Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Urban Survival > Vehicles & Transportation
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 10-24-2008, 03:52 PM

Advertise Here

For the sake of argument, let's say your car is EMP proof, now what? If you live near any metropolitan area the roads will be gridlocked with shutdown vehicles. How many pre-1980 cars do you see on the road? All electrical power will be fried, so no gas, no food deliveries, no nothing unless you already have it.

http://www.unitedstatesaction.com/emp-terror.htm
Old 10-24-2008, 05:41 PM
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Falconessa View Post
I [honestly] would like to see this theory tested.
yea. i would too. but i dont have an emp or nuke!
Old 10-24-2008, 06:00 PM
Just A Shadow

Thanked 1,295 Times in 317 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
The pulse soaks into induction coil windings. This stops them from building up and outputting properly within the range they bare designed for and make a super output, but not one that will burn the windings.

The pulse is actually billions of trillions of electrons seeking a ground. They continue to travel in every direction until they find one. As they begin to find a path to ground they group together faster and faster. This is what burns chips and electronics, The pulse is very quick but for all of it to ground can take several seconds once its inside wiring.

Should the breaker point motor be revved up higher than the duration of the pulse, and travel time of the electrons, as it goes away the firing begins again and it continues to run. Much the same as turning the key off and back on again. If the rpms are up enough you can turn the key on and it runs again. If your idling or at low rpm, you will need the starter to get going cause it interrupted your coil output with a spark that jumped the point gap.

Seeing how the EM Pulse lasts only a few milliseconds I can't see this being a problem. It hasn't been observed in tests.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:40 PM
The calm ones had a plan

The electromagnetic field that is generated by the EMP is the root of the problem. Metallic objects within an EMP field suddenly gain additional currents through the process of induction. In the situation of a car... the added current travels through the metallic frame and enters the electrical system since vehicle power systems are grounded through the chassis. Most cars need sensors and computers to run properly... the extra current induced by an EMP pulse will easy damage the sensitive components and the car will stop running for one of many possible malfunctions.

The best EMP resistant vehicles are pre-1980. They are carburetor models with vacuum tubes as the 'computer'. Here are a few other notes:

1) all ground wires to the chassis should be fused to stop added currents from traveling through the system

2) keep extra fuses to replace what pops after a pulse

3) Carry and extra starter, starter solenoid, ignition coil, and alternator. Also carry a spare for any other part that contains coiled wires inside.

4) Carry the tools need to swap the parts listed above.

Some work will be still required after the pulse event however but the vehicle can be running again the same day. Repairing a late model vehicle would almost be a lost cause...
The Following User Says Thank You to jaypro For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2008, 08:28 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,143 Times in 1,180 Posts

Vacuum tubes? In a car? which models? And fuses protect against excessive amperage,not excessive voltage.You'd have to put a hell of a big fuse where you grounded your engine,because every time you crank the starter,you're putting serious amps thru it.Not sure how EMP would damage a starter,which is just a very simple motor,no electronics.
The Following User Says Thank You to FredLee For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2008, 08:39 PM
11B3P

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixie View Post
lot older than 1990, lol. try like 1970 when vehicles were carbed, and had points type distributors.
Agreed. You would need standard carb (not EFI, TBI or non-mechanical fuel injection). Points based ignitions are good to go from my limited mechanical knowledge.
Some old timers like to keep extra points and ignition coils around for a backup.

If I had an old beater I would definitely stock an extra distributor cap, plugs/wires, coil,points etc. They are fairly cheap unless you have a rare engine displacement.
The Following User Says Thank You to Austin Milbarge For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2008, 09:52 PM
Just A Shadow

Thanked 1,295 Times in 317 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Here's a link about EMP. MlL-STD-l 88-1 25A . This standard establishes minimum requirements end design objectives for High-Altitude Electromagnetic Pulse (HEMP) hardening of fixed ground-based facilities which perform critical, time-urgent command, control, communications, computer, and Intelligence (C4I) missions. Facilities required to
fully comply with the provisions of the standard will be designated by the Joint
Chiefs of Staff, a Military Department Headquarter, or a Major Command.

http://www.wbdg.org/ccb/FEDMIL/std188_125a.pdf

This is a good overview of EMP.

http://standeyo.com/News_Files/NBC/E...coe.050609.pdf

Last edited by arisinwind; 10-24-2008 at 10:08 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to arisinwind For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2008, 10:22 PM
The calm ones had a plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredLee View Post
Vacuum tubes? In a car? which models? And fuses protect against excessive amperage,not excessive voltage.You'd have to put a hell of a big fuse where you grounded your engine,because every time you crank the starter,you're putting serious amps thru it.Not sure how EMP would damage a starter,which is just a very simple motor,no electronics.
Off the top of my head any model pre-1970. Or a 72 Bronco, 1975 Jeep CJ5, 1979 Jeep CJ7, 1987 Jeep Cherokee. Jeep loved to use vacuum pressure to control most coordinated engine functions before computers assumed the role.

