Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Financial Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Financial Forum Economics and Precious Metals

Advertise Here

Old 04-08-2013, 05:41 PM
I love this forum

Default DoD layoffs / RIF if sequester continues past current fiscal year...

Advertise Here

If you're DoD, you might want to be polishing up the resume. I see zero urgency from the current administration regarding an honest attempt to resolve the sequester. Secretly, I think it's exactly what they want. Nevertheless, you can read it here first-hand:
http://www.federaltimes.com/article/...es-beyond-year
Old 04-08-2013, 08:18 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 6,340 Times in 3,140 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

it's only the start, we can nolonger afford a cutting edge military, universal healthcare or the current entitlements, those who whine about the sequester don't understand the Big financial picture of the nation. the changes will continue, for now it is a matter of the goverments choice but later they will have no choice at all.

Last edited by blue123; 04-08-2013 at 09:48 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blue123 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2013, 08:26 PM
WhoopAss Kwon Do Teacher

Less Government? Woohoo! Maybe they can take some of the many camera lights out of my town. And maybe, just maybe, I can keep some of MY money in the future. Oh, my, what would I do with money?? I could save it, or maybe spend it as I see fit. Oh, I'm so excited. Less Government, Yippee!!

Wait...slow down here...that will never happen. The rich will still run the country and still take most of my money. Public jobs will still be overpaid with gold plated benefits. I'll still be a slave of my own government. Oh, well, freedom felt good, if only for a second.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hootyhoo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2013, 10:34 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 11,943 Times in 4,474 Posts

Layoff / RIF? I'm good with that.

The sooner they kick me out the door, the sooner I can move out of California, and pull my retirement savings out of the system.

Bring it on.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2013, 11:34 PM
Go Forward With Courage.

Thanked 6,665 Times in 2,187 Posts

This Government long ago outgrew it's tax base and can only function daily through borrowing more and more money. Like any entity in the public sector operating on loans not balancing books a complete failure stalks it.

The sequester layoffs are the very minimum of what must be done to cut costs. But to eliminate massive borrowing and begin a book balance they will need to take a hatchet to literally everything they do. It will be forced because the political will is not there. We have gone too far and there will be a rude awakening and massive pain and the longer it takes to get them there the more destructive the outcome.

It is what it is unfortunately and people will be unemployed by the millions on top of what is unemployed now. This being no doubt why the DHS bought up so much ammo. People do not starve politely or quietly. It tends to get messy.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to 10 Bears For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2013, 12:14 AM
Go Forward With Courage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadInSand View Post
If you're DoD, you might want to be polishing up the resume. I see zero urgency from the current administration regarding an honest attempt to resolve the sequester. Secretly, I think it's exactly what they want. Nevertheless, you can read it here first-hand:
There is no resolution to going too far. There is only backing up and cutting down past the point where all of the excesses started to take root. I do not know why it is that math skills suddenly have systemically failed my countrymen and government over the last 30yrs in particular and been replaced with magical thinking.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:50 AM

I fail to understand most people.
There really is no fix now, it's way to late. The only question left to answer is how bloody and painfull will the end of the system be ?
Only the PTB can answer this, as it is their plan. They are simply dragging it out to give themselves time to squeeze the last drops of money out of the system before they crash it and implement the next system.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brits_abroad For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2013, 01:43 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 3,327 Times in 1,921 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brits_abroad View Post
I fail to understand most people.
There really is no fix now, it's way to late. The only question left to answer is how bloody and painfull will the end of the system be ?
Only the PTB can answer this, as it is their plan. They are simply dragging it out to give themselves time to squeeze the last drops of money out of the system before they crash it and implement the next system.
bull****.
a one time wealth tax of 15% would pay off the national debt in full.

if we changed the tax code to a simplified no deduction flat tax the savings in tax prep and enforcement plus the interest we no longer have to pay on the debt would allow us to continue spending money at the same rate as today but with a balanced budget.

were going in the wrong direction - and fast, but we are far from the point of no return.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:05 AM
Go Forward With Courage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsmith View Post
bull****.
a one time wealth tax of 15% would pay off the national debt in full.

if we changed the tax code to a simplified no deduction flat tax the savings in tax prep and enforcement plus the interest we no longer have to pay on the debt would allow us to continue spending money at the same rate as today but with a balanced budget.

were going in the wrong direction - and fast, but we are far from the point of no return.
Because of Derivatives the system is now failing at a rapid clip that no tax can even stall. You see all of the EU in turmoil rushing to put out the fires they put out 6-months a year ago..the problems revisiting and you know there is no solution or it would have been implemented FOUR YEARS AGO.

