Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 10-28-2008, 11:52 PM
I love this forum

Default New protective gas mask for $10.00

Advertise Here

At "cheaperthandirt.com"......phone # 1-800-421-8047.....item #MLT-9104.

Key word here is "new".......I sent for five of them

They look like the American M-49 with the tube to drink water with.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:56 PM

I don't know much about that particular mask, but I purchased this mask and love it. It comes with a solid canvas bag that alone is worth $10.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MIL1200-1.html
Old 10-29-2008, 12:15 AM
I love this forum

Chrischris? looks like a good one.........but.........don't ever buy the one from the state of Israel, usually they get rid of them only once that the rubber begins to deteriorate in the heat of the dessert.....don't buy them.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponce View Post
Chrischris? looks like a good one.........but.........don't ever buy the one from the state of Israel, usually they get rid of them only once that the rubber begins to deteriorate in the heat of the dessert.....don't buy them.
Did I miss something or are you just throwing that out there? I think the one he linked to is a Finnish mask
Old 10-29-2008, 12:43 AM

Ponce,
Is your life only worth $ 10.00 ? Wear it for Halloween only.

Sorry if this ****es you off, it was not meant to. Save and get one that will save your life.

http://www.safetytechint.com/

Last edited by Bubba1; 10-29-2008 at 12:51 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bubba1 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2008, 09:12 AM

What actually goes bad on it? Is it as simple as replacing the filters or will the whole thing dismantle?
Old 10-29-2008, 09:32 AM
Recent Blog:
I'm the boogey man.......

Thanked 8,413 Times in 3,207 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Filters expire and seals dry rot.
The Following User Says Thank You to kahn For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2008, 10:00 AM
Thread Killer

I would recommend getting a mask that accepts 40mm NATO filters.
The Following User Says Thank You to boyscout For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2008, 11:17 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,604 Times in 1,275 Posts
Default Kahn is right

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahn View Post
Filters expire and seals dry rot.
Be very careful with old military masks. They have been sold out for a reason. Age is the most likely thing. Storage conditions are another. I collect old military gear. I have masks dating back to first world war. None is useable today.

Filters are a real problem. If the seals are not good the filter is worthless. A mask that does not fit is also worthless. Masks come in sizes. Stores don't tell you that. When you put a mask on without the filter in place, adjust the straps so that you have a snug fit on your face and then with your palm cover the filter intake. You should not be able to blow out of suck in air at that point. If you can take in air the seal of the mask is not right.

If you wear glasses you may have to adjust your mask or get a special pair of glasses to wear with the mask. To be really effective you need to have a full hood with the mask and protective suit, gloves, and booties. Many agents will get in through your skin as well.

Look for dates of production on any mask you buy. There are some Italian masks on the market that are world class. But they are expensive. They use nato filters. Be careful with any products you buy.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Grinnan Barrett For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2008, 12:39 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatFender View Post
Did I miss something or are you just throwing that out there? I think the one he linked to is a Finnish mask
Yes FlatFender that was what I did because just below the one that I mention they were showing the one from the state of Israel and I read about it in "Consumer Report"

In the one that I mention the filter is new.

I do have two good expensive ones but I am thinking for an emergency and in case someone is near me that they could use one for $10.00, better than having nothing.

When buying a used protective gas mask always bend the rubber face piece all the way around it to see if it is cracked.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:45 AM

Here is the way I see it:

Action vs perfection. You can do something now, or dream of one day having a plan.

I cannot afford to purchase a new, ultra high quality mask. I am much better off getting a jump start on my foods storage and purchasing a surplus mask that will one day make an excellent backup mask that I might even give to a neighbor or keep in the truck.

Most of us have a limited budget, so something is better than nothing. No ones life is worth just a mere $10, but damn it, at least my fiance and I have a gas mask.
The Following User Says Thank You to chrischris For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2008, 03:11 AM

good point
Old 10-30-2008, 08:28 AM
Fight the NWO!!

DO NOT USE THAT MASK!!!!!!!!!!

"
** (old filters are known to have Chromium Toxicity
** and are considered highly dangerous) "

That mask and filter are between 18 and 28 years old!!
If by chance the mask is good still do not put it on with that filter.

You can buy adapters for that mask so it will accept new 40mm filters.
Heres the link:
https://www.mainemilitary.com/produc...idproduct=1632
There may be other sources for those, that was just the first site I saw that had them.

Chromium has been linked to lung cancer in some studies so I wouldn't risk it. Get the adapters and a new filter and ONLY THEN try to use the mask to see if it will seal and stay sealed.
The Following User Says Thank You to TackleBerry For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2008, 12:38 PM
I love this forum

Once again, the filter is a NEW ONE, I spoke to them in person and that's what they told me........will check them out when they come in.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:47 PM
Limpin to safety.

Thanked 16,717 Times in 4,591 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba1 View Post
Ponce,
Is your life only worth $ 10.00 ? Wear it for Halloween only.

Sorry if this ****es you off, it was not meant to. Save and get one that will save your life.

http://www.safetytechint.com/
Man, thats not really fair. Its not a P them off thing, but think about this. How much are the ones you showed him? Is your life worth that much? Many of the people here are on a tight budget. The masks shown if oiled and stored can last an extremely long time. They are guaranteed 20 years, but how many things are still usable past the expiration date? If you think about it, if you buy 5 for 10 bucks, you would probably have a better chance having a working mask then if you put all your eggs in one basket. I also couldn't find a price on the ones you were showing us. I don't even think we can buy them. They were just specs on awesome masks.

My point is that, when you say "how much is your life worth" your asking an unfair question. My life is worth 27.4 Million dollars. Can I afford a 27.4 Million dollar mask? No.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:05 PM
Hunter

The following is a good overview of many surplus masks.

http://approvedgasmasks.com/defective-masks.htm
Old 10-30-2008, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrutchCoR View Post
Man, thats not really fair. Its not a P them off thing, but think about this. How much are the ones you showed him? Is your life worth that much? Many of the people here are on a tight budget. The masks shown if oiled and stored can last an extremely long time. They are guaranteed 20 years, but how many things are still usable past the expiration date? If you think about it, if you buy 5 for 10 bucks, you would probably have a better chance having a working mask then if you put all your eggs in one basket. I also couldn't find a price on the ones you were showing us. I don't even think we can buy them. They were just specs on awesome masks.

My point is that, when you say "how much is your life worth" your asking an unfair question. My life is worth 27.4 Million dollars. Can I afford a 27.4 Million dollar mask? No.
Crutch,

Browsed thru some of your posts, not sure I can convince you of anything, once your mind is set.
Probably the most likely scenario will be an NBC exposure. Get the best equipment. Don't hunt bargains with your life on the line. Get the idea out of your head that GAS MASKS are like GUNS & KNIVES. They are NOT !! The prices on the web-site I provided were unavailable as you stated, the PRODUCT section is being up-dated, I didn't know this. Check back in a few days or select the model you like, and Google their competitors.

Stop crying "Poor Mouth",(NOT AN INSULT, CRUTCH), how much was that rifle you are holding in the photo? How much have you spent in ammo over the past 3 years? Do you own more than "1" rifle and "1" handgun, You can only shoot "1" at a time, Crutch. Do you even have a "SURVIVAL BUDGET" with a percentage directed toward "PRIORITY ITEMS) ? How much money have you spent on less important survival supplies over the past 3 years? ----POINT>>>>PRIORITIZE !! Young Man.

My offer to you and you alone , if you need a good mask, I will go 50/50 on a good mask and filter for you. I'm not rich,I live on a fixed income. My email /contact is available. Contact me and we will get the mask. For this offer , YOU will return the favor to another forum member , on a survival item, within the next 12 months.

We, (Forum Members), share for the most part the same goal, SURVIVAL. We have the resources that many groups before us did not.

WORK TOGETHER
Old 11-01-2008, 03:09 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,021 Times in 3,311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponce View Post
I read about it in "Consumer Report"
Funny, I can't find that report anywhere in their website or the web in general.
How about a link to that report?
Old 11-01-2008, 03:16 PM
Only the Strong Survive

Does anyone know where that I can acquire canisters for standard military gasmasks?

Oops! I found them.

Thank you 1eaglescout. {{{HUG}}}
Old 11-01-2008, 03:34 PM
GrevCon 7

Thanked 11,416 Times in 3,180 Posts

Most of the Isreali masks are fine, however there is extreme danger.

They were collected after being issued. Many of them did not have the atropine auto injector removed from the set. The atropine broke down a decade ago and the injector will still inject the deadly substances it broke down into. This is a brown, muddy, slightly stinky toxic fluid. If you find one of the yellow tubes in your mask set remove it carefully and dispose of it by placing in a sharps container. If remote, place in a jar with lid and bury deeply where it won't be found. The description is in hebrew so you probably won't be able to read it.

Second many of the canisters were opened and used then put back. If they don't have an unbroken string seal, throw them away and buy new ones.