The items I mentioned, such as the starter, have a large amount of wire wound/coiled inside the part. This helps these particular parts to accumulate more current during the induction process.

As someone mentioned early, watch the EMP episode of Future Weapons on you tube for a demonstration.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:57 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,143 Times in 1,180 Posts

I've owned a lot of Jeeps,40's thru 80's. Vacuum only controls advance on distributor,as a rule.Late 70's models had a brain-box mounted inside the driver side fender,which was sealed in a clear resin of some sort.Some used vacuum for running the wipers,and heat controls.Some had vacuum chokes.We're talking engine vacuum,not vacuum tubes like in old radios.
The Following User Says Thank You to FredLee For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2008, 09:44 AM
Battling the Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOS19K View Post
For the sake of argument, let's say your car is EMP proof, now what? If you live near any metropolitan area the roads will be gridlocked with shutdown vehicles.
Another good reason to own a Unimog.

Seriously though, I do see your point.
The Following User Says Thank You to Abiqua For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2008, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abiqua View Post
Another good reason to own a Unimog.

Seriously though, I do see your point.
Believe me I love the Unimog. This one of my favorite drool sites.

http://www.unicatamericas.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to MOS19K For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2008, 03:00 PM
I travel light

Hey guys, some people in other threads usually thanks (little button on the posts) when a post is useful...you know?
The Following User Says Thank You to Greg5791 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2008, 03:18 PM

unimogs and cockroaches with always be with us
Old 10-26-2008, 03:20 PM

I had a 319D mercedes van, kicking myself in the ass for selling it now. EMP proof with a simple diesel engine and could carry 5k lbs and 5 people with ease. Plus 30mpg.
The Following User Says Thank You to gulcherville For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2008, 09:58 PM
I give up

Thanked 1,054 Times in 393 Posts

I am not convinced that a general EMP nuke or field EMP will disable a modern car.

First off, a car can withstand a lightning strike without any affect on performance. The voltage, current and induced magnetic field in a large lightning strike is far greater than an air burst EMP nuke.

Second, a car is a metal "BOX" quite similar, in effect to a faraday cage. And, don't forget that the tires contain carbon black, a very effective conductor, which eliminates the static generated in normal operation.

Third, many automotive computers are hardened, just like military EMP proof electronics. Take a look under the hood of a Dodge and you will see a hardened computer.

The biggest point is that EMP induces voltage/current (power) over very long runs of wire, such as high tension wires. The wires in a car are quite short. So, even if totally exposed to EMP, the induced current won't be much.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cujet For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2008, 12:39 AM

Default Police officers

Police officers have a harpon with an emp shock that disables the computer.

I think my old 86 F150 X heavy half with 351 Windsor and 4 Barrel would continue.

I have thought of adding an additional battery with power inverter.

I think that the injection computers on more modern cars would get fried but anything that is precomputer and this one is should be ok.

Sincerely,

Thomas
Old 10-27-2008, 06:20 AM

Here are two videos from "Future Weapons" concerning EMP, including a demonstration on a modern car.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MOS19K For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2009, 07:27 PM

models before 1965 would be the preferred choice in this case .
Old 08-09-2009, 07:45 PM
"Fly birdies! fly!"

Thanked 19,515 Times in 6,447 Posts

Another question is:

Do you want to be driving the only working automobile in your area? With only one moving object, you would be VERY conspicuous.
The Following User Says Thank You to Grevlin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2009, 11:52 PM
Suspect Everyone

i was very interested in this for a while. then i found there was a commission already doing research on emp, and they have tested i think it was 32 different vehicles. all but one or 2 were fine, and i think only one was undrivable. basically, even if you are driving it, it might shut down with emp affects, but you could just restart it. read their report here: (pdf file)

http://www.empcommission.org/docs/A2...ission-7MB.pdf
The Following User Says Thank You to TrustNoOne For This Useful Post: