Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Shotgun Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Shotgun Forum Mossberg, Winchester, Remington, Benelli....

Advertise Here

Old 06-09-2013, 05:40 PM

Default signal flares

Advertise Here

Can you fire signal flares from a 12 gauge shotgun without doing damage to the gun
Old 06-09-2013, 06:54 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 11,168 Times in 4,329 Posts

They make special flare shells just for shotguns. They don't harm the barrel but they do cause a lot of fouling that you need to clean. These shells are also getting harder to find due to regulations on manufacturers.

You can still get them here: http://www.truflareusa.com/product_catalog.htm

Scroll down until you find the Red Comet flares in the cartridges section.

Just remember a few things. Flare gun rounds never go in a shotgun. Shotgun flare shells never go in a flare gun. Only fire shotgun flares from a shotgun that has no choke. All of these mistakes can result in gun and/or operator calamity.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2013, 07:57 PM

Thank you I thought there might be fouling I think I will just get the flare gun.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:25 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 11,168 Times in 4,329 Posts

Just more you have to carry. A flare gun kit can pack several extra pounds and a bit of bulk to your emergency gear. If that gear is going on your back then you just lost the same space as a full sized gun cleaning kit.

Personally, I would rather use the space for a gun cleaning kit and a few flare shells than a flare pistol kit.

Remember too that you are supposed to only use these in dire emergency. A fouled shotgun barrel will be the least of your worries. It's not like the fouling is going to ruin your shotgun or keep you from popping off a normal buckshot round right after that. Yes, if you buy a couple boxes of these and go crazy popping off a dozen rounds and then try using you shotgun again without cleaning you could end up with a stuck wad when you least need it.

Fouled doesn't mean ruined either. Just dirty. Run a swab down the barrel and clean your gun. You should be doing that anyway on days your shoot.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2013, 11:18 AM
What would Mal do

Thanked 4,735 Times in 1,678 Posts

carried the old Marine Corps issue thumb launcher for pilots..the flares themselves were more streamlined than the newones...not any larger diameter than the launcher itself... I think the unit came with launcher and 5 or 6 flare cartridges.
I still have at least one of the old launchers around, but I don't think I could find any reliable cartridges for it.

that aside, it was a very compact solution and having fired a couple of them off I can imagine they would have made an interesting self defense tool as well in a pinch
Old 06-12-2013, 07:16 PM

Since I am a "BIG" Aircrew Survival Equipment collector, I usually carry the M-201 "Gyrojets" that can be found on Gunbroker.com from time to time. These were specifically designed to penetrate through triple canopy jungle, so if you are in a forested area you can launch these without too much regard for deflection.

By the way, bighanded, sounds like you are referring to these?