Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Knives, Swords & Axes
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Knives, Swords & Axes Survival knives, multi-tools, gerber, buck, cold steel, leather man.....

Advertise Here

Old 02-15-2013, 02:36 PM

Default Cold Steel Bushman Knives

Advertise Here

Does anyone here use Cold Steel Bushman knives? If so, any feedback you can give me on them? I am looking at ordering a Cold Steel Bushman Black SK-5 for my pack but would like to know a bit more about them first. Thanks!
Old 02-15-2013, 02:39 PM
Prepared

the bushman knives are ok.......

But the best coldsteel knife is the hunter plus :P

The gut hook is the best thing since sliced bread :P
Old 02-15-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus-Ra View Post
the bushman knives are ok.......

But the best coldsteel knife is the hunter plus :P
Very limited budget. I just need to get something to get me by for a few months while I save for better. This one is only $25 and has great reviews.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:45 PM

They are decent knives. Hard to beat for $25. Much better knives out there, but comes with a price increase. I won't say there aren't good knives out there for less than $50. But that is where I believe higher quality is obtained. But im my experiences, I can do everything I can with my $15 Morakniv as I can with my $100 knives.

Is this your first fixed blade?
Why are your intentions/purpose/philosophy of use for the knife?

It does have a 7" blade. Which is pretty unwieldy for an inexperienced blade user.

If you need a knife for the "do it all" camp/hiking chores. From whittling wood to processing some 3 inch diameter logs for firewood. I would first recommend a Carbon Steel Mora. Like the Morakniv Companion knife.

If your looking for a serious larger "survival" knife. Save up more and look elsewhere than the bushman. If i were to reccomend a similar knife. Look at ethan beckers line of kabars. The BK series. Great value knives. More expensive but not crazy pricey. Well worth the wait and money.

also as a side note.. I carry two knives. My bk2 for serious work and my mora for everything else. There really is no do it all knife. I would say get a Mora now. And then buy a bigger knife. You'll get by fine. And this way, you wont end up with two large knives and no use for the bushman. Money saved in your pocket.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:54 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,816 Times in 2,697 Posts

they are good knives, the Condor Rodan, Bushlore, Kumunga, or Hudson Bay would be much better for the same money, from Smokey Mountain Knife or Condor direct
Old 02-15-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 223shootersc View Post
they are good knives, the Condor Rodan, Bushlore, Kumunga, or Hudson Bay would be much better for the same money, from Smokey Mountain Knife or Condor direct
I will look into those! thanks for the ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
They are decent knives. Hard to beat for $25. Much better knives out there, but comes with a price increase. I won't say there aren't good knives out there for less than $50. But that is where I believe higher quality is obtained. But im my experiences, I can do everything I can with my $15 Morakniv as I can with my $100 knives.

Is this your first fixed blade?
Why are your intentions/purpose/philosophy of use for the knife?

It does have a 7" blade. Which is pretty unwieldy for an inexperienced blade user.

If you need a knife for the "do it all" camp/hiking chores. From whittling wood to processing some 3 inch diameter logs for firewood. I would first recommend a Carbon Steel Mora. Like the Morakniv Companion knife.

If your looking for a serious larger "survival" knife. Save up more and look elsewhere than the bushman. If i were to reccomend a similar knife. Look at ethan beckers line of kabars. The BK series. Great value knives. More expensive but not crazy pricey. Well worth the wait and money.

also as a side note.. I carry two knives. My bk2 for serious work and my mora for everything else. There really is no do it all knife. I would say get a Mora now. And then buy a bigger knife. You'll get by fine. And this way, you wont end up with two large knives and no use for the bushman. Money saved in your pocket.
I have a Mora #2 that my husband bought for me. it works for everything I've ever needed it to do. The Cold Steel was going to be a backup to keep in my pack.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:03 PM
Just reboot 3 times...

Thanked 2,007 Times in 879 Posts
Default I like mine...

I have had one for over five years now and it has been hammered, dropped, thrown, scraped, you name it. It still sharpens easy and holds a decent edge.

With a couple of corks and some trimming you can close up the handle openings and stuff whatever small survival items you need to in there.

Stick it on a stick and you have a spear.

Good knife that is versatile and able to withstand abuse.

One tip: If you get it, consider skateboard tape or something similar to wrap the handle with. It can get slippery as is.
The Following User Says Thank You to tricky48 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky48 View Post
I have had one for over five years now and it has been hammered, dropped, thrown, scraped, you name it. It still sharpens easy and holds a decent edge.

With a couple of corks and some trimming you can close up the handle openings and stuff whatever small survival items you need to in there.

Stick it on a stick and you have a spear.

Good knife that is versatile and able to withstand abuse.

One tip: If you get it, consider skateboard tape or something similar to wrap the handle with. It can get slippery as is.
this is the one I am looking at:

Are you saying it has a hollow handle?

I will wrap the handle with paracord if I do decide to get it.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:18 PM
Just reboot 3 times...

Thanked 2,007 Times in 879 Posts

Yes, but not in the typical sense. It is all one piece of metal, but the handle is folded over to meet itself, leaving it, in effect, hollow.

Para-cord is always good to have... I have not wrapped mine though, as the pocket is big enough for my purposes there, and the grip tape is awesome.
The Following User Says Thank You to tricky48 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2013, 03:32 PM
Prepared

The whole idea behind the bushman knife is that it can easily be turned into a spear, for everyday use it gets the job done.. And it will last forever, but if you have no intentions of spear chucking or using the hollow handle for a few item storage, get something else :P
Old 02-15-2013, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus-Ra View Post
The whole idea behind the bushman knife is that it can easily be turned into a spear, for everyday use it gets the job done.. And it will last forever, but if you have no intentions of spear chucking or using the hollow handle for a few item storage, get something else :P
I'm thinking I might just go with another Mora because I think the 7in blade is a bit too long for my needs.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:50 PM

I would agree that a 7" blade is typically too much for outdoors use. For a bigger bladed outdoors knife i prefer a 5" blade. If your not concerned too much about weight. I would look into a Becker BK2. With that knife and your Mora you already have, which the #2 is a great blade, and.. you know how to use it well. Why get rid of it? Those two blades compliment each other nicely, and cover 99% of anything you would ever need a knife to do in the woods.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:56 PM
Grand Poobah

I have a couple of these, and they could withstand being run over by a tank. They are sharp as razors as well. Good value for money in a very basic knife that can double as a spear head.

I wrapped the handles in para cord, stuffed the hollow handles with emergency supplies, and stuck a rubber bung "cork in the open pommel end. Instant survival knife.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike S. For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2013, 12:37 PM
Target Shooter

i have the bowie and its been good so far, haven't had extensive use , but typical in the woods living around the house checking quality and sharpness before going out into the bush etc. I didn't expect it to be the best, i mean its cheap, but for the price its a very good knife imo.

As far as the paracord wrap, i did this at first and removed it, im going to put some skateboard style grip tape on it so i can still use it as a spear if needed(or just a longer handle for more leverage)
Old 02-16-2013, 12:49 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 7,031 Times in 3,542 Posts
Default Check these threads

http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...an#post5223299

http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...an#post5198103
Old 02-16-2013, 02:48 PM

Thanks for the great links!
Old 02-16-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DementeD View Post
i have the bowie and its been good so far, haven't had extensive use , but typical in the woods living around the house checking quality and sharpness before going out into the bush etc. I didn't expect it to be the best, i mean its cheap, but for the price its a very good knife imo.

As far as the paracord wrap, i did this at first and removed it, im going to put some skateboard style grip tape on it so i can still use it as a spear if needed(or just a longer handle for more leverage)
Can I ask why you decided to remove the paracord? I was wondering how well you could actually affix the cord to the knife. I didnt see any places to tie it off too and the steel looks so polished that it would just slide off anyway.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:15 PM
Survivor

Thanked 10,292 Times in 5,514 Posts

got one don't like it the handle feels funny and the sheath is a world of crap.

If I need a spear I will sharpen a stick.

http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=272273

that G.I. tanto might be a bit of you. It is really not a bad knife. get the secure ex sheath though.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:26 PM
Opinionated old fart.

Thanked 6,987 Times in 3,332 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngiePoo View Post
this is the one I am looking at:
Amazon.com: Cold Steel Bushman Black SK-5 Steel Cordura Survival Sheath: Sports & Outdoors

Are you saying it has a hollow handle?

I will wrap the handle with paracord if I do decide to get it.
That is not actually a knife. It is designed to be a spear head. The blade is a single piece of steel and the "handle" is the flat piece of steel wrapped around a tapered form. It is designed to be fitted onto a long stick just like a shovel. Look at the bottom of the "grip" and you will see a hole for hammering a nail through to afix it to the pole. The "grip" is not even welded together where the sheet metal has been wrapped to make a tube.

The reason I keep using quotation marks for the "grip" is because it's not really a grip. A grip would be designed to fit a hand and help to wield the knife. This thing doesn't - it's tapered toward the blade and has no guard. My brother in law used mine to cut a watermelon once. He plunged the "knife" into the watermelon (the grip was already slimy) and severed three fingers. His pinky was cut deep enough to sever the tendon and now whenever he drinks coffee, his pinky sticks out like some fancy nancy.

So....IMO this "survival knife" is one of the biggest pieces of mall ninja marketing crap ever invented.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeffrey For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2013, 03:40 PM
Let the Debate begin

Its a tough knife that IMO is good for a bug out bag. Its light, I keep a
multitool in the pocket of the sheath, and as you know its cheap.
I have nicer knives I would use for camping that have better handles.
IMO you want a very light weight, tough knife for a bug out bag with a
7 inch blade for defensive use or to baton with. Its ugly and crude so I don't need to take it out and admire it like my other knives. If you carry a Machete than you don't need this if you pick the right one but other wise I recommend it.