Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Pistol and Revolver Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 03-15-2013, 09:33 PM
Recent Blog: I'm back
Knowledge is Power

Thanked 4,797 Times in 1,530 Posts
Default M&P SHIELD Problem

Advertise Here

Well,
My wife and I were finally able to get our hands on a Shield 9mm for her after about a 6 month wait.. We got it and I did a functions check in the store. I noticed the slide stop seemed to stick a little but just chalked it up to it being a new gun. I didn't have rounds in it at this time so I couldn't really "slingshot" it to ensure everything functioned. I assumed since it was an M&P that it wasn't a problem.

Well we got it to the range and started running rounds through it. My wife went into her first reload, slapped in a fresh mag and attempted to sling shot the slide forward.. Turns out that the ONLY way that the slide will go forward is to use the slide stop. The gun will NOT slingshot the slide home with a loaded mag inserted, with NO mag inserted, or even for takedown. The slide stop has to be manually forced down by the shooters thumb even with the slide removed from the frame.

The slide does lock to the rear on the last round like it is supposed to..

The issue to me appears to be one of two things.
1. THere is no spring tension on the slide stop. There is supposed to be a captive spring providing tension. This is the most likely situation.
2. The slide stop is binding on the polymer part of the frame.

I already talked to S&W Customer Service and they called the factory to talk to a Shield tech, none of them had heard of this particular problem. They are giving me a shipping label to send it back for repairs. it just sucks because I just sent her Sig P938 back into the factory as well because of a missing grip screw/stripped frame.. S&W is being kind enough to extend the shipping label for 3 weeks so I hopefully have her Sig back so she isn't gunless..

So far I am happy with the customer service received from S&W. and I will continue to post updates as things progress.

Anyways I just thought that I would share and maybe this might be helpful for someone.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to usmc0341 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2013, 07:46 AM
Knowledge is Power

Did this thread not post?
Old 03-16-2013, 09:49 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,382 Times in 661 Posts

I would never know if a slide didn't slingshot forward. I never load or reload that way. To my style of shooting it doesn't make sense. I send the magazine home, then as I am reacquiring the target I hit the slide release, and reestablish my grip on the pistol. All at the same time. To me it seems to add an extra step to sling shot the slide, which means slower target acquisition and a higher likelihood of me being shot.

It too bad your pistol doesn't work the way it should. I have read a couple threads where people have been having issues with the Shields. I am looking for an M&P, but think I will steer clear of the Shields. Good luck getting it fixed to your standards.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:59 PM
Knowledge is Power

With the shield in particular and the M&P's in general the slide stop is just that a "slide stop" It wasn't designed to be used as a slide release and as such it is really small and hard to find naturally under normal situations much less stressful ones. Its all inn the design of the pistol really.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:25 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by me View Post
I would never know if a slide didn't slingshot forward. I never load or reload that way. To my style of shooting it doesn't make sense. I send the magazine home, then as I am reacquiring the target I hit the slide release, and reestablish my grip on the pistol. All at the same time. To me it seems to add an extra step to sling shot the slide, which means slower target acquisition and a higher likelihood of me being shot.

It too bad your pistol doesn't work the way it should. I have read a couple threads where people have been having issues with the Shields. I am looking for an M&P, but think I will steer clear of the Shields. Good luck getting it fixed to your standards.
Same here.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:40 PM

This looks like the tread on the smith forum. The Op got ripped by the people on that forum. Lokks like he's moved over here to continue his non-issue with the shield.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:08 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,133 Times in 1,798 Posts

Sounds like S&W is going to take care of the problem.

Kahr IIRC requires you to use the slide stop to chamber a new round from a fresh mag.

That's one of the reason I won't own a Kahr. I sling shot all my slides and will not change my technique for 1 brand of guns.
The Following User Says Thank You to drobs For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2013, 02:06 AM
Honey badger don't care

Thanked 1,164 Times in 416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by me View Post

You're going to have to clear a failure sometime at which point you must be able to rack the slide without interferance of the release. Just sayin'
The Following User Says Thank You to 777 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2013, 04:55 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc0341 View Post
With the shield in particular and the M&P's in general the slide stop is just that a "slide stop" It wasn't designed to be used as a slide release and as such it is really small and hard to find naturally under normal situations much less stressful ones. Its all inn the design of the pistol really.
And this, is in part the reason that you must get this thing fixed. It should,without fail, slam forward and load by the slingshot method. By using the slingshot method after inserting a new mag, clearing a malf ect... you've just loaded every semi auto pistol known to man. You don't have to go hunting around for a slide release.
I would rather have one manual of arms than several.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:59 AM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobs View Post

Kahr IIRC requires you to use the slide stop to chamber a new round from a fresh mag.

That's one of the reason I won't own a Kahr. I sling shot all my slides and will not change my technique for 1 brand of guns.
I only load my Kahr CW9 from slingshot

That was put in the manual for folks that are greenhorns.
The Following User Says Thank You to AquaHull For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2013, 09:19 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,382 Times in 661 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 View Post
You're going to have to clear a failure sometime at which point you must be able to rack the slide without interferance of the release. Just sayin'
Yes I've cleared many jams. There is a difference between a pistol jamming causing you to manually operate the slide and the slide locked open not releasing during a slingshot. Operating the slide manually should result in no different operation, than if had done it as a result of shooting the firearm. If the simple act of puling the slide back causes it to lock, then every round you shoot would cause the slide to lock to the rear. That is not the problem the OP is having. His problem is with the slide catch not releasing the slide after it has engaged and he tries to slingshot it. He has also gone on to say it feels like a slide release spring is either missing or too light. If that is the issue, it would definitely cause problems. Just sayin'.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:55 AM
Knowledge is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by greybeard43 View Post
This looks like the tread on the smith forum. The Op got ripped by the people on that forum. Lokks like he's moved over here to continue his non-issue with the shield.
Actually the only forums this is posted on is this one, M4Carbine, and Perfect Union.. I don't know what you are attemptine to accuse me of, however, If I have an issue with a gun or a product I place reviews, ask questions, ect. Never been on the "smith" forum and I have been on this one for years ..
Old 03-20-2013, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobs View Post

I slingshot my Kahr CM9 the majority of the time and have never had an issue with it.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:10 PM
Weathered and Worn

Thanked 1,617 Times in 501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donner View Post
And this, is in part the reason that you must get this thing fixed. It should,without fail, slam forward and load by the slingshot method. By using the slingshot method after inserting a new mag, clearing a malf ect... you've just loaded every semi auto pistol known to man. You don't have to go hunting around for a slide release.
I would rather have one manual of arms than several.
Agreed. With any thing you plan to use in a combat situation you want to keep things easy and consistent from one platform to another. Grabbing a slide with my off hand as I'm coming off a mag reload is a lot more simple then looking for a little slide release button on a full adrenaline dump. Plus if I have to use a different hand gun don't have to change a damn thing. I can work my reloads the same way every time with out fumbling.
The Following User Says Thank You to TXRazor For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2013, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Actually the only forums this is posted on is this one, M4Carbine, and Perfect Union.. I don't know what you are attemptine to accuse me of, however, If I have an issue with a gun or a product I place reviews, ask questions, ect. Never been on the "smith" forum and I have been on this one for years ..

Did S&W fix this issue? I picked up a Shield today for the wife & hers has the very same issue. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher67 View Post
Did S&W fix this issue? I picked up a Shield today for the wife & hers has the very same issue. Thanks in advance.
This is one issue I'm glad my S&W M&P 40 does not have. I wish I could offer some help on a fix for you all other than just contacting S&W. But I'm curious as to the outcome myself as I have a different issue with my M&P - but mine isn't nothing I can't work with.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Did this thread not post?
It seems that it did.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:41 PM

Hi all, I know this is an old thread, but I am having a similar issue with a brand new, just out of the box 9mm Shield, and found this thread by searching. To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure if the weapon is malfunctioning or not, and I'm hoping a shield owner can tell me. The manual does not give me the answer.

With the slide locked back, and a (unloaded) magazine inserted, I can not sling shot the slide to release it. The slide stop will not drop down and release when the slide is pulled back to it's farthest position. The only way to release the slide from the locked position (with a magazine inserted) is using the slide stop.

However, if no magazine is inserted, the slide stop will drop back down when the slide is pulled to it's farthest position, and will slingshot closed with no problem.

Is this the way the weapon is designed? Or did I buy a lemon.

Thanks!

Edit: Additional information ... after field stripping the weapon, I noticed that if I insert a magazine into the frame, the magazine pushes up on the slide stop and keeps it held in the up (locked) position. Which explains why I can not slingshot the slide closed with a magazine inserted. I still do not know if this is the way it is meant to be however, because I keep seeing so many people say that after switching magazines to slingshot the slide, instead of using the slide stop. Which is impossible on mine.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:36 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,257 Times in 510 Posts

I think your trying to slingshot on a empty mag. Last round hold open will not allow this. Put bullets in it then try it. Use snap caps for safety.
The Following User Says Thank You to xBOOMSTICKx For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2014, 12:52 AM

That's exactly it! In fact I was just coming back here to say I found that was the issue. Thanks!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to ZombieSpaceDog For This Useful Post: