Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 04-10-2013, 08:03 AM

Default Prepping advice for a newbie living in a anti-prepping household

Advertise Here

Afternoon everyone,

I am very interested in prepping for any potential disasters but the trouble is my family will object to me being able to prep as they have that 'o dont be silly, it will never happen here (UK)' mentality!

I live with my grandparents so its their house and I know if I started to prep there would be silly arguments and I will not be allowed to do it.

I was wondering if anyone is in a similar situation and how they got around it?

In addition, I am going to prep anyway but it will have to be done secretely so I would hhave to find places where my prep hoard will not be found :D.

Any tips/areas I should try?

I hate the idea of not being ready!

Many thanks,

Samuel
The Following User Says Thank You to Samuel1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2013, 08:20 AM

What kind of prepping are you thinking of doing, stockpiling or homesteading? Growing veggies can just be a hobby. Chicken eggs from home just taste better. There's a good sale on spam so I bought some extras. I like to go hiking and camping so I have a nice bag packed and ready to go so I can get out into the woods.

Maybe you could not call it prepping and instead call it living the life you want and they'll buy it. My biggest thing I tell people is not act all freaky scared. "The sky is falling" sounds like a crazy person. "This is me having fun" makes it sound like you just have a new hobby that does no harm.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stillroom Maid For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2013, 08:45 AM
Dont Touch It!!!!!!

Move out......
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to somc74 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2013, 09:10 AM
Logic is my Super Power

Thanked 1,915 Times in 710 Posts

Are you 18 or older? That would make a big difference. I would go the route of the above poster. Call it wanting to learn more sustainable living. The first thing you should do is learn. There are several downloads on this forum with great reading materials. There are prepping websites, etc. Main thing is to learn how to do basic things. Start fires without matches; learn to make weapons. I know the UK is not the best place to do this but learn flint knapping, how to make a bow and arrows. Learn to can. I bet your grandmother could help you with that. Learn to purify water. Knowledge is power. Without knowledge, all the cool preps in the world won't help you one little bit.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sagewillow For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2013, 09:45 AM
Young Adult

A lot of things that involve prepping are usually day to day things depending if you are going towards a farming aspect or are you some where in the city?
The Following User Says Thank You to SurvivalDingo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2013, 10:09 AM
confused no longer!

Find folks in your local area who are prepping and join the group. If your able to network with like minded folks you may be able to branch out and prep with a family or community. Time is precious for sure. God bless
The Following User Says Thank You to patriot momma For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2013, 10:15 AM
Kibitzer

Thanked 3,432 Times in 2,096 Posts

If they're old enough, they'll remember when times were tough.
Remember WW2? That should rattle their minds.

Have Gram teach you how to cook. Surely she knows some good scratch meals?

Otherwise move out and make a life on your own. Don't leech off your grandfolks.
The Following User Says Thank You to bltjr1951 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2013, 10:16 AM
BASS

I can appreciate your position living with grandparents that "think it is silly". I think they should rememnber WW2 and rationing that didn't end until the early 1950's. The monetary situation in all of Europe is delicate to say the least.

First I think you need to write down your priorites of "what you need" followed by "what you want to have". Obviously you have a computer and you can make and save a document. Put a password on it and no one can open it.

Looking at your site name I am guessing you are in your mid-twenties Samuel1988. You may want to relocate and have your own place and can do whatever you can afford.

That said you probably can find some places to store some basic preps. You may need to be inventive but I am sure you can locate some hide-outs.

I am guessing you have a lot of prep items you haven't thought about. You have clothes, socks and shoes. Hiking boots or work boots would expand your ability to "move to a safer location".

Do you have any type of Good Will type of stores where you can buy some basic used cooking pots and maybe camping equipment? You can buy camping equipment and say, "Oh I think I would like to try some camping with some friends" and not send up any red flags by doing it.

Think about the type of food you would want to have. There are so many easy to prepare foods available in all food stores. I have been in TESCO's in Liverpool and they have most of the items we have in the US of A and maybe some we don't have here. Think about having some food that doesn't need cooking: crackers; canned fish and meats; drink mixes; jam and peanut butter; nuts and dried fruits and the list continues. Don't forget a can opener!

A casual walk through the food stores will enlighten you to the possibilites of food easily stored and prepared. Take some notes and look at sites such as this one for more info. We ahve some very good people here with a wealth of info to share. BTW.

I have preps my wife doesn't even know about so I know "how to be inventive".

Best.......... BASS

Guess where I am from by my site name?
The Following User Says Thank You to BASS For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2013, 10:22 AM
angel waiting

Thanked 5,593 Times in 2,079 Posts

Pop bottles full of water hidden under your bed, growing a garden, get a job and start a BOB and stockpiling food in a closet or hidden in a lockable trunk. Start saving seeds and acquiring non-lethal weapons (bats, pepper spray etc.) Good luck to you.
The Following User Says Thank You to tadbitangelny For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2013, 10:30 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,195 Times in 2,476 Posts

First take a breath and relax.

Second, start to help out with the shopping, hey there was a sale on these so I picked up a couple extra.

Thirdly, there are probably medieval reinactment groups near you, join one. Learn how things were done for historical purposes, daily life, farming to weapons.

If you're in school, start researching life during the "blitz", your grandparents could probably help. Former colonies like Rhodesia and Kenya (Mau Mau rebellion) are worth a look also.

You're going to have to think outside the box.
Community gardens? Archery and fencing clubs?
Old 04-10-2013, 10:33 AM

Take up backpacking as a hobby. You can buy all sorts of prepping stuff for "camping". Including freeze dried foods.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:35 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,697 Times in 2,398 Posts

Samuel1988, it might not be as hopeless to get your grandparents prepping as you think. The parents of your grandparents probably lived through the great depression, and they will have heard stories.

