Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Urban Survival
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here

Old 06-06-2013, 11:17 PM

Default What is the most likely SHTF situation?

Advertise Here

What do you see as the most imminent threat to society as we know it and when do you predict it will happen?
The Following User Says Thank You to FskJester For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2013, 11:40 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 4,508 Times in 2,240 Posts

Economic collapse from the unregulated printing of money. Soon. Food disaster from GMO crops infecting the food chain, once in it will be hell to breed it back out so that the pollinators can survive and do their work.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2013, 05:33 AM
Trapper

The one the governments deny is happening right now!
While everyones eyes are on global warming the iceman has snuck up behind!

10 years in, another 100,000 years to go!

Don't worry about freezing you will starve to death long before that!
Each year crop failures are increasing

But no worries I am just a crackpot ignore me!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Nightwind For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2013, 05:37 AM
Prepared

Generally it will be caused by Government. History has shown this time and time again.

Exactly when, nobody can ever say with certainty.

What IS clear is that it will happen, as it has happened many times before.

War. Famine due to forced resource allocation. Government turning on its own people. Overprinting of money to pay for massive debt spending.

Pick your poison but prepare.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GobSpark For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2013, 08:41 AM
Survivor

Thanked 11,071 Times in 4,345 Posts

MAJOR killer pandemic and where-ever Mother Nature feels like it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Moccasin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2013, 09:01 AM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 97,106 Times in 31,864 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Oh good grief. Another "let's all make a bunch of end of the world" predictions. These don't benefit us in any way at all. All they do is give us a collective black eye. If you look back at all the thousands of predictions made in the last several decades, one thing becomes obvious. Nobody has gotten it right yet. Who are we to think we will? Yet that doesn't stop the nonstop stream of predictions that constantly vomit forth from the survivalist movement.

If we would establish ourselves as sane and reliable sources of information, more people would listen and prepare. But instead we keep making ourselves look like lunatics. That is only going to cost lives in the long run.

And "scenario prepping" just isn't as wise as preparing for "whatever might happen" and staying alert. Focusing on some pet scenario is a good way to be blindsided by things you didn't expect.
Folks, when starting a thread, please take a moment and consider which forum that thread belongs in. Disaster Preparedness is for disaster preparedness discussions only. There are forums for gun posts, news, politics, general discussion, etc. Please try to start threads in the right forum. This makes the site better for all of us. Thanks.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Oh good grief. Another "let's all make a bunch of end of the world" predictions. These don't benefit us in any way at all. All they do is give us a collective black eye. If you look back at all the thousands of predictions made in the last several decades, one thing becomes obvious. Nobody has gotten it right yet. Who are we to think we will? Yet that doesn't stop the nonstop stream of predictions that constantly vomit forth from the survivalist movement.

If we would establish ourselves as sane and reliable sources of information, more people would listen and prepare. But instead we keep making ourselves look like lunatics. That is only going to cost lives in the long run.

And "scenario prepping" just isn't as wise as preparing for "whatever might happen" and staying alert. Focusing on some pet scenario is a good way to be blindsided by things you didn't expect.
While I agree with most of what you stated (especially regarding how preppers/survivalists often come across as lunatics), I must respectfully disagree with the idea that "these don't benefit us in any way at all".

In order to prepare for "whatever may come", we have to assign some degree of probability, so we can properly allocate our scarce resources.

For example, if one were to believe that the most likely SHTF scenario was chemical/biological attack, one would overindex in gas masks, antibiotics, or whatever one thinks might be most useful in surviving that specific scenario. But if you believe chem/bio is highly unlikely (as I do), you won't waste your time and money on those preps and will instead focus on other things.

Again, I completely agree with your overall viewpoint on this type of thread, especially when people reply with their "pet" scenario, which in many cases is so unlikely (asteroid strike, solar flare, alien invasion, etc) as to be laughable.

In the spirit of answering the OP, I believe that the greatest threat we should all be preparing for is climate change. Effects are already being felt at a pace that far exceeds the worst case predictions of only a few years ago.

If you live near sea level, it's time to sell and move while your land is still worth something (to those who don't see what's coming). If you live near the equator, same thing - time to move north (or south) to where temperatures will be more tolerable. Prepare for difficulties in commercial agricultural production, and the secondary effects (possibly including domestic unrest or even war).
Old 06-07-2013, 11:06 AM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Thanked 41,122 Times in 5,654 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Toss up between which will happen first in the next 10 - 15 years. Total destruction of the US economy or the coming war with China.

Just my opinion.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:10 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,815 Times in 1,295 Posts

collapse of the us economy will be followed by collapse of the american gov't.....
Old 06-07-2013, 11:14 AM
Hiker

Thanked 1,208 Times in 378 Posts

Agree with JDY. Even though the weather is a major concern - no one seems to notice that China appears to have the upper hand in dealing with us. They openly infiltrate our electronic systems and steal secrets and technology. They hold massive amounts of our debt - they could ruin us by calling that in legally.
And they have a ton of young able bodied men. I don't understand why they are not perceived as a major threat to our way of life.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jstwaiting For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2013, 11:43 AM
I'll never give up...

IMHO, I believe in what the Bible states in Daniel and Revelations. I know, I know, people are rolling their eyes by now. BUT, even if you're not a believer, it's interesting to see how certain countries are aligning themselves with each other (Russia and Iran) as foretold by the good book. With the coming crash of the stockmarket and the weakening of the U.S., that would be an opportune time for someone to challenge us. As a Christian, I like to study about vast theories pertaining to the coming appocalypse. How and when? Who knows! Rapture? Pre/During/Post appocalypse? There are many verses in scripture that tend to support different points of view. The New World Order and a united currency was fortold as well. Now, we're seeing that first hand. Christians being persicuted (spelling?) in America? Really? YES!

The way I see it is that it's going to be a mixture of events, mainly financial, that starts the clock ticking. Now don't get me wrong. I'm a regular dude and not some wacko guy that wears a sign telling people to repent, but rather a person that looks at the "end" in a lot of different ways. I don't have answers to all the "big" questions. Just like anyone else in this forum. It just makes sense to me. My beliefs are a MAJOR reason why I'm on these boards and have started another "way of life" with prepping.

I think waaaaay too many Christians think that they will be spared from the agony of the appocalypse. I DISAGREE COMPLETELY which is why I'm doing what I'm doing. I welcome ALL COMMENTS and questions pertaining to what I have said. I already know that some people are going to go for my throat on this, and that's OK! Believe me, I'm a big boy and I can take it. My question to you is... Do you think I'm wrong??? LET'S GET IT ON!!!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BigSeanStudd For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2013, 11:50 AM
Old guy who plans ahead

Thanked 3,901 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FskJester View Post
What do you see as the most imminent threat to society as we know it...
The single, greatest, most imminent threat, that I see coming, is the global conspiracy of the Illuminati, who in reality are NOT the uber rich, politically influential and manipulation savvy, but actually are the mega corporations like McDonalds and Walmart, who in concert with the RAND corporation, the reverse vampires (that only come out during the day), the gray space aliens (with their secrect moon base that, oddly enough, only houses two aliens...and one of them is a deaf alcoholic with a strange infatuation with his own navel), a mystical cabal of sorcerers from Portugal (who try to hide their true nature by masquerading as an Armenian folk music band), a rogue Japanese android that escaped from Mitsubishi Labs in Kobe, Japan (and now masquerades as the American "has been" comedian Gallagher), the cashier at my local dollar store who short changed me by $0.17 last night and the demon Pedurabo (who, as rumor has it, is the illegitimate and unholy offspring of a material incarnation of the late wizard Aleister Crowley and one of John Denver's back up singers, but that is only a rumor as no DNA testing has confirmed this).

Anyway, this highly complex and elaborate conspiracy seeks to conquer the world, by using subliminal mind control on the populations of the civilized world, to force them to consume mass quantities of fast food, thus making them into fat blobs that are unsuitable for anything except collecting government handouts, playing video games and whining about life not being fair.

Once all populations are rendered immobile, these conspirators plan to swoop in and seize power, as outlined in "Brain's Big Book of Global Domination", chapter six, page 41.

As to why they want to...your guess is as good as mine?

Quote:
...and when do you predict it will happen?
March 4th, 2019, at 0400 hours, Greenwich mean time...

...or was this a serious question?
The Following User Says Thank You to Staxx For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2013, 11:54 AM
Closed.

Thanked 26,115 Times in 10,995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post

Blame Net Geo New season of Doomsday Preppers
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blackthorn For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2013, 12:01 PM
Beginner Survivor

In my lifetime, I don't believe I'll ever see a world-inclusive SHTF scenario.

What I prep for is home invasion, mother nature, small preserved crises (scare of temporary food/water shortage, etc.) and worst-case scenarios when hiking/camping.

And of course, zombies (is that the lunatic prep vibe we needed?)
Old 06-07-2013, 12:03 PM

The most imminent threat will be people banging down your door 3-days after food supplies diminish. What causes that is irrelevant.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:37 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,857 Times in 1,005 Posts

One of two:

1.) economic collapse
2.) AQ unleashes its sleeper cells
Old 06-07-2013, 12:43 PM
Winter is coming.....

Thanked 10,153 Times in 2,780 Posts

Real life, things happen.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:02 PM
Kibitzer

Thanked 3,326 Times in 2,039 Posts

UFO invasion.
They're getting mad at us for looking at Mars.

FskJester has started several asked before threads.
Sometimes I think FL state is still screwing with us?
Old 06-07-2013, 02:14 PM

Paraphrasing, And He shall cause blindness to fall upon mankind that they should not see truth.

BigSean, as a fellow Christian, you should seriously think about dropping the "Studd". Just sayin... If it's really part of your name then I am wrong.
The Following User Says Thank You to RWS For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2013, 02:30 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,552 Times in 1,522 Posts

I charge 25.00 for reading the future. Cash only. No Bitcoin. Send to Nutty Old Geezer. PO Box BFE, Nowhere, Texas.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nutty Old Geezer For This Useful Post: