget about the stuff within 2 years. I told several to check their expiration dates in 1999 (Y2K), and almost everybody I knew had nothing but cans and bags of botulism by that time.
Canned food has no "expiration date". That's a "best by" date. As long as the can is still safely sealed, the food inside is safe to eat, even decades later. 5 years is nothing for canned goods. Notable exception would be high acid foods that can corrode the can from inside, causing microscopic pinholes that bacteria can enter.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post: