Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Food and water
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here

Old 11-03-2008, 03:58 PM

Default Vacuum seal bags vs. Mylar

Advertise Here

I was wondering about the benefits of using a vacuum sealed bag (foodsaver) versus mylar bags for both short and long term food storage. Is one method superior to other? Also how good are the ziplock type mylar bags for long term storage. Thanks.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:09 PM
BM2 Hollywood

Great question, I have been looking for this answer for a while now. I would have gotten mylar bags if I could find them in the stores, but because the vacuum bags and sealer were there, I am now working to get all of my supply in vacuumed bags.

I did observed that the rice can last up to two years after being vacuumed and sealed. Additionally, after being sealed, I am putting the bags in the freezer for 24 hours.

I look forward to what others think about this. Mylar or vacuum sealer system.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:17 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,399 Times in 579 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

All the professional packing houses use mylar and oxygen absorbers for there superpails. None use vacu sealers.

This ought to tell you something.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:30 PM

Arrow here's another Mylar bag thread

More thoughts about ziplocked Mylar bags as well as links to buy.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:12 PM
Bail me out

what about vacuuming sealing mylar bags with oxygen absorbers in them?
Old 11-03-2008, 07:33 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,604 Times in 1,275 Posts
Default Go with Mylar.

Go with Mylar if you can. If Zip lock vac seal is all you have then go for it.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:36 PM
Broken Richaed Grunt

I have put seal an oxygen absorbers in a vacuum sealed bag then place a mylar bag. I'm a redundant bastard.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:35 PM
Gettin' there

Thanked 1,117 Times in 349 Posts

I asked this question in the food/gardening area last week.

I vacuum sealed all my rice & sugar. I swear, if anyone saw me from a distance, they would have thought I was storing coke in my shed!
The sealer did an excellent job. Plus, it will run using my generator and I will at least have something for foods I won't can during the summer like cauliflower and lettuce to stay fresher longer.
I like the sealer. Bought extra bags to last awhile. AND...if all else fails, they are hard as bricks after you seal something. Could knock someone upside the head if need be : )
Old 11-04-2008, 03:08 AM

Thanks for all the replies . From searching here and also the web in general, it seems that mylar is the route to go for long term (more then 2 years) and vacuum seal for items planned to be consumed in a 1 to 2 year time frame. Both can be resealed with careful planning as needed. I do like the idea of smaller "unit dose" sizes in vacuum bags stored in mylar for long term.

I haven't seen any information on the efficacy of the zip lock mylar bags other than what has been posted here. It would seem to me that they would be a redundant system as described above. Will probably just have to try some and see how that goes.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:19 AM
Zombie Exterminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatsmac View Post
Great question, I have been looking for this answer for a while now. I would have gotten mylar bags if I could find them in the stores, but because the vacuum bags and sealer were there, I am now working to get all of my supply in vacuumed bags.

I did observed that the rice can last up to two years after being vacuumed and sealed. Additionally, after being sealed, I am putting the bags in the freezer for 24 hours.

I look forward to what others think about this. Mylar or vacuum sealer system.
Freezing will not kill off bugs,,, remember these critters eggs (which are present in grain products) survive brutal winters unprotected, Keeping it stored in the freezer will keep them from hatching though. Heat will kill them, however.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:41 PM
Obama = Black Bush

Thanked 2,014 Times in 1,011 Posts

Good Mylar bags are about 500+ times more effective as oxygen barriers than Foodsaver type vacuum bags.

I package most dry foods in vacuum packed Mylar bags with oxygen absorbers. Lesser bags mean lesser storage life.

Even so, I have used spaghetti and macaroni stored in Foodsaver bags at 3 years old with zero noticeable loss of quality. I am expecting my Mylar with oxygen absorber packed pastas and grains to be as good as new at 20+ years.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:53 PM

I originally bought mylar and o2 absorbers, which seem to work well as long as you use enough (absorbers). I bought a food saver about 2 weeks ago because I wanted to start packaging bulk bought items in smaller easier to use quantities (like trail mix and homemade jerky and dried fruits). I plan on making some MRE type items that can be grabbed up quickly if I have to go somewhere. The food saver is cool to use, but labor intensive. I did learn that you can save $$ by taking the roll of food saver bags and cut them the desired length and seal the edges long ways (the manual recommends not doing this but I think its just a way for them to make you use more of the product so you have to buy more) Hope that made sense.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:57 PM
Obama = Black Bush

Quote:
Originally Posted by regulator74 View Post
I originally bought mylar and o2 absorbers, which seem to work well as long as you use enough (absorbers). I bought a food saver about 2 weeks ago because I wanted to start packaging bulk bought items in smaller easier to use quantities (like trail mix and homemade jerky and dried fruits). I plan on making some MRE type items that can be grabbed up quickly if I have to go somewhere. The food saver is cool to use, but labor intensive. I did learn that you can save $$ by taking the roll of food saver bags and cut them the desired length and seal the edges long ways (the manual recommends not doing this but I think its just a way for them to make you use more of the product so you have to buy more) Hope that made sense.
Get an impulse sealer for making your bags. It will provide a wider, stronger seal and you don't have to wait between seals. You can work all day long.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:07 AM
VIP Member

I have been using Mylar bags for my storage food for a while now. I ordered the bags, a hand sealer, and some oxygen absorbers from Sorbent Systems and was pleased with there service.

http://www.sorbentsystems.com/mylar.html

I like the mylar because it is a much better oxygen barrier that vacuum bags. Also the mylar helps to block out light that can also degrade the quality of some of the food you are storing.

Sealing your food in smaller bags, with oxygen absorbers, can be a bit time consuming when you are putting up a large quantity of something, but I believe it is worth it in the long run. We try to store what we eat, so when we run low on something we pull a replacement from our storage and then replenish the storage. By packaging our food in usable quantities (say 2kg for beans) I am able to rotate my stock with out breaking the seal on a very large bucket. It would get very expensive to keep putting new oxygen absorbers into the resealed buckets.

When I was looking to purchase the mylar bags I did consider getting some with the zip lock feature but decided against it. The only reason I was looking at them was for backpacking trips, we make our own camping food. I don't think that zip feature would be good for long term storage. If you want to be able to reseal the bags you could just use slightly larger bags than you need and heat seal the end. When you open the bag, carefully cut off the sealed end (about 3/4 of an inch) you can then reseal the bag if you wish.

I still use my vacuum sealer, also bought from Sorbent Systems for things I am putting in the freezer or for items that I want to keep dry in my kits. Both types of bags are useful in the right application.

Regards,

Kevin.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:47 AM

/\ I agree. I just purchased some stuff from sorbent systems and started doing my buckets that way. It isn't that time consuming, though not as easy as just dumping it into a 5 gal mylar bag. Here are what my buckets are looking like now.

I can't fit a full 5 gallons in the bucket, but I can fit 4 with two pounds of salt, and instructions on how to cook rice and beans. You could also fit some sprouting info in the ones with wheat/beans with a sprouting kit (jar and lid setup) plus you only have to open one bag at a time.

Doesn't take that much time, my wife and I did 30 1 gal bags while watching the Boise State game this last Saturday. That is enough for over 7 buckets.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:23 PM
Obama = Black Bush

Quote:
We try to store what we eat, so when we run low on something we pull a replacement from our storage and then replenish the storage. By packaging our food in usable quantities (say 2kg for beans) I am able to rotate my stock with out breaking the seal on a very large bucket. It would get very expensive to keep putting new oxygen absorbers into the resealed buckets.
Since dry foods packed in Mylar bags with oxygen absorbers should last 20+ years, why break them open for living on? I have canned and pseudo-fresh foods for living on but I don't open my long-term storage. If I need rice, I just buy new from the store and pack some and eat some.

This is some of my Mylar packed spaghetti:

I'll add some pics of the rice and other dry foods we pack in Mylar later. Not that there's much to see, just Mylar .
Old 11-08-2008, 12:13 AM
Obama = Black Bush

As promised, here are the pictures of the fruits of my vacuum packing labors.

http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...5&postcount=10
Old 11-08-2008, 12:25 AM
Zombie Exterminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levant View Post
Since dry foods packed in Mylar bags with oxygen absorbers should last 20+ years, why break them open for living on? I have canned and pseudo-fresh foods for living on but I don't open my long-term storage. If I need rice, I just buy new from the store and pack some and eat some.

This is some of my Mylar packed spaghetti:

I'll add some pics of the rice and other dry foods we pack in Mylar later. Not that there's much to see, just Mylar .
It would be a real b*tch to wait until you needed those supplies only to find out something didnt work and they went bad, buggy or whatever, wouldnt it be best to try samples periodically and replace over time just to ensure you have viable food stores?
Old 11-08-2008, 12:33 AM
Obama = Black Bush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palladin View Post
It would be a real b*tch to wait until you needed those supplies only to find out something didnt work and they went bad, buggy or whatever, wouldnt it be best to try samples periodically and replace over time just to ensure you have viable food stores?
Agreed. 100%. But no need to try to rotate it all out for a long time.
Old 11-08-2008, 12:43 AM
Zombie Exterminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levant View Post
Agreed. 100%. But no need to try to rotate it all out for a long time.
Thats why I suggested sample, no sense wasting the mylar, absorbers or time.