Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Military Weapons Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here

Old 10-22-2008, 02:25 PM

Default AR15 (Vietnam Style)

Advertise Here

I'm been looking into American military style gun, i've look at all my local, store and out of town. Finding m1 garand, M1-carbine, M14, and etc easily. Can't seen to find AR15 Vietnam style that is a clone of the M16VN or A1. why are these manufacture leaving it out?
Bushmaster, olympics arms, and etc that made AR15?

P.S- they should make these M16VN or A1 clones and make it limited edition.

Last edited by KR555; 10-22-2008 at 02:35 PM..
Old 10-22-2008, 02:57 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,602 Times in 1,274 Posts

YOu are talking a COLT SP 1 with no forward assist and a triangular front grip. IF you get really down to it you will need a three pronged hider that was used to open ammo containers etc. THey are going to be really expensive if you can find one. You may find an AR top from someone that you can drop onto you own lower. Only shoot hot ammo. That was the problem with the gun in Vietnam. COngress went with cheaper cool shooting ammo that fouled the action and got people killed because the gun would lock up rounds due to the unburned powder residue.
The Following User Says Thank You to Grinnan Barrett For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2008, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinnan Barrett View Post
YOu are talking a COLT SP 1 with no forward assist and a triangular front grip. IF you get really down to it you will need a three pronged hider that was used to open ammo containers etc. THey are going to be really expensive if you can find one. You may find an AR top from someone that you can drop onto you own lower. Only shoot hot ammo. That was the problem with the gun in Vietnam. COngress went with cheaper cool shooting ammo that fouled the action and got people killed because the gun would lock up rounds due to the unburned powder residue.
i am sorta ignorant about the AR15, is n't it a selective fire, full, 3 round burst, and single?

Unk Beau
Old 10-22-2008, 03:04 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,238 Times in 2,592 Posts

Your talking about class III. be prepared for 15,000 bucks, several months wait and regitration pains with everyone coast to coast, not to mention just getting iot shipped and transferred being several hundred dollars.

Better off to stick with semi auto like everyone else.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:46 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,602 Times in 1,274 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by unklebeau View Post
i am sorta ignorant about the AR15, is n't it a selective fire, full, 3 round burst, and single?

Unk Beau
I wasn't speaking about a Class 3 weapon the M16. the style of the gun is the SP 1 (which is an AR early model). that is the model you saw in Vietnam.
As was mentioned above the class 3 is going to cost you a small fortune if you go all the way. It will also require a lot of paper work and okays by people from above. The three shot burst came late in the war if I remember correctly. The first guns were full auto and single fire and safe.

The early model is fun to look at and great if you are a reineactor of the Vietnam era. If I were buying a gun I would stick with the new models.

Last edited by Grinnan Barrett; 10-22-2008 at 03:47 PM.. Reason: M16
Old 10-22-2008, 04:01 PM
infowars.com

early vietnam guns where full auto and single burst but when you got dirt or mud on it it did not fire so they re did the gun my grandpa was there and had both he told storys of his early early gun not working and alot of good men died some still had rifles they used in ww2 and korean war

after they re did it they added the three round burst and took off the full auto due to what they say the soldiers just wasteing ammo the would hold down the trigger
especially the scared ones and would run through ammo

from what i was told
Old 10-22-2008, 05:50 PM
Nemo May Impune Laccesit

If you find a SP-1 for sale and it doesn't look abused, buy it! I have one that I bought in '81 and I was the second owner. It has the "Beaver Tail" grips and while I like the newer round ribbed foregrips but have elected to keep mine original. It did come with the full "Bird Cage" suppressor from Colt. When buying ammo be sure to stay with the original 55 grain bullet loading. The heavier 62 grain wont stabilize properly in your barrel twist. Any reloads or new ammo you should encounter should provide clean burning as the old powder that left calcium deposits has been gone for 30 years. Use good lube like "Break-Free" and keep her clean and she'll function like a dream. Buy a chamber brush at a gun show or specialty seller. Many owners only use a bore brush. Happy shooting!
Old 10-22-2008, 06:04 PM
Trapper

You can find vintage uppers or handgards on a few sites. Olympic Arms and DPMS offers an A1 sited AR-15 but with round hand gards if you change those to the triangle ones you will have a close replaca of the later models used in vietnam. I want to say www.essentialarms.com is making an slick sided lower and there is a company making these lowers and I belive hand gards.

I have wanted to do a vintage build and still may someday but it would only be the upper that would look the part the rest would be what you find off the shelf. I have seen the uppers used on AR15 com from 315-500 bucks. I have also seen a guy that built a vintage carbine great looking rifle with a 16' barrel his maybe a shorter barrel not sure but great looking gun.

If you want to have an AR and not pay an arm and leg build one from a kit and stick to modern stuff and then later on buy a vintage upper best of both worlds.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:58 PM
Hunter

SARCO provided me with the parts to build 3 of the A1 clones. Don't bother with their web site however, get a Shotgun news and pick your parts.

I wanted an early SP1/M16/M16A1 and could only find old beat up examples with $1,500+ price tags. I finally said to hell with it and built one.

Personally I prefer this style to my newer examples including the M4.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:49 PM
Nothin' Personal...

http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/...298275&cat=77& has A1 style AR-15's, all the way at the bottom.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:26 PM
Certifiable

Fulton Armory makes a replica of the rifle I carried in the USMC. They are not advertising it on their website anymore as a premade rifle but they are still making the receivers and I believe they will still make a full rifle if requested.

http://www.fulton-armory.com/
Old 10-28-2008, 08:37 AM
Hunter

Quote:
has A1 style AR-15's, all the way at the bottom.
The first one I built several years ago I paid about $550 for. The one I built last year was about $750.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:03 AM
Gear Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvdahills View Post
early vietnam guns where full auto and single burst but when you got dirt or mud on it it did not fire so they re did the gun my grandpa was there and had both he told storys of his early early gun not working and alot of good men died some still had rifles they used in ww2 and korean war

after they re did it they added the three round burst and took off the full auto due to what they say the soldiers just wasteing ammo the would hold down the trigger
especially the scared ones and would run through ammo

from what i was told

from what i heard the guns jammed for a variety of reason: cheap corrosive powder, bad gas system( dirty gases are fed into action), GI's didn't clean them regularly, now that all those problems have been fixed the AR platform has been very successful and is the basic design of most modern assualt rifles and some sniper rilfes ( m110, AR50)

A1s and A3's have the safe, single, and full auto setting, the 3 round burst was implemented because GI's in the heat of battle would just hold the trigger down and use all their ammo.

the A1 is a classic look and it has some history behind it as the first of many AR's to be issued to the military
Old 11-04-2008, 05:33 AM

Why would anyone want an A1 ? (IMHO)

Barrel is too light (they trun red and warp), hand guard is funky,the rifling twist is whacky (like 1:7 as I recall), and the rear sight drum is a major pain in the kiester to adjust for windage.

I would much rather have a heavy barrel in 1:9 twist so I could use 55 and 62 grain and also a more ergnomic hand guard and much, much better .

The first M16 A1 I was issued in basic training in 1984 was vintage Vietnam era. It was made by General Motors. My buddy had one made by Singer sewing machine co., and another I saw said Maytag.... The hand guards, by the way, were actually made by Mattel toy co.

I SH** you not........
Old 11-08-2008, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph View Post
Why would anyone want an A1 ? (IMHO)

Barrel is too light (they trun red and warp), hand guard is funky,the rifling twist is whacky (like 1:7 as I recall), and the rear sight drum is a major pain in the kiester to adjust for windage.

I would much rather have a heavy barrel in 1:9 twist so I could use 55 and 62 grain and also a more ergnomic hand guard and much, much better .

The first M16 A1 I was issued in basic training in 1984 was vintage Vietnam era. It was made by General Motors. My buddy had one made by Singer sewing machine co., and another I saw said Maytag.... The hand guards, by the way, were actually made by Mattel toy co.

I SH** you not........
The M16A1 rifles had 1:12 barrels. The 1:7 twist was introduced with the M16A2 to stabilize SS109/M855 which doesn't in the slower twist. 1:9 is a very common compromise twist that works well with a broad spectrum of bullet styles and weights that is commonly found on civilian rifles (and was never used by the US .mil). I own an HBAR, and I really don't notice the difference over the government profile A2 barrel. If I recall, the difference is maybe 3 ounces or somethign like that. The A1 pencil barrel was a lot thinner profile, which made it friendlier for field carry (and easier to maneuver). While it would heat up faster- many of the stories about them changing colors under sustained fire originated out of Viet Nam, and are attributed not to physical issues- but rather due to psychological factors from combat stress.
The Following User Says Thank You to Joe For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2008, 06:00 PM
Certifiable

I actually sometimes miss the old M16. It was really light compared to the A2, never seen a barrel turn red. Maybe it is my getting old that I might like the reduced weight or nostalgia. Really want to talk about the old days let's talk about ten round magazines....
Old 11-09-2008, 06:33 PM

just make one. it can't be too hard.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:49 PM
Target Shooter

You can get these cheap(for a Colt):

http://www.centuryarms.biz/proddetai...prod=RI965%2DX

I've seen them for less then this:

http://catalog.huntingstuff.net/item...mnumber=GRI965
Old 11-10-2008, 06:18 PM
Target Shooter

Scroll down a little bit on this page: http://classicarms.us/