Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Pistol and Revolver Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 10-23-2008, 02:13 PM
Only Half Human

Default Anyone familiar with SCCY Industries?

Advertise Here

I saw a nice sized 9mm today at a local dealer.

It felt substantial yet small enough for a very easy concealed carry.

I liked the feel better than the Kel Tech actually.

It was around $290.

I was wondering if anyone had experience or heard of this company.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:00 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,587 Times in 1,270 Posts

Looked up their web site and it really didn't tell you much. they are based out of Florida but no word on where the product is made. Looks like they have one model in blue of stainless top. From looks of them they have some features of the Kel Tech and some of the glock knockoffs. How did the gun feel in your hand? How was the fit and finish? WHo will honor the warranty? Does it have a warranty? Can you get more than 10 round mag? Do you know someone who bought one? will the dealer give you references of people who have shot it? (I Didn't say own one since no good dealer will do that)

Has the dealer shot one? I would want to know more about the company before I put money into a gun. It is sort of like buying a car from YUGO Co. remember them?
Old 10-23-2008, 03:16 PM
Only Half Human

Ohh yeah, I remember Yugo! I only bring it up because I really did like the way it felt. I kind of had my mind set on a kel tech or if I could find a good used Kahr. But it just felt good. I dont like to buy from a company I never heard of. The dealer said he just started selling them and sold one the same day he put it out. Got another in and sold it right away too. They come with 2-10 round mags. That is the only size right now. It is a compact gun.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:59 AM
just waitin' for it

we have a SKYY (SCCY Industries) CPX-1 9mm pistol (wife's). It's small enough to carry and fits her hand well. My bigger hands like to turn the safety on upon recoil though. The safety sits right on top of my thumb. The mag release sits under my thumb as well, and likes to get pushed on recoil. Other than that, it's a good shooter, and reliable! It likes higher quality ammo. Steel cases don't cycle correctly in it. (They don't in my baby Eagle either). And, it's single action only, with a decently heavy trigger, but not too bad. The grip extension on the mag helps too! For a cheap, reliable carry, especially for someone with smaller hands, I'd recommend it! The finish is good in new condition and doesn't mar easily. Came with 2 10rd mags. Don't know of any after market makers yet. They have a limited warranty... The safety issue seems to be common for guys as I've read in different forums. I've put about 100 rds through it (It is my wife's after all) with no problems (other than the above fitment issues) except cycling steel cased wolf, but I expected that.

(I took it off safety for the pic, it wasn't loaded! not even a mag in the well!)
Attached Thumbnails
CPX-1a.JPG   CPX-1b.JPG   Warranty.JPG  

Last edited by 421slicer; 10-24-2008 at 01:09 AM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 421slicer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2008, 01:20 PM

I own a CPX-1 9mm also and would not reccomend the gun as a daily carry self defense gun. I have shot less than a 100 rounds thru the gun and already had to return the gun for repairs. The slide lock broke on the gun. Sccy repaired the gun at no charge and even sent two new mags back with the gun. They have a very good life-time warranty. Had to replace the safety with a stronger one so that it didn't go on every time I shoot it. I just can't trust it to shoot every time I pull the trigger. There web site has a forum where a lot of people talk about the problems that they have had with the gun. Search Skyy forums.
HTH
MKR
The Following User Says Thank You to midknightryder For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2010, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salatheel View Post

It was around $290.

Yes, just bought one a week ago, doulble action only, long trigger pull smooth with crisp release. Three dot sights easy to see very tight group with
wolf,silver bear,winchester and blazer. compact, easy to conceal, a very good semi for the price. Could shoot 250 out of 250 for recert. .
sccy will be makeing a .380 this summer. hopefully per e-mail received.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:04 AM
Lightning

I own a SCCY CPX-1. Paid 288 out the door. Worked great until about 150 rounds in... started jamming like crazy. Turns out the dealer sold me all steel jacketed ammo, which tore up the inside of the gun. Drove to the factory in person and they replaced half the gun, and gave me a free mag for my trouble- all in one afternoon. Good people.

Since the repair the gun has had over 200 rounds through it, BRASS ONLY =). It's jammed once while firing since, and I believe even that was my fault on chambering a round.

In other news though, it was having a lot of trouble chambering the other week. I am going to bring it in again and have them look at it since I carry it concealed and can't have it f*cking up in the unlikely event I have to draw it. The gun smith is a great guy though and I am confident they will take care of the gun.

I may also have them disable the safety, or make it ridiculously tight so it will never flip on while firing from my thumb. They tightened the hell out of it last time I went in, but I want it even tighter, or maybe even disabled.

The safety is "up here" (my head) anyway as Birdman once said.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:26 AM
Lightning

Good review

Old 03-16-2010, 02:20 AM
Doubts Most Everything

Thanked 2,481 Times in 1,383 Posts

SKYY changed their name to SCCY to try and shed bad rep.
Shrewd.
Had bad rep for a reason.

I'd recommend a Hi-Point instead.

- OS
Old 03-16-2010, 03:23 AM
Off-roadie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Shoot View Post
Shrewd.

- OS
Ah, i heard it was do to the vodka company... good vodka, cant say much about the guns as i dont have much time with one.. but the vodka...
Old 03-17-2010, 12:25 AM
Doubts Most Everything

Thanked 2,481 Times in 1,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudgunsniper View Post
Ah, i heard it was do to the vodka company... good vodka, cant say much about the guns as i dont have much time with one.. but the vodka...
Actually, that's probably true...
But the pistols are rotgut.

- OS
The Following User Says Thank You to Oh Shoot For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2010, 10:43 PM

Default Sccy cpx-1, well worth it

I just bought my sccy cpx-1 this week for the low price of $225 and am very happy with my purchase. It shoots really well for a small package and doesn't have the bite that the kel-tecs have. I put about 150 rounds through it without a single issue with a tight group at about 7 yards. The only issue i have with the gun is the safety, which engages unexpectedly while firing. I have already spoken with somebody at Sccy and they are sending me a safety lock kit which will solve, what i can see as, the only problem that the gun has. Perfect gun for carry and holds 10 rounds, making it a high capacity gun for the size. The trigger pull is a standard 8 lb trigger, which is a little stiff for the average shooter, but perfect for a carry weapon. It is smooth and consistent, and pretty similar to the trigger on the Smith and Wesson SD 9 that i have as well. The fit and finish is that of a more expensive sig or glock and has none of the rough edges that you would get with the kel-tecs. I love kels, but this gun shoots and feels smoother, has a better trigger, and fits better in your hand, for 30-50 dollars less. Its worth the chance, you wont regret it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spyder1088 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2011, 07:55 AM

Default SCCY

I see this thread started in 2008, but thought my input may help.
I am a dealer in Southern Utah and I have carried SCCY firearms since I got my FFL in 2008.
When I want something lighter than my Glock 26, I carry my personal SCCY CPX-1.
They have been very reliable, easy to maintain, and I really appreciate the lifetime warranty.
My only issue with the original version is the safety. At the shooting range I can fire about 3 rounds when the slight kick has caused my thumb knuckle to bump the safety to the point of activating it.
In the 2nd Gen they have added a guard to the safety to avoid this problem.
The New CPX-2 does not have the safety so that won't be an issue.
I have not fired a CPX-2 yet but have ordered some for my shop and will give 1 a try once they arrive.
I hole this helps.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:34 PM

I have been a Kel-Tec fan for years. I like to carry my CCW in my front pocket, I prefer a firearm thats 9mm, small, compact, and light weight. I originally, started with a KT P-11. The size and weight of this gun was perfect, but the trigger pull was long and heavy and had a horrible snap that actually hurt my trigger finger when I shot it. After that I went with a KT PF-9, that I've used for several years. Its the right size, 9mm and it works good. However, it only has a 7+1 capacity.
I recently shot a friends CPX-1. I had never heard of SCCY firearms, so I was a little sceptical. Comparing his SCCY to my Kel-tec PF-9 they were pretty much Identical in shape and size, with the PF-9 being a little thinner. The SCCY was a bit thicker and a few ounces heaver, but also had 3 more rounds. This was a big plus in my book. The SCCY was also about $50 cheaper than my PF-9 and came with an extra mag. The CPX is almost identical in shape, size and weight as the Kel-tec P-11, but the trigger on the CPX is 100% better. All thing considered I bought my own CPX-2 a few days later.
The first thing I did with my new gun was to load both mags and let them sit for a few days. Both of the mags were very stiff and hard to load. Then I took the gun apart, polished the feed ramp, and cleaned/lubed it really well. The manual describes the proper way to load the firearm. (Lock slide back/insert full mag/drop slide). My full mags were difficult to lock in place if the slide wasn't locked back.
I took my CPX-2 to the range today and shot 100 rds of Federal 115gn target ammo through it. The gun fed and ejected perfectly. It was also fairly accurate for my first shoot. The only issue I had was the rear assembly pin wanted to work out a small bit. I emailed SCCY and asked them the easiest way to fix the problem. Within 15 minutes I had a call from their repair department. The woman I spoke to said they were aware of the assembly pin problem, and they were anticipating a shipment of larger diameter pins in a few weeks. She also said if I wanted to, that I could use some Loc-tite on the ends of the pins and that will prevent any future movement. Thats what I call customer service! Try getting a personal phone call within 15 minutes from Beretta or Ruger.
Final thoughts on the CPX Gen 2. Keep in mind I've only shot 100rds through mine. But its the right size/shape/weight for CC. Decent accuracy, 10+1 capacity, 9mm, 2mags, reliable out of the box, under $300 and AWESOME CUSTOMER SERVICE!
Old 01-18-2012, 07:44 PM

Dealer here also, I've seen both the early ones and the late models and there is a difference. And for the better.

Their customer service has been better than many other companies, taking customer issues and immediately making needed changes and improvements.

For the money, there's worse choices.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:35 PM

I like the ones we bought. 10 rounds are plenty. Extra mags are only $27. They have ate all the ammo we have fed them.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salatheel View Post

It was around $290.

I have a 2nd generation CPX-2 9mm. Have shot a few hundred rounds through it with zero problems. The first generation had problems with the safety (2nd gen. has eliminated it), and a weak guide rod, but that also has been fixed with a harder, tempered steel rod. I love this gun. Works great, no jams, and have used a variety of ammo through it. I believe the founder and some of the workers are Kel Tec refugees. Great gun.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinnan Barrett View Post
Looked up their web site and it really didn't tell you much. they are based out of Florida but no word on where the product is made. Looks like they have one model in blue of stainless top. From looks of them they have some features of the Kel Tech and some of the glock knockoffs. How did the gun feel in your hand? How was the fit and finish? WHo will honor the warranty? Does it have a warranty? Can you get more than 10 round mag? Do you know someone who bought one? will the dealer give you references of people who have shot it? (I Didn't say own one since no good dealer will do that)

Has the dealer shot one? I would want to know more about the company before I put money into a gun. It is sort of like buying a car from YUGO Co. remember them?
SCCY is made 100% in America. Great company, firearms, warranty.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Shoot View Post
Shrewd.

- OS
SCCY seems to be of much better quality than the low-end High Point. The 2nd generation CPX-2 9mm, that is.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:51 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,155 Times in 1,959 Posts

I think most pistols in this category of bare minimal cost are about the same as far as results. Kel Tec, Sccy, DiamondBack and others are a bit of a crap shoot. Some get them and love them with few if any problems. Others have nothing but problems, often even after sending them back for service. I'm finding that's also true with Taurus, especially on the low cost poly versions. I have a 738 TCP that's at the factory now for service. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping for the best since I like the little gun. If it turns out to be a problem after returned, I haven't lost much. If it works out I have a bargain deep conceal gun for a back up during TX summers. Are you a gambler? That's exactly what you're doing with these little el cheapo guns. I like to ante up occasionally.