My own parents remember the depression, and they both tell me that they think the banks are going to have trouble (because the banks overseas are having trouble), and that means they will possibly close for a couple of days.

Yes, the banks are insured and deposits over $100,000 (in this country) will be covered. But, a person has to eat during that time! The banks in Cyprus were closed for about 10 days, and while the ATM's were working there was a limit as to how much money a person could take out. That money had to cover peoples food, gasoline, and so forth and some people said they ran out of food before the banks re-opened.

At any rate, my parents both think that our banks might close for a few days. They were warning us kids to have some cash put aside in our homes, and to have some food set aside as well. This made perfect sense to me! Especially since MANY! who lived through the Great Depression are saying the same thing!

Now, I am talking about the USA. And I take it you live in the UK? I do not think it matters: the banks in Cyprus closed for 10 days because of Greece's financial trouble. The banks rely on each other and if one fails the other banks are hurt.

A small amount of prepping means security. If the canned meat and rice that are bought as preps are not needed now they can be eaten later. If enough money to do the shopping is locked up and set aside now and it is not needed then it can be used later. But, if the banks close then there will be food on the table and enough money to fill the tank and buy medicine and such *IF* you set some aside now!

Yes, if you say the country is going to crash they will not listen. There have been other threatened crashes before but the country has recovered. However, a temporary bank closing is what the folks who remember the depression are warning about, and that they MIGHT listen to!

And, yes, gardening *IS* a useful hobby AND it is also a form of prepping! Potatos and garden peas and such are very nourishing! If you say you would like to do a vegetable garden they will not think you are nuts!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kansas Terri For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2013, 10:36 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,548 Times in 2,845 Posts

I'm in a similar UK household. Since I have my own room and they don't venture in due to the mess security system I put all my preps in there in cupboards etc.

You could just start off with the must have survival stuff or what is required if disaster should strike your area but then concentrate on knowledge and experience.

If your grandparents love to garden then get them to teach you to grow your own food. If they like to go fishing then join in there. The oldies have lived through the War years mostly so have a huge amount of knowledge. If grandma likes to cook learn that too.

A lot of preps are just common sense every day stuff that most grandparents would know so get interested in what they are doing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Purdy Bear For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2013, 03:11 PM

Default Thanks for the advice!

Thank you everyone for your advice - I will take it on board!

Unfortunately, I am looking for work so moving out is not an option (plus in difficult times families sticking together can be a good thing - we had riots here last year I can recall so having extra people in the house will be good).

I think my grandparents just think it will never happen (this most likely comes from the fact they are fixed onto news from the BBC [state funded] and don't watch alternative news sources).

I am working towards becoming more independent - I am starting a wildlife/education/food growing pilot project and I hae been fortunate that many people have given me some of their surplus veg seeds which I have saved and I am learning to grow my own food.

This is the start. Here in the UK you can't find work within a year they put you on this job scheme where you stack shelves for like 35 hours per week to get your weekly 55 so definetely learning to grow food will reduce money expendature and (I am working towards formal training) in the future provide a barterin skill/other form of money income. I have recently come back from a job overseas and that has ended so im skimming it (I dont mind as I would love to learn how to live more simpler).

I've also bought my SAS survival book and am starting to go out to learn about food foraging amongst things.

I will start stock piling from tommorow and go from there.

Many thanks,

Samuel
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Samuel1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2013, 04:30 PM

Go rent a 5x5 or 5x10 storage unit if you have them close by or buy a 5x8 enclosed trailer for your stuff.
The Following User Says Thank You to 3leggedturtle For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2013, 05:20 PM

Lol i love people with the it will never happen here mentallity. I would say rent out a storage area that is close by to you that you can get to quickly and store all your supplies there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gorilla999 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2013, 12:35 AM

If your preps become too large to hide in your own living space w/in your grandparents' house find a storage facility near your house and rent a shed/room/container/whatever. Try to grab used but quality stuff off ebay to save some money. Look for free downloadable material instead of buying the books, I'm not saying pirated copies of the books... I'm sure you can find everything in that SAS manual located somewhere on this forum.

And the piece of advice that I most need to follow... go out and practice! I read a bunch of stuff on the forums now I need to go put it to use.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Habaz72 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2013, 03:27 PM
Monkey Trainer

Say you are prepping in case of natural disaster (blackouts, storms) something like that. Any rational person should prepare for things like that to start with.
The Following User Says Thank You to .30-06 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2013, 11:32 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,345 Times in 849 Posts

First take up camping, and maybe fishing, then potentially hunting, these hobbies cover much of prepping with potential for bug out (only talk about camping and how they did things in pioneer times never survival or prepping).
I agree that once supplies have grown beyond the footlocker/closet/under the bed stage that you will likely be faced with some issues, water storage being the worst, however some collapsible water containers ("they were on sale") can be stored unobtrusively and filled at need.
Firearms may be an issue if they are against a .22 rifle don't push it; the odd are that a firearm will never be necessary.
Get some FEMA literature and work on 72 or 98 hour kits ("the government recommends"... is hard to argue with) In any case don't push it and don't argue hard; its their home and that gives them the ultimate say so.

Enjoy!
The Following User Says Thank You to Happy Joe For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2013, 10:03 AM
Trapper

In the 70's, people like you were called "back to the land-ers". Ask the grandparents to tell you family stories about how they lived during the depressions, during World War 2, etc. They'll enjoy reminiscing, you'll meet your ancestors in a whole new way, and maybe they'll see some parallels themselves. You could tell them it's a school project on how people lived before the technology age and how they kept food cold, communicated without telephones and the internet, etc. Get them talking about themselves and their family and you'll probably end up with an ally.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maggie357 For This Useful Post: