Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Urban Survival
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here

Old 10-21-2008, 05:37 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanked 14,725 Times in 4,239 Posts
Question Fortifying My Home

Advertise Here

I have been looking around the house lately trying to figure out how to beef it up and make it more secure without looking like a fortress. I am thinking of civil unrest or a staggering spike in crime situation.

We are in the suburbs in a planned subdivision. The house is a brick two story home.
I am not too concerned with a burglary-while-away situation. I work from home and we already have dogs, an alarm system, motion sensors on the exterior lights, deadbolts, doorframe improvements and a 6" privacy fence with locked gates.

I am putting together a list of things that I am considering. They have to be low-key.

1) A protective window film for all ground floor glass like:
http://www.armorcoatfilms.com/index....-Intruders.htm

2) Steel exterior door frames

3) Making a new fence but with steel pipe intstead of wood. Since our fence is already white and the DW likes the white, it will be no trouble to paint.

4) Descrete exterior video cameras.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Highlander; 10-23-2008 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: spelling and detail
The Following User Says Thank You to Highlander For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2008, 06:07 PM
I'm keeping my eye on you

The window film is a good product but in order to be totally effective, it must be installed on the glass under the window framing.
The Following User Says Thank You to ecilop For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2008, 06:24 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,041 Times in 2,389 Posts

I think peter mentioned the IR driveway alarms before. The sell sets of them and you can do a rectangle around the house so you know when anyone is close. Still deciding on which ones myself.

There are these trip wire alarms.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=113961317
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=113855106

They can be set up on doors or wires. The primer one is plenty loud and the ammo is just a tiny box for 100. I have two now that are similar and run on pistol primers. I put together a set so they can be used on doors or in the field on wires. I intend to get my sleep regardless, but can snap to to take care of business in a split second. We have a real alarm system but if you lose power it only runs for two days. The perimiter IR ones can be seen with NV, and if you don't have the batteries to feed them, the primer or blank tripwire alarms start to make a lot of sense. Throw the primers away and get fresh ones every 20 years or so. 1 box is a hundred breaches and I doubt anyone would have more than a couple attempts, or a dozen or so if it was bad for the long haul.

Building a frame fro the front door out of Oak pallet skids. The thick peices. It will support the door into the frame, and negate, prybars, battering rams, and breaching rounds.

For the lower windows, closet doors will come down and be lag bolted to the frame and reinforced with old bed frames the lag bolts go into. The top part of the window to be open, and requires a step stool from inside for a full outside view, but still cover inside movements for every room, and let in a bit of sun. The glass breaking being a crude alarm of sorts.

Steel gate cut the bottom of the house from the stairs and the top of the house from the stairs. Alarms on both gates. Dogs might not be too happy sleeping on the landing though.

Lots can be done with very little more than junk in the garage or shed.

Like any building you want to stop cars and trucks before they can drive through a wall. The right kind of yard work can do that.

Last edited by Brew; 10-22-2008 at 09:10 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2008, 07:35 PM
Information is Ammunition

Thanked 26,897 Times in 10,484 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Outstanding Firearms Post Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 5

you might also consider filling the space between your walls and sheetrock with dry concrete or sand topped with powder dessicant for humidity. its good for resisting high velocity wind thrown projectiles and small arms.

1/4 inch steel backed shutters

solid wood framed doors with a brace

rose bushes under the windows

a way out. always leave yourself a back door
Old 10-21-2008, 07:36 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I almost forgot about solid core doors. Thanks!
Old 10-21-2008, 10:38 PM
Be Prepared

Pinnacle Armor have some products like walls, doors and glass... Same guys who make Dragon Skin
The Following User Says Thank You to Barders For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2008, 11:09 PM
Is it Quiting Time Yet?

C4 and a back door
Old 10-21-2008, 11:36 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electricman View Post
C4 and a back door
For some reason, I think my HOA would frown on C4 or claymores but I like the way you think!
The Following User Says Thank You to Highlander For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2008, 01:56 AM

And of course for the worse case scenario, a good home defense firearm such as a shotgun. These days more than one probably wouldn't hurt. I personally have them hidden all over the house in small secret compartments so that my firearms are never out of reach no matter what room I'm in. Plus if no one is home, some home made hidden compartments can be as good as a safe when it comes to protecting your valuables. If they can't find it, they can't take it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jason Hoskins For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2008, 02:28 AM
Unemployment sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Hoskins View Post
And of course for the worse case scenario, a good home defense firearm such as a shotgun. These days more than one probably wouldn't hurt. I personally have them hidden all over the house in small secret compartments so that my firearms are never out of reach no matter what room I'm in. Plus if no one is home, some home made hidden compartments can be as good as a safe when it comes to protecting your valuables. If they can't find it, they can't take it.
i am interested in these do it yourself safes you speak of. a tutorial perhapse?
Old 10-22-2008, 02:29 AM

i think secret passage ways or hiding places are necessary for a true fortress. if they can't find you they can't take you either. not always possible, but if you can pull that off it certainly would be useful.
The Following User Says Thank You to daughterofliberty For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2008, 03:13 AM
bad grammar deal with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by daughterofliberty View Post
i think secret passage ways or hiding places are necessary for a true fortress. if they can't find you they can't take you either. not always possible, but if you can pull that off it certainly would be useful.
just remember you always need a way out b/c a fire will find anything hiding in a house.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to commoguy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2008, 09:17 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I have a hollow spot under the landing on my staircase. Any ideas how to create a trap door there? The stairs and landing are hardwood.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:25 AM
Curious Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
I have a hollow spot under the landing on my staircase. Any ideas how to create a trap door there? The stairs and landing are hardwood.
Check out this book, ‘Secret Rooms Secret Compartments’ by Jerry Dzindzeleta.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:28 AM
Survivor

Attached garage.... Drill holes in the door channels for padlocks and have them on a nail next to the doors. They are large and weak. So the walk through doors and windows also get bed frame iron or steel strapping bolted into the frames.

Avoid storing supplies there. Its a truly weak point . Door into the house should have a steel frame inner door.

Watch those vids again about the Bird flu and food running out. They use the fire ladder from the upstairs window.

Caltrops and broken bottle bottoms at the end of the driveway. Mix them heavy with glass or a magnet on a stick will clear them in seconds.

Same thing on all landings and front and back porch for a 6-8 foot swath.

Get or Make a good sized mirror on the end of a stick so you don't have to come out from behind concealment to see out the windows.

Blackout blankets on windows at night to keep light from getting out. Check for a good seal.
The Following User Says Thank You to Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2008, 09:57 AM

grrr just lost my addition to this thread and need to retype...grrr.

i had an engineered safe room built into my new home and i love the options it gives me. it is a 24X24' room that has a vault door, 32" walls and ceiling. separate ventilation, generator. i also have it setup in a manner that it can be used as a media room if i should sell the home in the future and the new owner can not justify that much space for the purpose...in the mean time i use it as a place to work on and securely store my firearms.

i will never live without a surveillance system if i have anything to say about it. if for nothing else than convenience, if i am reading a great book and the ups guy knocks on the door i'm not getting up...he can leave it at the door...and with the use of the intercom system that also routes to my cellphone i can even tell him to do so.

the intercom system runs out to the gate that enters my property and i can answer any visitors either with the intercom in the home or on my cellphone. therefore visitors are totally unaware that no one is physically at the property. i can also open the gate via my cellphone so if i am out of pocket and the fedex driver has a package i can open the gate so that he can leave the delivery at the door versus out at the gate.

with today's technology i can even view the cameras in my home and on my property from any computer with an internet connection...and i am told that i can view the cameras on my cellphone as well but i have not got that crazy....yet
The Following User Says Thank You to MountainManDan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2008, 01:11 PM
Survivor

Just like the can you live without power test, turn off the breaker box and see how defendable things really are. Even with generators most folks are done with them at 60 days and the good systems possibly 3 months.

Remember that barricaded doors and windows only give you a small bit of time to react. They hold off the invaders until you can get there and reinforce the no entry policy.

Pick up and remove anything that can aid in gaining access. Garde tools, and things should be kept locked up. smokers should bring in lighters, and barbeque lighters. Police the area regularly and remove these from the outside of the home.

As I had inferred my ariel parachute flares we very old and needed replacement. Look into getting some with high light output. Some of the old czec military flares light up 15 acres for 15 seconds. A rude awakening when the bad guys find out they are inside a lit up kill box.

Move large amounts of "Raining down" items upstairs. Most bad guys don't want bricks falling on them.

For us there will be nothing to be had on the first floor. It will be all but empty.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2008, 01:44 PM
bad grammar deal with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
Just like the can you live without power test, turn off the breaker box and see how defendable things really are. Even with generators most folks are done with them at 60 days and the good systems possibly 3 months.

Remember that barricaded doors and windows only give you a small bit of time to react. They hold off the invaders until you can get there and reinforce the no entry policy.

Pick up and remove anything that can aid in gaining access. Garde tools, and things should be kept locked up. smokers should bring in lighters, and barbeque lighters. Police the area regularly and remove these from the outside of the home.

As I had inferred my ariel parachute flares we very old and needed replacement. Look into getting some with high light output. Some of the old czec military flares light up 15 acres for 15 seconds. A rude awakening when the bad guys find out they are inside a lit up kill box.

Move large amounts of "Raining down" items upstairs. Most bad guys don't want bricks falling on them.

For us there will be nothing to be had on the first floor. It will be all but empty.
never thought about dropping things out of a second story window
Old 10-22-2008, 01:51 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by commoguy View Post
never thought about dropping things out of a second story window
As kids, my brother and I did that to the neighbor's kid. We would just casually lob 1 and 2 ounce fishing weights out the window of treehouse. I actually beaned him once. Right smack on top of the head with one I got in some serious trouble but the little troll left me alone.

I also got him with about a pint of black oil-base paint (he was damn near albino). Just let gravity do its thing...
Old 10-22-2008, 03:15 PM
audentes fortuna iuvat

Thanked 1,010 Times in 384 Posts

Tin foil can be used to black out windows also.