Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Nuclear, Biological and Chemical (NBC) Survival
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 01-23-2013, 08:28 AM

Default gas mask for a dog?

Advertise Here

Does anyone know if anyone makes gas masks to fit dogs, or has anyone made one?

I googled it and found a bunch of pics of them from WW2, but don't see anything for sale

Thanks
Old 01-23-2013, 12:47 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,648 Times in 2,878 Posts

I don't know about gas masks but I do know they do oxygen masks that a lot of fire crew carry.
The Following User Says Thank You to Purdy Bear For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2013, 01:23 PM

I don't know much about how gas masks work. I found these:

http://www.yuckos.com/pet_oxygen_masks.htm

You think if I could connect a filter to the oxygen intake port and ensure it was wide enough to get enough air flow this thing would work? I don't know about the vents on the side, if that would ruin it or not.

I also found this:

http://www.aeromedix.com/4Paws_Aviat...ygen_Hood.html

but its out of stock
Old 01-23-2013, 01:45 PM

They have to much hair for them to be effective. Thats one reason our soldiers cant have beards. Just not practical
The Following User Says Thank You to westwood For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2013, 01:54 PM

So do you think the ones they used in WW2 were not really effective?

Also, it would take a few minutes you wouldn't likely have to spare but you could shave the dogs neck.

I found this http://approvedgasmasks.com/pet-shield.htm
NBC enclosure which would be somewhat useful but is expensive at around $400 for my 60lb dog.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:20 PM

I think I am going to get a GP-5 w/ the hose and see if I can rig something up for her that keeps the filter on her backpack. I'm not extremely concerned about her needing it any time soon, just something to waste some time and money experimenting with
Old 01-23-2013, 02:23 PM
Receding from reality.

Thanked 4,183 Times in 1,525 Posts

I've had dogs all my life. Have 3 now. Love them dearly. But if it ever really got so bad that I needed to get a mask on myself / wife...they're just dogs and I'm not going to risk our safety to save them. They're on their own.

We live deep in a mountain valley with an active train line. My biggest concern / need for a mask ..we have them with good cartridges...is chemical from a derailment / spill. It's the most likely scenario for us. If that happened hopefully we'd have enough time to load them up in the truck and bug out in the opposite direction. If not...it would suck.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W View Post
I've had dogs all my life. Have 3 now. Love them dearly. But if it ever really got so bad that I needed to get a mask on myself / wife...they're just dogs and I'm not going to risk our safety to save them. They're on their own.

We live deep in a mountain valley with an active train line. My biggest concern / need for a mask ..we have them with good cartridges...is chemical from a derailment / spill. It's the most likely scenario for us. If that happened hopefully we'd have enough time to load them up in the truck and bug out in the opposite direction. If not...it would suck.
I'd be willing to spend 30 seconds getting a mask on my dog if I had one (after putting my own mask on). If that 30 seconds is enough to make a life/death difference I'm screwed anyway, would rather make the effort to try to protect my dog along with myself
The Following User Says Thank You to rockerZ71 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2013, 03:21 PM
Receding from reality.

Thanked 4,183 Times in 1,525 Posts

The chances of any dog allowing you to put a mask on it and then allowing it to remain in place are slim to none. (then there's the hair thing)

Any dog...military or otherwise...that would sit there calmly and allow you to put on a mask in 30 seconds AND allow it to stay in place...has been trained extensively to allow it to happen. Or it's a tiny dog that you can man handle. Mine are all 80 - 100 lbs.

No way that happens with my 3 dogs especially. Best chance is to save my butt and take them along for the ride.

Assuming it would actually take 30 seconds...lots of people have brass balls in theory...but in reality if you're watching a toxic cloud heading your way in 30 or 60 or how ever many seconds...survival is instinctive for most. I can get a long way away in that time. And I know I can get them to follow. In true SHTF my dogs are important. But expendable.

Just for kicks though...give it a try. Let us know how it turns out!
Old 01-23-2013, 10:25 PM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Thanked 42,210 Times in 5,787 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Here is one option:

http://www.approvedgasmasks.com/pet-shield.htm

And another source for the same thing: http://www.proki.org/pet-safe.htm

Something similar: http://www.armygasmasks.com/Pet-Prot.../aaagas-07.htm

And you can make your own with a PAPR unit and a home made enclosure.

http://www.approvedgasmasks.com/msa-optimair.htm

Just my opinion.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:13 AM
Big Member, Really BIG!

I LOVE dogs as much as the next guy, but in a SHTF situation you gotta look out for number ONE, your nourishment provider, Of course I'm talking about your Trained Hunting Cat.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:11 AM
Idiot Savant x Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockerZ71 View Post
Does anyone know if anyone makes gas masks to fit dogs, or has anyone made one?

I googled it and found a bunch of pics of them from WW2, but don't see anything for sale

Thanks
Skip the mask for your dog. Your dog "outside" your sealed up house is you're early warning monitoring device to determine if the air quality is breathable.

Interesting Trivia:

In 2003, the U.S. military planned to attach caged chickens to the top of their Hum-Vees as they entered Iraq, to act as an early warning system to any dangerous chemicals or nerve agents. Just like the canary down the mine, if the soldiers saw the chicken keel over they would know to don their gas masks. Dubbed Operation Kuwaiti Field chicken (KFC), it never actually got off the ground after 41 of the 43 chickens died within a week of arrival in Kuwait.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:09 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,186 Times in 1,014 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofthenet View Post
I LOVE dogs as much as the next guy, but in a SHTF situation you gotta look out for number ONE, your nourishment provider, Of course I'm talking about your Trained Hunting Cat.
True!! Keep in mind that cats have 9 lives, actually most have 100 lives. I believe if anything can handle a SHTF situation it will be cats for sure, they are a self contained survival kit, that doesn't need training. They can kill and eat anything their size or slightly large and rarely ever get sick!!! Mine brings dead animals back to the porch nearly every morning to "share" Like em or not cats are bad azz.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:40 PM
Preparing since 1972

Thanked 4,895 Times in 2,298 Posts

www.approvedgasmasks.com I have purchased other items from them and are great to deal with.....
Old 10-25-2013, 02:41 AM

Default Pet Gas "Mask"

You can buy a hood for babies which I've been told can be used for some pets if you're willing to do a little conversion. It's a hood that does the breathing for the baby so there is no mask on the face. The body of the hood cinches around the waist and sleeves cinch around the child's wrists. Depending on the size of your cat or dog you should be able to do the same with the pet's waist and front legs. If your pet is very small my guess is you'd have to put the pet inside the hood completely then find a way to seal off the bottom (where it would normally cinch around the child's waist) and seal off the cuffs. Like I said, I've been told it can be done but I have not done it. I also think the animal may have to be calm to keep it from tearing the plastic with its claws, so keeping animal tranquilizers on hand might be a good idea. I would also recommend putting some kind of booties on the animal's feet to keep claws from tearing at the hood. To find an infant hood you can use Google or Amazon.com and search: Gas Mask Escape Hood Infant. Would love to know if you do this, and the results. I will be trying it in the future, when my budget allows, and when I do I'll post again.

I'm also considering making my own pet carrier with a filter like the type used in the infant hood, which is run by batteries and breathes for the child, otherwise the air would not flow in and out adequately for the animal in the box. This would no doubt involve buying the infant hood as described above and a secure box that can be sealed, and combine the two. This would be a lot cheaper than the only pet filter I can find, which is a large bag that you put a pet carrier in, and is over $300 to $500 as apposed to the child hood that is less than $70: http://www.approvedgasmasks.com/pet-shield.htm

Last edited by goodgirl; 10-25-2013 at 02:45 AM.. Reason: forgot to add info about pet shield costs vs child hood
Old 10-26-2013, 12:12 AM
Eaglescout for Life

Thanked 5,140 Times in 1,263 Posts

I've thought about connecting a small blower moter to a chem filter and making a sealed kitty carrier for my cat. But honestly a gas attack in my area is pretty unlikely so its down the list a ways.