Currency and Credit Derivatives stand at Six Hundred Twenty Five plus Trillion Dollars. One trillion being 1,000 billion. These things coming due have slaughtered country after country and we are not immune.

If we could have solved the problem we would have instead of borrowing ourselves poor, gutting jobs and making now one out of seven people in the US poverty victims.

Should'a, Would'a, Could'a Bob.. The fact is what you see in front of you happening and if it could have been stopped, it would have been stopped.

Further if you tax every taxpayer 15% more one time that is the year the economy blows itself up totally and completely as no one buys much more than absolute necessities thereby blowing up the tax base, fostering massive unemployment and civil unrest.

Things done have consequences Bob.
The Following User Says Thank You to 10 Bears For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2013, 02:19 AM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Bears View Post
Further if you tax every taxpayer 15% more one time that is the year the economy blows itself up totally and completely as no one buys much more than absolute necessities thereby blowing up the tax base, fostering massive unemployment and civil unrest.

Things done have consequences Bob.
i wouldnt argue your assesment. they could easily accomplish the same goal with taking everyone a few percent over 5 years though. i dont think a low single digit hit would have anywhere near the sort of dramatic effects a one off levy would.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:04 AM
Go Forward With Courage.

The simple fact of the matter is that they will not stop spending no matter what they do. If they tax more they will use it up and come back for more as they have always done. The country is bled dry now.

A billion is a thousand million and in unfunded liabilities each taxpayer owes one-thousand plus million dollars something that in 10 lifetimes they could never afford. Now add funded liabilities... You see the rub?

You even try to print that kind of money and the dollar dies because every dollar that hits circulation is loaned in. Ponzi is now over. It was never designed to do anything but fail.
The Following User Says Thank You to 10 Bears For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2013, 04:28 AM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Bears View Post
The simple fact of the matter is that they will not stop spending no matter what they do. If they tax more they will use it up and come back for more as they have always done. The country is bled dry now.
i agree that there is little chance the government will stop spending.

i disagree the country is bled dry. the top tax rate - representative of the people paying the largest chunk of federal income taxes - is at near historic lows. both in terms of effective rate and percentage for the top bracket. it may not seem that way to you, but by the numbers we have it pretty good these days in terms of tax.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:57 AM
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanked 13,472 Times in 4,831 Posts
Unhappy

Quote:
It is what they wanted. The sequester did not cut any funds, it just decreases their yearly increase. There is no real reason to be laying off people because their funds were cut, because they weren't. I would take a job at the same salary, without an increase, over not having any job at all. The whole misconception of this sequester irritates me every time it is brought up. Nothing has been cut. Government spending hasn't decreased, the only thing that changed with the sequester was that the increase in yearly spending slowed down some.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to juskom95 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2013, 07:19 AM
blaidd ddrwg

Thanked 17,107 Times in 7,100 Posts

Quote:
my company (who contracts to DoD and that is my current project) requires resume updates every 6 months maximum in case we need to switch projects/sectors if a contract doesnt come through... it would be very prudent for all 4 million federal civil servants to use a similar timeline for their resume refresh as the government will always run out of other people's money.

the biggest problem is that the majority of civil servants are primarily contract managers who have relatively few technical skills... i would highly recommend you get a industry certification in your field if you plan to polish the resume... CISSP, PMP, CIPP, GIAC, CompTIA (provides several certs), CISA, CISM, P.E., etc.

if you happen to be on a source selection board good luck to you as you will have to wait a year to switch over to industry per the FAR/DFAR

the prospective DoD furlough was reduced from 22 days to 14, so folks will miss a pay period this year.... might be a good time to get a second part time job anyway
Old 04-09-2013, 07:44 AM
Hiker

Some of you doom and gloomers really need to read this:
Old 04-09-2013, 08:12 AM

To those of you who have been saying that it only decreases the increases, there may be truth to that. But as a person who is employed by DoD, as an electronics mechanic, I have not seen a pay increase in 4 years. My taxes have increased, and my medial insurance has increased by over 20% in the same time frame. I am effectively making 25% less now than I was 4 years ago. My work load has increased 2.5 times, as 5 years ago, there were 5 persons employed in my shop, now there are 2. The amount of work I am expected to perform has not decreased accordingly, but my pay has not increased either. I have to work on average 48 hours a week, but only get paid for 40. I am not salary, but overtime is not allowed. To those persons who think that all governmental employees are overpaid, underworked lackies, P!$$ off. I work just as hard as millions of other Americans, and MUCH harder than millions others, and am just barely keeping my head above water as a lower middle class American. The furloughs will take a big bite out of my income, and there is nothing I can do about it. I am glad that I have been spending the past several years preparing, gardens, livestock, long term skills that have intrinsic and real values. The way things are going cant be stopped, but there is nothing saying we have to go willingly. I just get tired of everyone blaming the government as a whole for wasting trillions. I work hard for my money, and push out a safe, dependable, reliable product.

just my 2 cents....

