Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 06-22-2013, 07:14 PM

Default 'Boondock' camping?

Advertise Here

I don't know exactly what it's called...boondock camping, dispersed camping, primitive camping... I always just called it camping but apparently 'camping' around here means paying to set up a tent 10 yards away from dozens of other people.
I'm near the Tulsa area (oklahoma) and I just want to do some real camping in the woods! We have land but I want to go somewhere new. I can't seem to find anywhere other than the Ouchita national forest about 4 hours away from me and I'm not even 100% sure if its allowed there. Even just finding a place to hike would be nice... Real hiking, not parking, walking in a 1/2 mile loop and passing by tons of people!
Is there really nowhere to camp/hike in the woods here? I'm from Alaska and California so I guess I was spoiled on the open land there
The Following User Says Thank You to serpentsdove For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2013, 07:26 PM
Tin Can Sailor

Thanked 2,811 Times in 1,072 Posts

National or State forests are what you'd be looking for. All the different types of Parks that I know of make you stay in a campground.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sue Doh Myn For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2013, 02:50 PM
Family Always Comes First

Thanked 1,772 Times in 459 Posts

Yes, you can camp in the Ouachitas.

There are several parks where you can camp (set up 10 feet away from others as you said) in places like Cedar Creek, Billy Creek and more. But you can also camp pretty much anywhere you would like and stay there up to 14 days before you must move your camp to another spot a few hundred feet away. (They do that so no one sets up permanent squatting camps)

For another place just an hour from Tulsa where you can go and set up a camp, look up the Cherokee Public Hunting Area that is located east of Muskogee on Hwy 62. You do have to set up in the designated camping spots, but unless it's deer or turkey season, you will probably have it almost to yourself.

Seek and Ye Shall Find.

Medic73
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Medic73 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2013, 09:46 AM
Kibitzer

Thanked 3,432 Times in 2,096 Posts

So the real title should have been "where to camp in Oklahoma"?

http://www.travelok.com/state_parks
The Following User Says Thank You to bltjr1951 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2013, 12:31 PM
Kibitzer

Thanked 3,432 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biathlon View Post
I have family in Purcell just south of Norman. They are always a little freaked out when they come to visit here in Wyoming.
Oh please, I've been to Purcell and WY, no freak out.

How about explaining how they "freak out"?
Do they run screaming for the woods or stay inside afraid to come out?
Cause your towns are too small?

My girlfriend in Lander couldn't imagine anywhere without mountains all around.
The Following User Says Thank You to bltjr1951 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2013, 06:12 PM
Family Always Comes First

Thanked 1,772 Times in 459 Posts

Hey SerpentsDove, you would NOT want to go camp in the Ouachitas in hot weather like today. Those mountains reflect the heat down into the valleys and block any winds that might allow some cooling from the heat.

Now summer is not the time to camp there, but almost any other time of the year (except maybe during winter ice storms that hit there) ARE a great time to be there. My favorite time is Spring when the Wild Turkeys are gobbling and the Dogwood Trees are in bloom. Nice!

Medic73
The Following User Says Thank You to Medic73 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2013, 06:39 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,938 Times in 1,349 Posts

Corp of engineers land northside of keystone lake east of Cleveland.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpentsdove View Post
I don't know exactly what it's called...boondock camping, dispersed camping, primitive camping... I always just called it camping but apparently 'camping' around here means paying to set up a tent 10 yards away from dozens of other people.
I'm near the Tulsa area (oklahoma) and I just want to do some real camping in the woods! We have land but I want to go somewhere new. I can't seem to find anywhere other than the Ouchita national forest about 4 hours away from me and I'm not even 100% sure if its allowed there. Even just finding a place to hike would be nice... Real hiking, not parking, walking in a 1/2 mile loop and passing by tons of people!
Is there really nowhere to camp/hike in the woods here? I'm from Alaska and California so I guess I was spoiled on the open land there
Oh man, and I thought it was hard to find in california lol.

Seems the only place that allows that kind of stuff without fire restrictions is in the desert. And most of those places are questionable legally for that purpose - but they are so disgustingly hot and remote that no one drives out there to check.

It appears that people are alot more protective of their trees than their sand lol.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:39 AM
patriarch

Thanked 2,083 Times in 1,090 Posts

Dove............Hope this helps.

http://freecampsites.net/#!tulsa, Ok
Old 06-29-2013, 02:14 AM
Survivor

Thanked 1,447 Times in 977 Posts

I just camp were ever I please.

I don't leave a mess and if I get told I can't I play stupid. O I'm sorry I didn't know. Works well in lots of areas around here just drive down a logging road done.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to haha49 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2013, 12:35 AM

This is the general area I go when I go camping. It seems they call it primitive camping as well. My property line butts up against the park. I'm in Florida though. http://www.floridastateparks.org/oleno/default.cfm
Old 07-01-2013, 09:14 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,791 Times in 697 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biathlon View Post
They got sorta disoriented atop the lookout over the east side of the Winds from Jeffry city to Riverton. Ever been up there?
I lived in Jeffry City in the 60's. Is it the Sand Draw cut off you are talking about?
Old 07-01-2013, 09:21 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,791 Times in 697 Posts

Quote:
I don't know exactly what it's called...boondock camping, dispersed camping, primitive camping... I always just called it camping...
It is the only way to go IMO.

Quote:
...around here means paying to set up a tent 10 yards away from dozens of other people.
I can't do that. I would rather stay home.

In any event good luck on find a local boondock camping spot.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:42 AM
What would Mal do

Thanked 4,886 Times in 1,737 Posts

I'm getting old...but we still do a lot of off-grid camping...wife is a rock hound so we wind up in a lot of places in the middle of no where..no, there are others who come with a pup tent, or sleep in the back of their car or old van, etc...
we like to pull our travel trailer..and with the 4x4 truck I can get it into most places...Honda genny and plenty of propane in the winter means that we still are cozy, get a much needed shower at the end of the day, wipe our bottoms with tp instead of leaves and watch a movie while eating fresh popped popcorn..but we are right there..in the boonies with the other hippies who either stink to high heaven or are taking a sit bath in a small plastic tub...
ya'll go be tough guys all ya want.. I'm built for comfort..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bighanded For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2013, 01:59 PM
Solo Adventurer

Quote:
Badaboom....

http://www.backcountrycamping.info/P...f_the_U.S.html
Old 07-01-2013, 02:52 PM

Being in Texas but originally from Idaho I know I was really disappointed with the limited free camping opportunities. However, that free campsite link posted above is REALLY cool! Thanks for posting that!

My daughter and I just spent 3 hours driving to the Davy Crockett National Forest this past weekend to do some free camping (and hunting season scouting), but it sure would have been nice not to have to drive so far just to find a free campsite!

Tom
Old 07-01-2013, 11:12 PM

I am from and live in west central Texas. Texas is a big place so wherever you are planning on going, it's gonna take a long time to get there. Where I'm located, it takes me 3 to 4 hours to get to almost any of the major cities.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:57 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha49 View Post

I don't leave a mess and if I get told I can't I play stupid. O I'm sorry I didn't know. Works well in lots of areas around here just drive down a logging road done.
I am not sure about where you live but where I am from, we call people like you trespassers. Some camp, some fish, some hunt but all, without permission, are trespassing and are breaking the law and violating someone else's property and privacy.
Unless property is owned by the federal government or state/local government, or set aside for public use, it is private and you shouldn't trespass. Shame on you.

To the OP, good luck in your search. As many have stated, check out some State or National Forest locations. I camp in a local National Forest area in North Georgia a few times a year. it is primitive and other than a few cars on the gravel road coming in, it is quite isolated and private. Good luck to you and have fun but please do it the right way.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pondjumpr For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2013, 08:50 PM

"I am not sure about where you live but where I am from, we call people like you trespassers. Some camp, some fish, some hunt but all, without permission, are trespassing and are breaking the law and violating someone else's property and privacy.
Unless property is owned by the federal government or state/local government, or set aside for public use, it is private and you shouldn't trespass. Shame on you."

Thank you! I have argued with others on this site the same thing, when
they thought the water running through my property gave them the right
to camp along side of the water.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to seven7 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha49 View Post

hell ya that's the way to do it. I would still rather be on BLM or NF.