Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Health, Fitness and First Aid
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 04-09-2013, 05:25 PM

Default Do it yourself dental care

Advertise Here

Can what we get at the dentist feasibly be obtained in a self-sufficient environment? Can the relevant chemicals and materials for cavity and gum disease-prevention type stuff be purchased and/or made from household chemicals, materials or instruments? I'm sure there are at least some of the more severe diseases that can only be treated with dental technology, but are there ways of feasibly becoming no longer dependent (at least as a rule) on the dentist? Even with insurance, dental bills can be absurdly high.
The Following User Says Thank You to Polysemeia For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2013, 09:29 PM

I haven't been to a dentist in over 10 years, and have never had a cavity. DIY dental care is all about PREP, so just brush 2wice a day and floss once in a while.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:48 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,413 Times in 2,003 Posts

I just had both my lower wisdom teeth removed yesterday (they were badly decayed and should have come out a year or two ago.) There is no way that could be managed without a good dentist.

I think that may have been one of the things that shortened life-spans before there was dentistry. If you got a rotten tooth, it would just keep getting worse until you either starved to death because the pain kept you from eating or working, or infection would set in and kill you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lord Darwath For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2013, 09:14 AM
Totally off grid

Thanked 5,456 Times in 1,570 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

One of my very good friends has had no dental care for years. He only has 2 teeth left. The real story here is he does all his own extractions without any pain relief. He has pulled 10 or so himself over the years. He got hurt real bad with a chainsaw a few years ago and gave himself 80+ stitches. Be prepared to use extreme measures when you go totally off grid.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fepony For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2013, 09:36 AM

For Tooth Pain, a combination of salt and mashed fresh garlic applied to the wound should help. Salt kills bacteria, garlic is a natural antibiotic. Helpful for those times when you don't have dental insurance and off-the-grid. Don't know how to solve a painful tooth except for having someone else pull it from the jaw in a your all by yourself situation.

For Cleaning, Baking soda and water to form a paste is a decent toothpaste replacement. Not sure how about to go make baking soda however.

- U
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lordu For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2013, 09:48 AM
The end is,,,,,

Thanked 9,096 Times in 3,857 Posts

Look up toothkey and learn to use one.
Here
http://www.medicalantiques.com/medic...action_key.htm
Your welcome
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cleatis For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2013, 10:01 AM
confused no longer!

We just purchased a tooth extractor and a full stitch kit. I have never tried to pull my own teeth. A freind of mine just started going to dental assisting school and now she is able to purchase all kind's of dental equipment. I even saw she is able to get syringe's for numbing. Anyway I feel it's important to have your teeth covered as it is the closest thing to your brain and sometimes worse than having a ear problem.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:05 AM
The end is,,,,,

Thanked 9,096 Times in 3,857 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot momma View Post
We just purchased a tooth extractor and a full stitch kit. I have never tried to pull my own teeth. A freind of mine just started going to dental assisting school and now she is able to purchase all kind's of dental equipment. I even saw she is able to get syringe's for numbing. Anyway I feel it's important to have your teeth covered as it is the closest thing to your brain and sometimes worse than having a ear problem.
Way to add someone with special skills to your list of friends. Where di you find the extraction kit at?
Old 04-10-2013, 10:49 AM

Despite regular dental visits and routine oral care my wife has had numerous dental problems and abscesses. So, I worry about her in a no dentist type senerio. My preps for this focus mainly on antibiotic which is the only thing that seems to get her through. She is allergic to Penicillins so I stock Clindamycin and get it through the Aquatic Pharmacy. Without Penicillin allergy I would keep Penicillin VK or Amoxicillin on hand and both are also available through the Aquatic Pharmacy.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:51 AM
Rhodesia WAS Nice...

Thanked 4,070 Times in 1,773 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fepony View Post
One of my very good friends has had no dental care for years. He only has 2 teeth left. The real story here is he does all his own extractions without any pain relief. He has pulled 10 or so himself over the years. He got hurt real bad with a chainsaw a few years ago and gave himself 80+ stitches. Be prepared to use extreme measures when you go totally off grid.

Read Where There Is No Dentist. There is a chapter on tools, be sure to read the part about NOT using a chainsaw for dental work....

LOL.

Seriously, it's a good book. And a Sonicare, floss, and Peridex will go a long way toward preventing problems...
The Following User Says Thank You to SnakeRanch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2013, 12:45 PM

Default DIY Dental Fillings and Help list

Seeing dentist is not possible, what do we do for fillings? In Europe you can buy a glass like kit that makes a permanent type filling. Nothing like that here, den temp does not cut it. What can we use for permanent type fillings? There has to be something that is not toxic. Also going to start tips list here, add to it with your knowledge.

