Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Books, Movies & Stories
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 05-14-2013, 04:04 PM
Fine ham ABOUNDS!!!!!!!!

Thanked 38,094 Times in 12,787 Posts
Default "The Purge" movie: 12 hours , once a year to kill anyone ya wanted.

Advertise Here

Old 05-14-2013, 04:14 PM
Pantomime Villain

Thanked 4,874 Times in 2,100 Posts

Doesn't sound very uplifting.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dark Skies For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2013, 04:26 PM
Tired of you people

Thanked 11,354 Times in 4,292 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

pew pew lazers!!!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Straza For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2013, 05:04 PM
Merican Finn. Rand 2016!

Looks like it might be pretty good. I might actually venture into civilization to see it.
The Following User Says Thank You to mountaincat For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2013, 05:28 PM
-.-. --.-

Thanked 10,679 Times in 1,151 Posts

I thought this would be about a new Hollywood diet.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to no_fair_fights For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2013, 05:36 PM
Prepared

My mind reeled w/ the potential rammifications when I first saw this trailer a few weeks ago. I think the concept (not the silly horror movie that it likely turns into, but the overall premise of the society) is much deeper than most will notice.

Dunno... the concept just promotes a whole lot of thought and massive discussion in my circle of friends.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ClipInMag For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2013, 06:21 PM

looks kinda creepy
The Following User Says Thank You to mikets For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2013, 06:21 PM
Trapper

tv trailer shows a regular, suburban, stick-built home.

let's be blunt - given the scenario's premise everyone would be living in bunkers so they could wait it out for those 12 hours, not in a home where your granny could kick in the front door.
The Following User Says Thank You to ncbill For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2013, 07:22 PM
Bushwacker

Thanked 2,196 Times in 1,064 Posts

Person might not care about a bunker if he plans to be out all night.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gankom For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2013, 08:02 PM
Prepared

dunno, think there could be positives and negatives to this premise were it to actually go into effect. positives, pent up rage could be released very efficiently and most likely the punks who would go out trying to kill everyone would most likely be killed by better armed folks. negatives, a crap load of death and some serious getting used to.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigskypreper For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2013, 11:33 PM

Angry Despicable premise contravenes our heritage.

This film should be rejected at every level by patriotic Americans whose birthright, history, values, and faith in a Supreme Deity and EQUALITY OF THE RULE OF LAW FOR ALL is anathema to this premise.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mourning America For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2013, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mourning America View Post
This film should be rejected at every level by patriotic Americans whose birthright, history, values, and faith in a Supreme Deity and EQUALITY OF THE RULE OF LAW FOR ALL is anathema to this premise.
I don't think anyone here is promoting this as something that this nation should actually do. I, like most everyone else I assume, am just interested in the concept. I would never promote this in real life, but it does provoke thought and honestly, I don't think that what the trailer shows would differ to much from many SHTF scenarios. When there's no rule of law, the crazies come out to play.

Levi
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to levik97 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2013, 01:22 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,938 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_fair_fights View Post
I thought this would be about a new Hollywood diet.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:27 AM
Freedom isn't free.

Location: Region 4 - beseiged by communists/ corporate fascists/ criminals...
Thanked 7,485 Times in 2,530 Posts

Government psyop. There they go again trying to manifest and use the masses to engage the law of attraction.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CrypticCRICKET For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2013, 01:31 AM

Exclamation This is ANOTHER divisive tool to destroy US.

My "rant" is directed against the evil hidden in the premises and concept of trash like this. It was devised to foster class, race, and religious dissention among our fellow citizens. IT RENOUNCES THE VERY FOUNDATION STONE OF OUR REPUBLIC:

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

The deep and sincere concerns of those on this board, and our eloquent spokesmen for freedom, are predicated on a REAL AND REASONABLE FEAR that our so-called "leaders" have rejected and disavowed that DECLARATION. That sublime and heaven inspired document published our country's honorable demands for life and liberty, and DEMANDED REDRESS from our oppressors according to established INTERNATIONAL and ETERNAL rules of war. Now, our oppressors scheme and betray us from within such that they COMPEL all our fellow citizens to PREPARE FOR WAR. But our preparations are totally distinct from this "Anti-American" nightmare. If conflict comes, as most here fear it will, we shall remain PROTECTORS OF FREEDOM and DEFENDERS OF OUR HOLY DECLARATION OF INFEPENDENCE. God bless America, and rebuke all who seek to profit from such exercises in evil through such media as this movie.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mourning America For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2013, 01:52 AM
Never compromise.

Thanked 11,745 Times in 3,607 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mourning America View Post
My "rant" is directed against the evil hidden in the premises and concept of trash like this. It was devised to foster class, race, and religious dissention among our fellow citizens. IT RENOUNCES THE VERY FOUNDATION STONE OF OUR REPUBLIC:

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

The deep and sincere concerns of those on this board, and our eloquent spokesmen for freedom, are predicated on a REAL AND REASONABLE FEAR that our so-called "leaders" have rejected and disavowed that DECLARATION. That sublime and heaven inspired document published our country's honorable demands for life and liberty, and DEMANDED REDRESS from our oppressors according to established INTERNATIONAL and ETERNAL rules of war. Now, our oppressors scheme and betray us from within such that they COMPEL all our fellow citizens to PREPARE FOR WAR. But our preparations are totally distinct from this "Anti-American" nightmare. If conflict comes, as most here fear it will, we shall remain PROTECTORS OF FREEDOM and DEFENDERS OF OUR HOLY DECLARATION OF INFEPENDENCE. God bless America, and rebuke all who seek to profit from such exercises in evil through such media as this movie.
Woowoo! I see you're new around here. My guess is you're going to provide us with lots of entertainment.

Welcome.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MonsterMash For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2013, 07:14 AM
Southern Hemispherian

Interesting idea - could be worth a look. EDIT: The movie could be worth a look, *not* the implementation of such a concept into society.

Mourning America, you might be reading a bit much into a movie - I think it's just another tool to make Hollywood some money, but interesting point, and welcome to the site.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dp For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2013, 07:19 AM
Allergic to Bull****

Thanked 15,405 Times in 5,456 Posts

This is how the likes of VaTrader01 and other anarchists think society should be in general.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BJJ_Grappler For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2013, 07:44 AM
Learning

Thanked 3,733 Times in 1,918 Posts

While I think there are undertones to this film...potentially racism, etc. I think the interesting thing is the name of the film. Does the premise indicate that there are too many people living and the numbers need to be dropped or is it just to let out pent up rage?

If it just about letting out pent up rage I wouldn't doubt it is plainly a play off of the flash mobs that never get into trouble as long as the crowd involved is large enough.

But yes, the trailer and premise look stupid. The redeeming part of the movie is to show it to your family and drill into them opsec...the girl is stupid for letting the guy into their house.

Finally, if there was such a thing everyone would be in hiding and only the crazies would be out and finally, if there were no laws wouldn't you just burn the house down? Wouldn't you just drive an explosive laiden truck right up to the door? Steal a gas tanker, propane truck and destroy the house and everyone in it? There are so many other ways "if all laws are suspended for 12 hours"...in my opinion everything would be considerably worse than the film portrays. The only hesitation would be potential reprisal on next year's day.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Preacherboy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2013, 08:30 AM
Southern Hemispherian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacherboy View Post
Finally, if there was such a thing everyone would be in hiding and only the crazies would be out and finally, if there were no laws wouldn't you just burn the house down? Wouldn't you just drive an explosive laiden truck right up to the door? Steal a gas tanker, propane truck and destroy the house and everyone in it? There are so many other ways "if all laws are suspended for 12 hours"...in my opinion everything would be considerably worse than the film portrays. The only hesitation would be potential reprisal on next year's day.
Might be too much trouble or too time consuming when you've only got 12 hours, especially if all you're really after is a bit of slash'n'dash for fun.
The Following User Says Thank You to dp For This Useful Post: