Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Knives, Swords & Axes
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Knives, Swords & Axes Survival knives, multi-tools, gerber, buck, cold steel, leather man.....

Advertise Here

Old 10-05-2007, 02:30 AM
The end is near.

Thanked 1,068 Times in 451 Posts
Default Ice Pick for self defense?

Advertise Here

So, here's the history. I tried to create a belt-buckle-knife that kept the blade completely hidden yet could be drawn and deployed quickly. The knife itself was a push blade. Bottom line was that I failed to accomplish this. I've got a prototype that works OK, but it didn't meet all my expectations. It couldn't be drawn as quick as I wanted. To make it draw quick enough I'd have to make the handle thicker/easier to grab. Doing that would not allow the buckle to hide the knife completely. I wasn't willing to settle for either a partially hidden blade or one that could not be drawn fast enough to be used once an attack had already started.

Now, I either give up entirely or do what I always do, which is to find another way to accomplish the same thing.

These are the criteria: 1. It must be completely hidden. 2. It must be easily and very quickly drawn. 3. It should be hidden in something that you wear all of the time so as to be armed with it at all times.

Next I'll be trying to conceal an icepick. I plan to use a push handle with the pick and conceal it under a belt. I know I can make it extremely fast on the draw and keep it hidden well. I'm not so sure about how effective it will be in actual use.

I was wondering what you all thought of an ice pick, used like a push knife, as a quick and dirty defense tool. Yes, I know it will probably be illegal to carry in most places, maybe even illegal to sell it. I'm more interested in what you think of this weapon as a self-defense tool when it comes to effectiveness. Will it work? Would this weapon allow you to get one or two attackers off of you? What problems, beyond concealing it or its legality, do you see with using a weapon like this?

Thanks for any comments.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:50 AM
Elitist Gun Snob

I have a good friend who was stabbed multiple times in a prison riot with what essentially was an 'icepick'. It was actually a prison shank fashioned from a piece of rigid wire and sharpened to a point, but you see how they're extremely similar. One of the major reasons these are so popular in that realm is 1) they're easily made and extremely easily concealed; 2) They make a very small entry wound that usually clots very quickly. So while it looks like nothing major happened and the victim just got a little stick in the side, he's actually hemorrhaging internally, effectively bleeding to death, and often times isn't caught in time to save the life.

SO.....as a concealed weapon, not very threatening, or damaging, but if you're looking to possibly go to jail for manslaughter with a fabricated weapon (which can be used to indicate in court that you possibly premeditated the murder, since you made the weapon) I'd say the ice pick is for you!

In all seriousness, I wouldn't bother with it. Get a pistol and a concealed permit. If you plan on carrying something, do it legally. Plus, there's always the old adage..."never take a knife to a gun fight (or 'ice pick' for that matter)".
Old 10-05-2007, 03:21 AM
The end is near.

Thanked 1,068 Times in 451 Posts

I appreciate the input, DeadHorrorFan. And I take your point on the legality. Still, never know when you'll be attacked by an ice block.

A couple of points on bringing this to a gunfight. 1. Don't. 2. It would be foolish, so Don't. 3. You will be killed, so Don't.

Something like this is an absolute last ditch weapon, something that can be pulled and used quickly while remaining hidden till drawn. And, yea, it would be cool to create something like this and have it work.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:57 AM
Prepared

You can conceal a knife by just untucking your shirt if the dress code permits. A knife is probably more important than some think. It is possible to get into a scuffle before you're able to draw your gun. If you can't get to your gun, a knife would be good to have if it was within reach.

For example: right hand person, appendix carry gun and 3 inch fixed blade knife handle down on left side. Say you're in a scuffle, and someone's trying to get your gun out for you. A knife would be a good thing to have (or backup gun or both). This is just an example. I'm not an expert.

Also, a knife thrust with accompanied slash as you pull out probably leaves a bigger hole than a handgun would. Don't get me wrong - in a gunfight, I'd like to be the guy 500 yards away with the sniper rifle.

I'd take the ice pick if it was the only thing I had - business trip to some NPE (non permissive environment) for example. But then a philips screwdriver might be a better option here.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:03 PM
"Et si omnes ego non"

Leon (or was it Leo) Trotsky was assassinated by an ice pick
Old 10-07-2007, 08:00 PM
Quiet One

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

As far as belt buckle weapons go...when I was on the Gun Show circuit here in Va, abt 5 years back..they made a buckle designed to hold a two shot derringer, allowing legal open carry of the weapon, while still hiding it in plain sight. I do not know if these are still made, just remember seeing them, and have no idea how quickly you could draw from it, I just was amused by the idea.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:12 PM
Elitist Gun Snob

THESE are nice.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:23 PM
Quiet One

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadHorrorFan View Post
THESE are nice.
Yep, guess they are still on the market...that's what I was mentioning.