Survivalist Forum banner

Stretching a vintage wool hat bigger???

28K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  THE_HUNTERIAM 
#1 ·
Just picked up a sweet vintage wool hat with felt lining and fold down ears. It fits, but a bit on the tight side. Was wondering the best way to get a bit more room by stretching it. Was thinking of soaking it in cold water and then wearing until dry. Any other ideas or better ways? Thanks! :thumb:

#2 ·
I would say no. To my knowledge wool is not like leather. Not only that, after stretching, the hat might actually perform a lot worse. I have quality wool blankets, and clothes, and the word stretching just means ruining to me.

Edit: Though after a few minutes of searching it is believed that 100% wool can be stretched effectively. But if there is other products, like the lining and other things, then it would just kill the hat.

#10 ·
Vinegar is only used to set dye in wool. Soak the hat in cold water and wear it or fit it to a wig/hat form of the correct size. Normally, it will stretch when wet. To shrink a wool hat, steam it slightly. My wife uses a steamer to set the twist in her spun wool. Hot water & agitation will shrink and felt wool. So be careful, don't get it too small. It will be back to where it was. If it has a hat band sown inside, its possible that it will not be able to expand.

It actually doesn't shrink the fibers, it only tightens them together to ratchet them tighter. Does this make sense?

"note"
I asked the experienced wool spinner. She said to mist it with water from a spray bottle and fit it on the correct size form and let it dry.

I was partially right. Shouldn't soak it with water.

#18 ·
I knew I'd seen the vinegar thing in a book.
Taken from "Vin.e.gar" 1001 practical houshold uses. published by PR Books Limited
Shrunken woollens
Shrunken woollen jumpers and other items can usually be stretched back to their original size or shape after washing them in a solution of 1 part white wine vinegar to 2 parts water for 25 minutes. Let the garment air-dry after you've finished stretching it.

I know this doesn't help with the liner but if the wool has enough life in it the outer shell may stretch enough with the above method and just add to or replace the liner

#19 ·
Vinegar is added to lower the pH in all water for washing or soaking wool. Soap & detergent is a high alkalinity (high ph). Used only to remove grease/lanolin & some dirt/dung. Then the wool is rinsed in clean water & vinegar. Heat & agitation shrinks wool, cool water soak with vinegar helps to relax the fibers and can be blocked/stretched to desired fit.
How many spinners or weavers do we have on this forum? How many spinners process the wool from scratch from the farm or purchase it already in a roving/batts?
Washed raw wool drying. Is this from a sheep, llama, or Alpaca? It all looks alike to me. I'm just the husband of the fiber artist.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.