Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Rifle Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 07-24-2013, 01:00 PM
Veritas Aequitas

Thanked 3,069 Times in 1,017 Posts

Advertise Here

They are 7 pounds unloaded and sans scope. I have ARs that don't weigh that much loaded. So you can carry a heavy rifle, that fires slow, and has a 16" barrel with "Mossberg accuracy"? No thanks.

Its great they take AR mags but you would be much better served inserting that mag in to an AR15. These are CHEAP and that's all they have going for them.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:01 PM
Tacticool Brah!

I am interested in the .308 big time - I currently have a .308 precision rifle in a 700 AAC-SD w/ Manners T5A DBM stock. I realized the other day it went from a $680 Remington 700 AAC-SD to a $2500+ "Sniper Rifle System" in a hurry. I'd like to add at least one more if not two , two + , .308s, 1-something to carry and "fight" with, and 2- something to carry around my new 30 acres of land as a half-aced 'Ranch Rifle' if you will.

My idea was going to be , build around a Savage Hog Hunter because they're smaller, fairly cheap enough .308 bolt action built by a great company and could be a great build. But I would go for a Mossberg MVP Patrol in .308 definitely.... Especially if I was able to somehow combine magazines, with the MVP and "AR-308" type build sharing Magpul .308 mags. That would be swizzzzeat.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:13 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyjump136 View Post
They are 7 pounds unloaded and sans scope. I have ARs that don't weigh that much loaded. So you can carry a heavy rifle, that fires slow, and has a 16" barrel with "Mossberg accuracy"? No thanks.

Its great they take AR mags but you would be much better served inserting that mag in to an AR15. These are CHEAP and that's all they have going for them.
My guess is the pencil barrel on that AR will start stringing rounds after the 2nd shot, whereas the barrel on the MVP is thicker and more rigid. Equally so comparing a 1500 dollar AR to a 700 dollar mvp is not fair, nor intelligent. Just like comparing an Savage Axis to a Remington 700 police.
The Following User Says Thank You to judochop For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2013, 08:51 PM
Freedom Loving Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downeast View Post
Anyone seen these yet? They look interesting in a kinda scout riflish way and take AR mags. These are chambered for 5.56 but supposedly there is a 300 blackout and .308 version in the works.

http://www.mossberg.com/products/rif...ies/mvp-patrol
These are awesome guns!!! I had the chance to use one the other day, because one of my team members picked one up to serve as our short range precicion rifle. Mossberg sent my team a version that is unavailable to the public. It is accurate to about 900 yards with high quality ammo. Im talking like match grade precision ammo. These guns are within about an MOA at 350-400 yards. I would recommend that anyone looking for a great scout rifle at a good price
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IrishWill For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2013, 12:30 PM

I've yet to fire an MVP, but have not seen a review that indicated poor accuracy on the hunting versions. Most testers were very pleased with the accuracy with loads the rifles liked, ranging from .5 to 1 MOA.
The Following User Says Thank You to mcseal For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2013, 03:58 PM
Freedom Loving Patriot

My team has achieved around .5-.75 MOA accuracy.
The Following User Says Thank You to IrishWill For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2013, 09:21 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,438 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishWill View Post
My team has achieved around .5-.75 MOA accuracy.
What specific load did you use for the above .5-.75 MOA?

Will the MVP 762x51mm rifle use M14 magazines as well as AR (SR25) magazines?

Just curious, but what team are you with that has an inside line with Mossberg?

11B
Old 07-31-2013, 01:38 PM
Freedom Loving Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragout View Post
What specific load did you use for the above .5-.75 MOA?

Will the MVP 762x51mm rifle use M14 magazines as well as AR (SR25) magazines?

Just curious, but what team are you with that has an inside line with Mossberg?

11B
My team was using 80gr. Sierra Match King BTHP's. I have not heard about the 7.62x51 rifle using M14 mags, but I bet they would. You could always ask Mossberg if the mags will fit. I am a team leader of a DOD Initial Reaction Force. We train around the world and have contacts with pretty much every gun manufacturer and gun related company.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IrishWill For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2013, 01:46 PM
Prepared

Quote:
My team was using 80gr. Sierra Match King BTHP's. I have not heard about the 7.62x51 rifle using M14 mags, but I bet they would. You could always ask Mossberg if the mags will fit. I am a team leader of a DOD Initial Reaction Force. We train around the world and have contacts with pretty much every gun manufacturer and gun related company.
The initial testers of the 308 version have reported it uses m14 and sr25 mags. Fragout knows this already, he simply wants to confirm these reports.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to judochop For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2013, 07:40 PM
Freedom Loving Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by judochop View Post
The initial testers of the 308 version have reported it uses m14 and sr25 mags. Fragout knows this already, he simply wants to confirm these reports.
Thank you for telling me that. I did not know if the mags were compatible.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:17 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Thank you for telling me that. I did not know if the mags were compatible.
judochop is correct, as I was attempting to confirm if the MVP 762x51mm version did or did not accept M14 as well as SR25 magazines.

You mentioned 80gr bullets, so I think you are referring to a version that is chambered in something else other than above caliber.

Sorry for the confusion.

M14 and SR25 magazines are not compatible, (you already know this if your DOD), but reportedly......the MVP 7.62x51mm version of this rifle is built to accept both somehow.

If this is the case, then it could be a plausible benefit to your team, and give you and yours a flexible capability concerning the inherent "usefulness" of the caliber itself as well as possible logistical concerns whilst deployed.

11B
Old 08-01-2013, 11:21 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokua View Post
I want too! nice. My only question is can i use the scope & the iron sites at the same time?

the sights are in front of the rails so either they are see through(i hope) or i have to remove the rails to use iron sights.
If the rail is high enough to block the iron sights, then this would be a deal breaker in my case.

Using the scope as well as the iron sights without removing the scope first is possible on some rifles, as they do have the "see thru" rings, but there is a trade off involved.

Using the see thru type rings will end up with an optic that is fairly high off of the stock, resulting in a "chin" weld, instead of a cheek weld.

11B
Old 08-01-2013, 01:16 PM

Iíve got some time hands-on with the Mossberg MVP (.223/5.56mm) rifle.

Itís ok. Not Great, but itís ok.

Itíll shoot inside one moa with the right ammunition, optics and shooter.

The capability to accept the AR magazine is a neat feature. This will definitely increase the time between reloads and reduce the reload time. However, after ten rapid-fire shots the barrel gets HOT. There is no hand-guard like military bolt action rifles have; so a glove on the support hand is suggested.

Avoid a glove on your firing hand because the magazine latch is down in a little hole that a gloved finger may not fit in.

Since this little rifle uses a detachable magazine a conventionally mounted telescopic sight will work great. There is no need to clear the receiver for the use of stripper clips. Redundant iron sights are a theoretical benefit. In my personal experience I have never required back-up sights. See through mounts, rapid detachable mounts or tip-off mounts are required to facilitate the use of back-up iron sights. None of these mounting techniques are particularly secure or ergonomically optimal and represent, in my opinion, an unnecessary compromise. I just donít think back-up iron sights are all that important. If youíre genuinely concerned that your optical sight might fail, then carry a back-up optic in the rings pre-zeroed for rapid replacement.

Tactically, this rifle is at a serious disadvantage when pitted against a semiautomatic rifle.

The real advantage of the MVP is that itís legal in almost any jurisdiction and it might provide the shooter a small edge in intrinsic accuracy over a semiautomatic.

Otherwise itís a handy rig to have in the truck when you go out to check fence.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kmussack For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2013, 10:16 PM
Survivor

Here is what I have found so far about the soon to be released MVP 762 Patrol

1. BARREL: 1/10 twist, medium weight, non chrome lined, 7.62MM NATO chamber. 16.25 in and 18.5 in length, and threaded muzzle with a flash hider.

2. STOCK : Synthetic or laminate. Both have sling swivel studs installed.

3. SIGHTS : Iron leaf sights mounted on bbl. ( Might be model dependent).
Optics rail over the receiver.

4. Magazine fed, and able to utilize M14 as well as SR25 mags.

5. Weight is around 7lbs - 7.5 lbs unloaded.

Note: The above info is from research only, and haven't confirmed any of this from first hand experience.

My interest in this rifle will depend on the actual production, and especially the final cost involved when they do release the above rifle for sale....(supossedly by the end of summer)

A threaded bbl = A rifle already gtg for a can.

A provision for mounting optics over the receiver that does not interfere with the iron sights = NVS, and other optics utilizing quik detatch rings.

The 7.62 NATO chamber and 18.5in bbl length = Very similar to my M14S in this aspect.

In my case, it will come down to the final cost of the rifle, and also if they ever come out with a left hand bolt.

The GSR is close, but didn't cut it in terms of cost.

The Savage "hog" rifle is another that came close, but no left hand bolt for it, and the cost is a tad high for what I want to put down for this idea of mine.

Anyone have an idea of what the actual cost will be? (7.62x51mm version)

11B
The Following User Says Thank You to fragout For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2013, 01:11 PM

I was looking on gallery of guns' gun genie, and MSRP runs from $681-$1098 depending on model. Barrel lengths range from 16.25(patrol) to 24(varmint). The only one with iron sights is the patrol version, and that is the only version with the factory threading as well. I would prefer to see either an 18/18.5 with threads or a 20 in with threads. BTW availability on all versions right now is ZERO lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to sgiandubh112 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2013, 02:00 PM
Prepared

This will definitely be my next rifle. I hope it comes out soon!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-12-2013, 09:58 AM

I got my 5.56 NATO Mossberg Patrol out of jail yesterday and will finally get a chance to try my "fun" loads in it--4.4 grains of Trail Boss under a 55 grain Hornady SP for about 1400 fps. This is based on loading data from the Hodgdon website. Cut a .223 case in half and use it as a powder dipper. 4.4 grs of TB powder is about what it throws. YMMV, as always.

Mile Long Lobby.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldchief View Post
If it is a .308 it will be a true Scout Rifle as defined by Col. Jeff Cooper. I was looking at the Ruger version myself.
They would also have to make it lighter.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:39 PM

I was interested in the Patrol and did a lot of looking. Saw two or three for sale, but more money than I wanted to put into them. Last Fall I bought a Savage Axis in 308 with the 20" threaded barrel. Did some trigger work on it and stiffened the stock. Had a mil dot Zeiss Conquest that I put on it. LOL The scope cost half again what the rifle cost. I also made a front sight for it and got an XS low Weaver rear sight. When the sights are mounted, I use a set of see through rings.

Thought about it a lot and then decided that instead of the MVP in 5.56, I would go with a 22 magnum. Got a Ruger American Compact in 22 mag. It will do anything I need out to 100 yds. Beyond that, I have the Axis.

For close in, I have a Savage Mk II SR.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotto View Post
I got my 5.56 NATO Mossberg Patrol out of jail yesterday and will finally get a chance to try my "fun" loads in it--4.4 grains of Trail Boss under a 55 grain Hornady SP for about 1400 fps. This is based on loading data from the Hodgdon website. Cut a .223 case in half and use it as a powder dipper. 4.4 grs of TB powder is about what it throws. YMMV, as always.
Very happy with the results of my low-power load and the MVP Patrol. Today at the range, with the rifle sighted in for 50 yards and using the open sights, I was getting about 1 inch groups with the low-power loads. The fullhouse .223 loads were hitting about an inch or so higher. Substantially reduced noise and recoil with the low-power loads, something akin to .22 LR or perhaps .22 Mag. Just what I was trying to achieve.