Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Farming, Gardening & Homesteading
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading and living off the grid.

Advertise Here

Old 03-19-2013, 12:40 PM
Hiker

Default Grapes and Cross Pollination

Advertise Here

Hi everyone. Got a question about grapes that maybe you can help me out with. I bought a house with a small lot, and wanted replace all landscaping with items that produce edible food. One of the things I want to add is grapes. Here is an idea that I was thinking of stealing and putting in the yard.
PHP Code:
[URL="http://gardening.bsntech.com/bsntech-blog-mainmenu-321/gardening-mainmenu-301/422-grape-arbor-a-granny-smith-apple-tree.html"]http://gardening.bsntech.com/bsntech-blog-mainmenu-321/gardening-mainmenu-301/422-grape-arbor-a-granny-smith-apple-tree.html[/URL] 
What I would like to do is do a Concord grape, a Concord Grape Seedless, some sort of green grape to make white wine and then something else for variety. What I am concerned with, If I plant one in each corner, will the cross pollinate and destroy what I am trying to achieve, or will it be ok as long as I am not taking the seeds to try and regrow something else? Hope that makes sense. Any advice and help will be appreciated. I am looking to build it next weekend.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:58 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 1,460 Times in 710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conman2U View Post
Hi everyone. Got a question about grapes that maybe you can help me out with. I bought a house with a small lot, and wanted replace all landscaping with items that produce edible food. One of the things I want to add is grapes. Here is an idea that I was thinking of stealing and putting in the yard.
PHP Code:
[URL="http://gardening.bsntech.com/bsntech-blog-mainmenu-321/gardening-mainmenu-301/422-grape-arbor-a-granny-smith-apple-tree.html"]http://gardening.bsntech.com/bsntech-blog-mainmenu-321/gardening-mainmenu-301/422-grape-arbor-a-granny-smith-apple-tree.html[/URL] 
What I would like to do is do a Concord grape, a Concord Grape Seedless, some sort of green grape to make white wine and then something else for variety. What I am concerned with, If I plant one in each corner, will the cross pollinate and destroy what I am trying to achieve, or will it be ok as long as I am not taking the seeds to try and regrow something else? Hope that makes sense. Any advice and help will be appreciated. I am looking to build it next weekend.
For years I've had a dozen varieties growing together and they stay true
Old 03-19-2013, 02:45 PM
patriarch

Thanked 2,069 Times in 1,083 Posts

Grapes do cross pollinate for a crop, but you need not fear that the pollen of one variety will in any way influence the fruit of another variety. It has been shown many times that there is no immediate effect. Only the seedlings produced from such cross-pollination will show any effect.

Most grape starts are from root cuttings?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to two bits For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2013, 02:46 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 1,460 Times in 710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by two bits View Post
Grapes do cross pollinate for a crop, but you need not fear that the pollen of one variety will in any way influence the fruit of another variety. It has been shown many times that there is no immediate effect. Only the seedlings produced from such cross-pollination will show any effect.

Yes,and also by grafting
Old 03-19-2013, 02:49 PM
Hiker

Thanks y'all. I figured that was the case, but wanted to ask before I put in the effort.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:45 PM
My BOV is gluten-free...

Thanked 1,321 Times in 302 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conman2U View Post
PHP Code:
Hey Conman! I think this is exciting for you...would you mind sharing more about what all edible landscaping you are thinking of? I love that whole concept. I started out with a .4 acre lot with your basic lawn and some trees. I'm trying to do the same thing.

I have four different grape varieties growing now but this will be their first production season (prayerfully!). Yesterday I ordered 7 muscadine vines in three different varieties, to stagger the early-to-late production too. I can't wait to see what those do.

I'd love some edible landscaping buddies. Not edible buddies, you understand.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:25 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,399 Times in 2,773 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by two bits View Post

Yes, the body of the fruit is from the maternal parent in most plants, and only the seed should show the paternal parent's influence. Most large fruit plants are propagated by tissue cloning, to ensure that the fruit of the 'offspring' is identical to the 'parent', which is hard to accomplish through true botanical seed, because most of them are heterozygotes (will not breed true).
The Following User Says Thank You to Dragonid For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2013, 09:05 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackberry Queen View Post
Hey Conman! I think this is exciting for you...would you mind sharing more about what all edible landscaping you are thinking of? I love that whole concept. I started out with a .4 acre lot with your basic lawn and some trees. I'm trying to do the same thing.

I have four different grape varieties growing now but this will be their first production season (prayerfully!). Yesterday I ordered 7 muscadine vines in three different varieties, to stagger the early-to-late production too. I can't wait to see what those do.

I'd love some edible landscaping buddies. Not edible buddies, you understand.
Since my yard is small, going with the grape concept, I am going to put a granny smith Semi Dwarf on one side and a Jon-Red on the other. Figure line one part of the house with Blue Berry Bushes. Going to replace the trees in the front with some dwarf Cherry (sweet and tart) and once I see how much room all that takes up, maybe put in a few pear and plum trees. See no need for a tree that doesn't produce something edible. Then I will also have a small square foot garden and several different herbs around the yard. All just ideas for now. Still working on getting the yard cleared and gotta get the fence up.
The Following User Says Thank You to Conman2U For This Useful Post: