Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Pistol and Revolver Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 11-03-2008, 10:44 AM

Default Good Revolver for Backpacking

Advertise Here

I'm taking a backpacking trip next spring and I want a good revolver to take with me. I am thinking about the Ruger GP100 6" heavy barreled .357 magnum. I decided on a revolver because they are in my opinion more reliable than semi-autos and have a more powerful round selection. any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:57 AM

My wife and I do alot of backpacking.
You may want to consider the weight of the gun,
and the area that you are visiting. I have a glock 19 and a S&W .38+p airweight
Depends on the trip for me
Old 11-03-2008, 11:06 AM
Recent Blog:
Libertys Whisper

I carry this in the woods it is a very good all around pistol it is a Smith And Wesson Model 17. Mine has a ribbed barrel.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:28 AM
Trapper

Depends on where you're backpacking...

S&W 460XVR if in Alaska, Montana or other Grizzly or Polar Bear area.

Taurus Judge is ok.

I'd like to find a S&W 65LS (.357/.38SP excellent accuracy and portability), but so far no luck...
Old 11-03-2008, 11:38 AM
Happiness is 2 at low 8

Depends on what you want the gun for...

If you want something for defense, 2 legged or 4 legged, I'd opt for a 2" or 3" S&W or Taurus lightweight .357Mag. If you're looking for something to plink with or hunt small game I'd opt for the S&W 317 3" kitgun (.22lr - a real featherweight)...

The lightweight .357 Mag's are a bear to shoot, but are a pleasure to carry all day long. Keep in mind there is a 100% chance you'll carry it and, most likely, a miniscule chance you'll need to fire it.

Your choice of a GP100 is good, except for the weight.

Good luck on your trip,

Allan
Old 11-03-2008, 11:56 AM

To me I don't mind the weight of the GP-100. In my area of the country the biggest thing for me to worry about is a black bear or wild boar and I have used the .357 to take both animals. I think that a 6" barrel is a good compromise because it gives me more velocity and less recoil so I can easily make a carefully aimed 2nd shot if need be.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:16 PM
Doomsayer

Thanked 5,799 Times in 2,013 Posts

Quote:
In my area of the country the biggest thing for me to worry about is a black bear or wild boar and I have used the .357 to take both animals.
Then...and I am sorry I GOTTA ask...why are you asking for advice on a pistol for backpacking?!?!?!?
The Following User Says Thank You to Kregener For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2008, 12:27 PM

I am asking because I wanted some more thoughts and info on what other people think would be a good choice and what others thoughts are on the pros and cons of the GP 100
Old 11-03-2008, 12:37 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,396 Times in 1,466 Posts

The .357 is a good choice for a woods/hiking gun, in the lower 48. I find the recoil of the .357 to be sharp, but tolerable. The S&W 686 with a 4" barrel is a good choice weight is comprable to the GP 100 and the seven shot cylinder is a nice touch.

To take full advantage of the versitility of the .357 adjustable sights are a must. The .357 is capable of digesting a wide range of ammunition from mild .38 sp. wadcutters to full house 158 gr. .357 loads.

It goes without saying a quality holster that is comfortable is a must. For hiking choose a holster that allows easy access, retains the revolver securely, and will not get in the way of pack straps and such.
Peter
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2008, 01:12 PM
Target Shooter

If you expect to use it for bears get at least a .357. A GP100 would be a fine choice.

I plan on getting a Ruger Single Six for my backpacking revolver. Comes with a .22 Magnum cylinder so I have a bit more power if I need it. They are very accurate, light, and easy to shoot.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:15 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,370 Times in 527 Posts

My vote is for the S&W 686+ in the .357 variety with 4" or 6" barrel. You can't go wrong with that weapon.
The Following User Says Thank You to snowdog650 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2008, 01:20 PM
Sugar-free

Thanked 5,934 Times in 2,312 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhewett View Post
To me I don't mind the weight of the GP-100. In my area of the country the biggest thing for me to worry about is a black bear or wild boar and I have used the .357 to take both animals. I think that a 6" barrel is a good compromise because it gives me more velocity and less recoil so I can easily make a carefully aimed 2nd shot if need be.
Until you said this, I was going to suggest my favorite backpacking gun. My little Russian seven-shooter, the Nagant revolver. It cost me $79.00, so no worries about throwing it in the pack. It shoots 32,32S&W long, and 32H&R Mag. As well as it's own 7.62 Nagant ammo. It's pretty darned accurate, too. In my neck of the woods, 32H&R mag will handle anything I may run across. You have a different scenario, and the choice seems to be easy. The GP-100 is good, or any 357 mag. If there are lots of black bear, I'd feel more comfortable with a Super Blackhawk .44............
Old 11-03-2008, 01:24 PM
This is a great survival forum

Well as a GP-100 owner myself I can't complain. Being you've already taken bears and boars with yours all ready says alot also. I'd say if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Although I'm trying to save for a Ruger Redhawk 5 1/2" inch in .44 magnum for my large home defense and trail gun. For inside the house I'd use .44 specials and magnum rounds for the trail. I want the bigger hole if the Dems get power and outlaw hollow points. Plus the extra stopping power as added insurance in the bank.

So unless you thinking about upgrading bigger. I'd say you fine right where you are and not worry a bit about it.

Rifleman 336
Old 11-03-2008, 01:37 PM
Survivor

The Redhawk was a bit of a yawner for me until the day I came across one I couldn't resist a 4" barrelled Redhawk in .45 colt...A truely portable punkin launcher.
Peter
Old 11-03-2008, 02:35 PM
Recent Blog:
Libertys Whisper

I have been camping and hiking and living in the Rockies for 35 years. I have only fired my pistol for any reason other that target shooting once. That one time was when two guys shot at me and my wife with 9MM auto pistols. When they emptied their clips from across a small lake I jumped up and laid down on them with my 22. One guy grabbed his arm and screamed like a girl and they both ran like hell. I went after them but they did not take the trail or they were moving fast. I was not going to kill them but I was going to make them have a bad or worse day. I figure the guy I winged was lucky the little CCI hollow points can be deadly. I have never had a cat or a bear bother me in Colorado. But that's Colorado and not Alaska I think the bears are ****ed off in Alaska and they are much bigger. Oh we had a big log in our camp and got behind it as the rounds came in. It was just like an ambush we were eating lunch when it happened I got on top of her behind the log and just got lucky I was not hit.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:00 PM
Sugar-free

Thanked 5,934 Times in 2,312 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakester View Post
I have been camping and hiking and living in the Rockies for 35 years. I have only fired my pistol for any reason other that target shooting once. That one time was when two guys shot at me and my wife with 9MM auto pistols. When they emptied their clips from across a small lake I jumped up and laid down on them with my 22. One guy grabbed his arm and screamed like a girl and they both ran like hell. I went after them but they did not take the trail or they were moving fast. I was not going to kill them but I was going to make them have a bad or worse day. I figure the guy I winged was lucky the little CCI hollow points can be deadly. I have never had a cat or a bear bother me in Colorado. But that's Colorado and not Alaska I think the bears are ****ed off in Alaska and they are much bigger. Oh we had a big log in our camp and got behind it as the rounds came in. It was just like an ambush we were eating lunch when it happened I got on top of her behind the log and just got lucky I was not hit.
I'm glad you didn't get hurt. Why on earth did random people just start shooting at you? That's messed up. I bet you wish you had a scoped 10/22 launching those little CCI's! Probably woulda drilled 'em both. Sounds like you did pretty good for yourself with your handgun. I was out fishing alone once, about 3 miles from the nearest town, and 1 mile from the road where my truck was parked. I ran across another "fisherman" who was acting strangely. Without warning, he pulled a .22 revolver(a big one, I think it was a single six) from his waistband and said "you know what this is for?" I said "no, what is it for?" He said "For shooting turtles." And his eyes were darting about, all nervous. He wasn't pointing the pistol directly at me, kind of off to the side, like he was showing me the gun. He cocked the hammer,kind of absent-mindedly, and as he did that, I drew my cocked and locked Browning Hi-Power from my IWB holster and off-safed it in one movement. I said, "Yeah, me too. I have this thing for shooting turtles too." He said "wow, what is that?" And I told him it was a Browning 9mm. He kind of chuckled and shoved his (still cocked) revolver back in his waistband, and walked back to his fishing gear. I quickly reeled in my lines, and got the heck out of there. To this day, I don't know if he was just a dumb guy actually showing me his tackle box gun, or if he had more sinister intentions. But I do know that I was glad to be carrying that day. You never think something like that is going to happen in a remote location.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:50 PM
Survivor

Yes indeed!
I have increasingly run into strange situations while out and about in the woods...Last october as a matter of fact...I was returning from a morning hunt and noticed the guy leaning on a huge walking stick (ala walking tall) and talking to the wife at the edge of our camp. He was telling her he had cancer and come up into the wood to die and he figured he only had a couple of weeks to live. Further he was camped up on the ridgeline living out of his car and was walking to the river to get some water when he happened by. I mention lunch to the wife and we bid him good by...had one of those something isn't right here feelings...maybe it was the painted sneakers (blue) or the body language. If you have ever had that feeling you know what I mean.
Well stopped by the local sheriffs office on the way out and filed a report, thing is I can respect his wish to die in the woods if that were the case yet know it would have cause a big flap and investigation when the found him. Figured someone should know....Supprise the sheriff not only knew of him, but were looking for him, seems there had been several complaints filed against him in town before he'd dropped out of sight.
Peter
Old 11-04-2008, 04:40 PM
Aquaholic

Thanked 3,516 Times in 1,384 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

I have the GP-100 in 4". I would highly recommend it. I would also stone the action and put a BullsEye spring kit in it.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:05 PM
Survivor

badkarma,
do you reccomend shooting it for several hundred rounds, then if it is still rough and needs some smoothing up add a spring kit and if that doesn't help the situation as a last resort stone the action?
If someone doesn't know what they are doing when it comes to stoning an action it is easy to make matters worse. Stoning=putting wear into the action...
Peter
Old 11-04-2008, 05:10 PM

On a hike near Mt. Evans my buddy and I came across a similar situation where we were downrange of a shooter. Some people decided it would be a great idea to shoot their rifle across the lake that we had stopped to have lunch at. They positioned themselves up in the rocks and fired several shots across the lake. Their line of fire crossed over the hiking trail, the lake where several people were boating, and into the granite on the other side. As soon as we heard the first shot, we moved to a more sheltered location in the large rocks we were having lunch on, trying to protect ourselves mostly from ricochet.

I never felt that they were shooting at us, but was incredibly ****ed about the whole situtation. Looking back on it, I should have stopped at the rangers station on my way out and filed a report.

In the other posters case about the guys shooting at him and his wife across the lake, I wonder if the guys were doing the same thing as the group in my situation, just being a-holes and shooting in an unsecured location. They were probably scared poop-less when rounds began coming BACK!