Tip list:

1. Whole cloves, supposed to be very effective in relieving pain. Put whole clove next to tooth.
2. Den temp: use hair dryer to help harden it after you put it in. I use paper towel core to help direct heat and keep away from face.

Let's keep list going and let's hear some answers for fillings, also growing up there was a tree we used to take the bark and suck on it next to tooth and it would numb it, I just can't remember name of the tree. The leaves could also be used.

Thanks all, PS what about bondO, is it too costic?
Old 04-10-2013, 01:09 PM
☆҉Onthe road to Shambala

Thanked 13,678 Times in 3,012 Posts

Now I admit that I know nothing about dentistry, but it seems to me that they scrape away the decay before they put in a filling...don't they? These temporary filling kits that I've seen...what exactly is it that they do?

Clueless (but not Toothless )
Old 04-10-2013, 01:30 PM

One of the "Best Defense" episodes on "The Outdoor Channel", had time devoted to DIY dental care. A dentist showed a small homemade kit with an air pump, tank, drill, and supplies.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:08 PM

13, in my case I had two fillings that fell out. At that time there was no decay, since there probly is now. Point is there are people who have no access to dental care and need alternatives and we are also preparing for times when there may be no dentist or doctor. In that case we need to be able to treat ourselves and others. The temp fillings are soft clay type material that provides very temporary filling.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:09 PM
☆҉Onthe road to Shambala

Thanked 13,678 Times in 3,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbott View Post
13, in my case I had two fillings that fell out. At that time there was no decay, since there probly is now. Point is there are people who have no access to dental care and need alternatives and we are also preparing for times when there may be no dentist or doctor. In that case we need to be able to treat ourselves and others. The temp fillings are soft clay type material that provides very temporary filling.

No, I'm not disagreeing with you. There is definitely a need to be prepared for the "what ifs" in life. I ordered a ton of dental stuff last week, but my question was sincere. Will the temp fillings help if the decay isn't scraped away? Does it keep the nerves from being exposed to air, reducing the pain? I'm stocking it, but am remaining hopeful that I can commandeer a dentist who will know what to do with it if the SHTF.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:33 PM

Default 13 replay

13, yes they will provide some temporary relief to exposed nerves etc. As far as decay, yes it should be removed if you have someone who can do it. This is a whole new ball game though, you will need needles and novacain etc... where did you get your supplies, email info will ya, i might need to order from there...

finding the novacain and needles etc. might be the hard part. the antibiotics you can get from any pet store, get the aqautic stuff, it is the same you will get for humans but for pennies on the dollar.

you will find the dent temp is very limited, if you dry it as much as you can stand once you have it in place in the tooth with hair dryer it will help it last longer. In europe you can buy a permanent material, it is like glass and it really works great, once it is in there you need a dentist to get it out though, but that is kinda the point we are after, lol...

I am hoping to hear some more comments on this subject because it is something 8 out of 10 americans need now, that is how many don't have access to dental care.... really sad....

Hope the list keeps growing, come on folks lets hear some comments...

the bot

p.s. 13 is that your eyes in avatar? kewl if it is
Old 04-10-2013, 08:39 PM
Hunter/Farmer

Thanked 1,695 Times in 769 Posts

Quote:
also growing up there was a tree we used to take the bark and suck on it next to tooth and it would numb it, I just can't remember name of the tree. The leaves could also be used.
Hercules Club

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zanthoxylum_clava-herculis
Old 04-10-2013, 09:55 PM

You can download 'Where There Is No Dentist', 'Where There Is No Doctor', and more here after you sign up for a free account ; http://hesperian.org/books-and-resources/

I found some of the information useful when I cracked a molar and couldn't afford the dentist. But mostly all I could do was take antibiotics and painkillers, suck on cloves wrapped in a paper towel, and keep a warm rag on the outside. The infection is gone and I haven't had any pain for over 2 years.

Also, while researching what to do I came across the medicine men of Nepal, who are very isolated and have to rely on simple solutions. They get a long metal pick and heat the tip red hot, then stick it onto the exposed nerve of the tooth to cauterize it and kill the infection. It seems simple but I just couldn't bring myself to stick a red hot poker in my mouth
The Following User Says Thank You to SLIMNUTTZ For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2013, 04:22 PM

Nice slimnuttz, thanks for the share. will check it out and see if maybe it has some useful info on a semi-permanent solution. So far not had any luck. If i did not think it would kill me i would try some j.b. weld or bondo, lol...
The Following User Says Thank You to dlbott For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2013, 10:30 PM
Oath Keeper

Thanked 1,448 Times in 702 Posts

As far as fillings go I imagine you could pack in lead wool well the lead free version at least