Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > DIY - Do It Yourself
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 04-19-2013, 09:30 AM

Default DIY water wheel generator

Advertise Here

Anyone have any ideas about this ?????
Old 04-19-2013, 11:37 AM
human

Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,178 Posts

Sure, lots of ideas.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:04 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 5,492 Times in 2,606 Posts

Inflatable pontoon raft (personal fishing platform) tethered in river curve by several strands of field wire (WD1TT). On board raft, a paddle wheel constructed of rear bike wheel with clip on boards, chain drive to an internally regulated self exciting alternator. Feed DC up the tether to base camp, enjoy LED light, computer, tunes, maybe even an electric blanket.

300' of 1" flexible plastic tubing deployed up creek bed for 75' of vertical head. Rear bike wheel with clip on pelton wheel cups. Chain driven internally regulated self exciting alternator. Pelton wheels are noisy so you should camp farther away, perhaps an inverter to AC with power carrying lines or rechargeable batteries.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:17 PM
life member

Thanked 1,991 Times in 665 Posts

I would use pvc pipe facing up stream and reduce it to increase the flow of water.
direct it to a paddle wheel that is connected to a generator.
maybe some type of inlet screen to keep the chunks out
Old 04-19-2013, 01:27 PM
shottist. Brit spelling.

Thanked 7,571 Times in 3,859 Posts

Run a search for historic windmills in your area, and in the rest of Appalachia, and you'll find more pictures than you can use of overshot wheels, undershot wheels, and even the occasional drop-wheel rig. Then go take a long and serious look at a Ferris wheel at one of the spring carnivals and see how it is made light, simple and easy to break down. Then go for it....

Location will have to have good flow and a decent drop. A gallon of water weighs a bit over eight pounds, and a fall of ten feet will give you about eighty foot pounds per gallon. You won't get more energy out of the system than the water will put into it.

As to reduction fittings, they increase pressure, not flow. If you have a good drop with considerable volume, a reduction fitting and a pelton wheel will give you pretty efficient spin at generator RPMs.

6556, sound like some of the steam stuff?
Old 04-19-2013, 05:50 PM
Crazy

Thanked 3,205 Times in 1,192 Posts

rocket city rednecks build one on a pontoon boat
Old 04-19-2013, 11:47 PM
human

In order to respond with any useful info a LOT of information is needed.

One could post.. "any thoughts on space travel" "any thoughts on building a boat" "any thoughts on painting' "any thoughts on gravity"

A waterwheel generator? Well... What would you like to generate? how much? Do you want to lite an LED or to supply all the electrical power for a town? What about location? is it a brook that's two three inches deep and a foot across? Is it a river that freezes for several months a year? Is it (by local government) a navigable water way that has boat traffic?
Does this water way flood?
Do you want to carry this waterwheel around with you? Will it be a permanent installation?
Do you already have some parts that you would like to use?
Do you have a budget? Do you have any craftsmanship skills? Electronics? mechanics? carpenter? what about Tools?

I could go on, and so could others.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:10 AM
Hiker

Ive seen a water generator thats not a water wheel but more of like a boat motor droped into the water with a cage around the prop. It didn't generate alot of power but it was a way to do with with out effecting the natural ecosystem. We have lots of salmon around here and the hippies go bonkers if you dam things up. Its also good for areas that freeze because you could remove it easily.

Might be something you could look into.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6556 View Post
In order to respond with any useful info a LOT of information is needed.

I could go on, and so could others.
Why do some of you people insist on berating and patronizing people in these threads? It's really out of control on these boards lately. I can't speak for the OP on exactly what info they were after with this thread, but I can be almost 100% certain it wasn't the dialog you contributed in your reply. Nor the implied condescending tone you used.

I have a suggestion for you and others that post similar types of replies. If, in the future, you happen upon threads that either (a) you don't like, or (b) aren't offered in the same manner you would write your own thread, simply ignore them and move along. You won't even need to waste your time writing the snarky replies like the one above. It's really quite simple to do.

However, if you simply cannot resist the urge to say something, then try to talk to people in the same way you would like to be talked to. Think about how you would talk to someone in a face-to-face conversation, and try to emulate that type of talk when writing your reply.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nexusq2 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2013, 12:13 PM
human

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexusq2 View Post
Why do some of you people insist on berating and patronizing people in these threads? It's really out of control on these boards lately. I can't speak for the OP on exactly what info they were after with this thread, but I can be almost 100% certain it wasn't the dialog you contributed in your reply. Nor the implied condescending tone you used.

I have a suggestion for you and others that post similar types of replies. If, in the future, you happen upon threads that either (a) you don't like, or (b) aren't offered in the same manner you would write your own thread, simply ignore them and move along. You won't even need to waste your time writing the snarky replies like the one above. It's really quite simple to do.

However, if you simply cannot resist the urge to say something, then try to talk to people in the same way you would like to be talked to. Think about how you would talk to someone in a face-to-face conversation, and try to emulate that type of talk when writing your reply.
Well... EXCUSE ME! I forget that some here have such thin skin, and apparently limited understanding of the topic.

You whine about my questions, which one/s do you feel are unnecessary for a valid 'intelligent' reply?

If someone starts a thread looking for advise, or comments, some which could take consider time to compose as well as many avenues, it's not unreasonable to request a few details.

I look forward to your "ideas about this" (waterwheel generators)
Old 04-20-2013, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6556 View Post
Well... EXCUSE ME! I forget that some here have such thin skin, and apparently limited understanding of the topic.

You whine about my questions, which one/s do you feel are unnecessary for a valid 'intelligent' reply?

If someone starts a thread looking for advise, or comments, some which could take consider time to compose as well as many avenues, it's not unreasonable to request a few details.

I look forward to your "ideas about this" (waterwheel generators)
Sure. How about this as an alternative dialog (as opposed to your condescending style):

"I'd like to help you with your water wheel generator, however, I'd need a bit more information first. For instance, do you intend to use this to generate power for a couple of light bulbs, or for something more substantial? At the same time, it would be nice to know how familiar you are with electrical and mechanical systems. These kind of details will help me and other forum members give you better advise, without making too many assumptions."

You get it? Something along those lines.

Again, and this may be difficult for you to accept, people are much more responsive when you actually treat them with respect and kindness. Perhaps you are more used to the "pound me over the head" types of exchanges, like the litany of questions you put forth above? However, I assure you that generally you won't get the best exchange of dialog that way.

By the way, your first reply to this thread was "stellar" in content. I surmise you didn't get the intended results with that one? Let me ask again: If the OP's original post bothers you so much, why do you take the time to reply at all?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nexusq2 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2013, 06:33 PM

Walleye...

Here's a link to one type of water wheel generator. Might give you some ideas.

http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects...WaterWheel.htm
Old 04-20-2013, 07:16 PM
Prepared

Quote:

I didn't read it that way at all. The first thing I thought when I read the OP was "Boy, that's an incredibly broad scope of inquiry." My next instinct was to ask for the same information as 6556 did.

To OP,
Have you read this? http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
The Following User Says Thank You to ski.ninja For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2013, 07:29 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,634 Times in 1,534 Posts

Free Kindle download:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pastornator For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2013, 08:41 PM
human

Quote:
Sure. How about this as an alternative dialog (as opposed to your condescending style):

"I'd like to help you with your water wheel generator, however, I'd need a bit more information first. For instance, do you intend to use this to generate power for a couple of light bulbs, or for something more substantial? At the same time, it would be nice to know how familiar you are with electrical and mechanical systems. These kind of details will help me and other forum members give you better advise, without making too many assumptions."

You get it? Something along those lines.

Again, and this may be difficult for you to accept, people are much more responsive when you actually treat them with respect and kindness. Perhaps you are more used to the "pound me over the head" types of exchanges, like the litany of questions you put forth above? However, I assure you that generally you won't get the best exchange of dialog that way.

By the way, your first reply to this thread was "stellar" in content. I surmise you didn't get the intended results with that one? Let me ask again: If the OP's original post bothers you so much, why do you take the time to reply at all?
Now who is trying to be condescending ?

Rather than choosing to ignore my post you elect to attack and attempt to bully.
you think my remarks are improper, and I think you're just trying to start up an argument. You need to get a handle on your feelings and grow up.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:03 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 5,492 Times in 2,606 Posts

Thanks for the link to the free book pastornator.

Hopefully I can get the pelton wheel cups cast this summer and weld up the clamps to use with the draw knifed planks. Useful to be able to take advantage of either flow or pressure. More than likely will build my own small alternator or find a proper sized permeate magnet DC motor.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:33 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,371 Times in 1,015 Posts

I live close to a river that is about 75 feet wide and fast running shoals. Perfect place for a floating water wheel powering a generator.
Large pulley cabled to a tree on the other side of the river, and a pulley cabled to a tree on my side of the river and a cable loop from pulley to pulley,(like an outside clothes line) up about 25' in the trees. Attach a 75' long cable to the "Clothes line"" cable and pull the raft with a 8' dia water wheel and a electric generator out in the middle of the fast running shoals. When not in use I could pull the raft back to the river bank and tie off. Power wires from the generator and run attached to the steel cable to the river bank to a small 6'X 8' shed that houses the batteries and AC inverter for 120volt AC to my house.
The only thing that is standing in my way is the Gov, Darn-- so I guess I will just have to buy more solar panels for my system. Pops
Old 04-20-2013, 09:37 PM
IT'S A MADHOUSE!

Thanked 1,599 Times in 659 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=MAWNPqSvbeY#!

this is a good video to get you pointed in the right direction
Old 04-21-2013, 12:05 AM
human

If anyone has the location and deep pockets this would be the place to start.

http://www.waterwheelfactory.com/
Old 04-21-2013, 07:30 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,634 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliemeyer007 View Post
Thanks for the link to the free book pastornator.

Hopefully I can get the pelton wheel cups cast this summer and weld up the clamps to use with the draw knifed planks. Useful to be able to take advantage of either flow or pressure. More than likely will build my own small alternator or find a proper sized permeate magnet DC motor.
I found it useful for data like how much water, how much drop, etc., plus the technology level was akin to that of a home-built nature would be today.

Also found this on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scott-Hydro-...item3f22527e38

Might give further ideas.