Heat
The Following User Says Thank You to heatsink21 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2013, 08:27 AM
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanked 13,472 Times in 4,831 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatsink21 View Post
To those of you who have been saying that it only decreases the increases, there may be truth to that. But as a person who is employed by DoD, as an electronics mechanic, I have not seen a pay increase in 4 years. My taxes have increased, and my medial insurance has increased by over 20% in the same time frame. I am effectively making 25% less now than I was 4 years ago. My work load has increased 2.5 times, as 5 years ago, there were 5 persons employed in my shop, now there are 2. The amount of work I am expected to perform has not decreased accordingly, but my pay has not increased either. I have to work on average 48 hours a week, but only get paid for 40. I am not salary, but overtime is not allowed. To those persons who think that all governmental employees are overpaid, underworked lackies, P!$$ off. I work just as hard as millions of other Americans, and MUCH harder than millions others, and am just barely keeping my head above water as a lower middle class American. The furloughs will take a big bite out of my income, and there is nothing I can do about it. I am glad that I have been spending the past several years preparing, gardens, livestock, long term skills that have intrinsic and real values. The way things are going cant be stopped, but there is nothing saying we have to go willingly. I just get tired of everyone blaming the government as a whole for wasting trillions. I work hard for my money, and push out a safe, dependable, reliable product.

just my 2 cents....

Heat
That is what the sequester is.
Have you seen the increases each year? I doubt it, especially if you're not a direct employee, but a contractor. I was a DOD contractor before, some were overpaid for what they did, others were paid horrible wages for the work required.
My point about the sequester is that there is no logical reason to blame the sequester for cutting jobs, as they have not actually lost any money. I would update your resume if you're worried man, check the civilian sector. I'm much happier here than I was as a DOD contractor.
Good luck to you.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juskom95 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2013, 08:29 AM
Hiker

Quote:
To those of you who have been saying that it only decreases the increases, there may be truth to that. But as a person who is employed by DoD, as an electronics mechanic, I have not seen a pay increase in 4 years. My taxes have increased, and my medial insurance has increased by over 20% in the same time frame. I am effectively making 25% less now than I was 4 years ago. My work load has increased 2.5 times, as 5 years ago, there were 5 persons employed in my shop, now there are 2. The amount of work I am expected to perform has not decreased accordingly, but my pay has not increased either. I have to work on average 48 hours a week, but only get paid for 40. I am not salary, but overtime is not allowed. To those persons who think that all governmental employees are overpaid, underworked lackies, P!$$ off. I work just as hard as millions of other Americans, and MUCH harder than millions others, and am just barely keeping my head above water as a lower middle class American.
Welcome to the real world. Lots of other people are in the same boat.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Captain Worley For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2013, 08:57 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 6,340 Times in 3,140 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
To those of you who have been saying that it only decreases the increases, there may be truth to that. But as a person who is employed by DoD, as an electronics mechanic, I have not seen a pay increase in 4 years. My taxes have increased, and my medial insurance has increased by over 20% in the same time frame. I am effectively making 25% less now than I was 4 years ago. My work load has increased 2.5 times, as 5 years ago, there were 5 persons employed in my shop, now there are 2. The amount of work I am expected to perform has not decreased accordingly, but my pay has not increased either. I have to work on average 48 hours a week, but only get paid for 40. I am not salary, but overtime is not allowed.
welcome to the club, most of us working in the private sector are seeing the same thing and have been working under the same conditions for years....i was ''furloughed'' for 9 months in 2010 (unemployment).....point being, the government is going tword forced cutbacks, the economy has changed.....plan accordingly.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:06 AM
spoonmaster

Thanked 20,919 Times in 5,657 Posts

Quote:

just my 2 cents....

Heat
I'm making less money than I made in 2003. I also live in a more expensive area and have a 100 mile drive to work, so I waste $700 a month renting a dumpy room. I get paid salary and have to work over 50 hours a week, and I have less vacation at this place, than my previous company. Also, the 401K match is 2.5% less. Wages are down in the US, get over it.

I still consider myself lucky to have a job.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to brewmaster1918 For This Useful Post: