Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Farming, Gardening & Homesteading
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading and living off the grid.

Advertise Here

Old 03-20-2013, 04:20 PM

Default Anyone order from Willis Orchard company

Advertise Here

They have some trees I am interested in including some Paw Paws.

Anyone have any feedback that has bought from them before?

Thanks
Craig
Old 03-20-2013, 08:59 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,323 Times in 2,225 Posts

I have not, but you may find this link useful:

http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/6348/#b

Do take into consideration that people are more likely to go to the trouble to create an account to post a negative review than they are to post a positive review.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dealfinder500 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2013, 04:18 PM

Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for.

Looks like I will be ordering from someone else this Spring.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:32 PM
Thirteenther

Thanked 38,804 Times in 9,539 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigj View Post

Thanks
Craig
I have, and, despite being on the expensive side and having a small selection, I can personally attest that I had a 100% survival rate with their trees.

Also of note, they sell each tree in several sizes/ages. You can buy a tree that was 15' before it was pruned to fit in the box, and it still has scaffolds and some laterals on it, and it will try to fruit the first year (which you should discourage, but that's how developed they are), all the way down to 1'-2' trees that were grafted the year before.

Having exhausted most of what I wanted from Willis, I now order primarily from Raintree. Their selection is spectacular, though all of their trees are young and small. In the long run, that's not a significant disadvantage, but if you want to jump-start your orchard, you may want the 6'-8' tall trees that have an extra year or two on them, especially for trees like pears, that take forever to come to bearing age.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Harmless Drudge For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2013, 05:01 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,689 Times in 2,244 Posts

i bought 4 american chestnut trees .blight resistant . planted them last fall. they shipped when they said they would
Old 03-21-2013, 06:18 PM
Thirteenther

Quote:
Originally Posted by stant View Post
i bought 4 american chestnut trees .blight resistant . planted them last fall. they shipped when they said they would
As an aside, if you are interested in traditional American timberform chestnuts, try Chestnut Hill Nursery in Florida. They sell a "Dunstan Hybrid" chestnut that is 90% American (from a stand that turned out to be naturally resistant, though all the others near it were infected) and about 10% Chinese (which are naturally immune to the blight). They grow like a tree, like the American chestnut, but are immune to blight, like the Chinese chestnut shrubs.

An added advantage is that the nuts are allegedly larger than either of its parents. I have 5 trees, though none are bearing yet. They have, however, survived unscathed amidst dozens of coppices of infected native trees.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:35 PM
Thirteenther

Quote:

Thanks
Craig
A few notes on the Pawpaws:

1) They need dappled shade or full sun to give the best fruit, but need more shade than that to survive the first couple of years. They are best planted in a woodlot that is being converted to an orchard or permaculture food forest, and they will come of age as more and more of the canopy trees are selectively removed.

2) You can order seeds, seedling trees, or one of the few named cultivars. In addition, there are unofficially named "strains" that will grow relatively true to form. Because the named strains and named cultivars are not as developed as in other species (like apples and cherries) the advantages of named strains and cultivars are not as great.

3) Because pawpaws are not much developed, they are pretty much carefree.

4) If you grow from seed, beware that the seed MUST be kept moist. They MUST also be stratified (chilled in refrigerator) for several weeks. They send down a taproot first, and have NO cotyledons (the seed doesn't turn into a pair of fat leaves), much like an avocado. It takes a couple of MONTHS to sprout from seed after the seeds are taken from stratification. Pawpaws will self-seed enough to sustain, and even increase, their numbers, but that is a numbers game, meaning that 99+% of the seeds die. Direct sowing or broadcast sowing is not a viable idea, unless you have a LOT of seeds.

5) The fruit don't keep or ship well. At all. That's why they are eaten fresh. Even so, the fruit are so addictive to some people that they have been known to kill others who wander upon a wild patch that they thought nobody else knew about.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:05 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,689 Times in 2,244 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmless Drudge View Post
As an aside, if you are interested in traditional American timberform chestnuts, try Chestnut Hill Nursery in Florida. They sell a "Dunstan Hybrid" chestnut that is 90% American (from a stand that turned out to be naturally resistant, though all the others near it were infected) and about 10% Chinese (which are naturally immune to the blight). They grow like a tree, like the American chestnut, but are immune to blight, like the Chinese chestnut shrubs.

An added advantage is that the nuts are allegedly larger than either of its parents. I have 5 trees, though none are bearing yet. They have, however, survived unscathed amidst dozens of coppices of infected native trees.
well these are supposed to be from blight resistant ones from virgina tech research. but the very day i ordered them. i was working on a customers house and she had one that just poped up about 8yrs old, i stoped by few weeks later and got some nuts and have them planted. and yes i checked its a real american chestnut, gona plant those up in the ky knob country
Old 03-21-2013, 07:10 PM
QUANDOQUE PARATUS

Thanked 6,402 Times in 2,012 Posts

I received a couple of American chestnut trees from Miller, too, just this winter. I also have some fig trees on order. We just received some paw paw from Miller Nurseries.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:18 PM
Trapper

IIRC correctly the willis orchard company people were breakoffs from ty ty nursery. The Ty Ty people and Aarons seem to be the same people, but Willis appears to have been sabotaged by Ty Ty as a source of complaints. Fo sure, I would not buy from Ty Ty; did it once and not again. About Willis I do not know and will try them some day to find out. Anyone can write negative accounts and the Ty Ty people are good at internet advertizing and have dealt IMHO less than ethically with their customers.
The Following User Says Thank You to barnetmill For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2013, 08:56 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,323 Times in 2,225 Posts

If it is true that this company is a break off from ty ty (and I did a quick google search when I wrote my first post to see if they were the same company!!! - the zip codes were pretty different so at the time I assumed not)... I would have nothing to do with them. There's another thread on here about it. Dave's garden used to have some very extremely nasty reviews on them, but I guess they got sued by ty ty and had to remove it. But you can still find some reviews on gardenweb.com.

Let me say it clearly... if this company is associated with TyTy you will want to run the other way. They had literally several hundred (I think more than 500) negative reviews on Dave's Garden before they were forced to delete it.

If they are not associated with TyTy, then maybe place a small order and see how it goes.

One thing for certain, though, I would be very hesitant about spending $100s with a company that I've never done business with before. One thing that always got me about all the negative reviews was how they spend $500 or even $1000+ on a ton of trees, never having used the company before!
Old 03-21-2013, 09:58 PM
The Old Ways Live On

We have done business with Willis Orchard within the last year and have been completely satisfied. Healthy plants, great customer service. Prices are high everywhere. The Willis family are Old Georgia folks.

Ison's Nursery is another very old company doing right by their customers. Lovely Old Georgia folks and healthy plants
http://store.isons.com/instant-orchard-trees

TyTy - well, let's just say that the younger generation now running it has a different business model than those who originally built the business from the ground up. One look at the new Home Page should lift the veil from your eyes

Chatelaine
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chatelaine For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2013, 08:48 AM

I will probably give them a try on a small order. The TY TY company looks like a bunch of winners from their website. I know from personal experience how easy it is to log in as different people to defame your competition on feedback forums, so will take it with a grain of salt.

I will definitely give a feedback here on service and quality.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:40 AM
Trapper

Quote:
I will probably give them a try on a small order. The TY TY company looks like a bunch of winners from their website. I know from personal experience how easy it is to log in as different people to defame your competition on feedback forums, so will take it with a grain of salt.

I will definitely give a feedback here on service and quality.
The Ty Ty has new pictures on the site, but what has that to do with quality of offered products and service.

Quote:
Chatelaine Thanks much for: Ison's Nursery is another very old company doing right by their customers. Lovely Old Georgia folks and healthy plants
http://store.isons.com/instant-orchard-trees
Right now I am looking for realibable nurseries in my general area. Georgia is a little distant, but not out of the question.
For those of you in my area of NWFand nearby AL I strongly suggest you stop and talk to this fellow http://www.landscapeplantsbycliff.com/index.html
Several of us took a grafting class from him yesterday. Cliff talks and talks with passion about plants and just listening to him is a worth a trip. We were there for 5-6 hours. Basic cost for the course is $35 and it includes a fruit plant of your choice. My choice was a nectarine on chickasaw plum root stock. I have wanted to try chickasaw as rootstock since every peach or nectarine I have tried gets attacked by borers other root disease. The Chickasaw plum seems to be immune to almost everything . I also purchased a small crock pot ($10) from him to melt the mixture of toilet bowl wax rings (2 rings) and 1 pound of either bees wax (best) or parafin. We purchased persimmon whips for a dollar each and practiced on them. He supplied us with free used 2 gal pots for them as well as the compost to fill the pots. He gets his compost from a local cotton gin. The waste from the ginning process makes a good additive and its given out free. Transport is the hang up to get from the mill. Cliff sells a pickup truck load at 50 dollars a load.
I am notsure how my grafts will do due to my skill, but with practice it will improve. I have lot of wild persimmons growing on my place and I plan to graft them over to japanese.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:35 AM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmless Drudge View Post

I have such chestnuts, but they are not considered to be american chestnuts by the american chestnut foundation. But that aside they grow well where I planted them and I hope to get chestnuts off of them even if they are more asian than american in their genetic makeup. There are true blight resistant american chestnuts, but I not make an effort to get them since I only want nuts and not so interested in restoring the chestnut forests of america.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:25 AM

The negative reviews scares me away from them. I have ordered pawpaws from stark bros and burnt ridge nursery. The stark bros ones are about 18-30 inches tall. The burnt ridge pawpaws haven't been shipped yet. But both companies have very good reputations and have a good selection of pawpaw cultivars.

I also ordered a hybrid chestnut tree from oikos tree crops that is supposed to grow in a column about 20 feet wide. That haven't shipped yet either. Walmarts are getting shipments of dunstan hybrid chestnuts this spring as well. So I plan to grab one or two of those as well.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:57 AM

[QUOTE=barnetmill;5361782]The Ty Ty has new pictures on the site, but what has that to do with quality of offered products and service.

Usually when a company has that punk crap on their site, it is their way of life. 99% of companies I have encountered like that has horrible service.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:00 PM

I also placed a nice order with Chief River. They had some pretty good early bird deals, especially on some flowering trees and bushes for my bees
Old 03-25-2013, 09:49 PM
Thirteenther

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
I have such chestnuts, but they are not considered to be american chestnuts by the american chestnut foundation. But that aside they grow well where I planted them and I hope to get chestnuts off of them even if they are more asian than american in their genetic makeup. There are true blight resistant american chestnuts, but I not make an effort to get them since I only want nuts and not so interested in restoring the chestnut forests of america.
They are mostly American chestnut, both genotypically and phenotypically.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:51 AM
The Old Ways Live On

Default So, did you get your trees from Willis Orchards?

Just wondering if you did and if you we're satisfied. Feedback is good

I try to be careful when I make recommendations, so if you're not happy with the product and/or service then I may not recommend them again.

Thank you, and happy planting

Chatelaine