Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 01-22-2013, 09:31 AM

Question Best Water Filter for SHTF?

Advertise Here

Is there a consensus on what the best water filter out there is for SHTF? I'm talking about a gravity fed filter for my small family to use to drink collected rainwater, etc.

I did a search on here and didn't see any dedicated threads about this, surprisingly.

Any suggestions or help is appreciated. I am leaning towards the filters that Infowars sells, but wanted to get some other opinions if possible.

Thank you!
Old 01-22-2013, 10:05 AM
Capability, not scenarios

Thanked 24,714 Times in 7,471 Posts

Berkeys are good.

Sawyer makes some good stuff.

In my case, I have chosen not to dedicate the hundreds necessary to buy a Berkey, so i have the Monolithic filters from which, using food-grade 5-gallon buckets, I can make a poor-man's Berkey. Well, more than one, since I have several, and those several filters cost me well less than $100.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to goose3 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2013, 01:58 PM
patriarch

Thanked 1,900 Times in 991 Posts

Rainwater? The water will be as clean as the collection source , tarp, gutters, plastic & holding containers. If the source is clean, then the rainwater should be clean. It will only need be run through a coffee filter to romove leaves and a little debris. Rainwater is soft water, not iron, calsium, & mineral deposits to contend with!
May I add that the source of drinking water dictates the type of filter one needs. If you have a dedicated, clean water source, no filter is needed. Protect this with your life. If you are a refugee collecting water from ditches, ponds, lakes, etc. Be prepared to get the best filter you can afford. Your family depends on it!
Old 01-22-2013, 02:10 PM
aint afraid of no ghost

Thanked 1,221 Times in 538 Posts

I grabbed 8 food grade buckets from my local bakery then got 3 taps off some old sun tea pitchers and filters from monolithic and made 4 gravity waterfilters for less than 240 dollars.
they work great.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:12 PM
aint afraid of no ghost

Thanked 1,221 Times in 538 Posts

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/000...3_large.jpg?22

this is what i followed
Old 01-22-2013, 02:41 PM
patriarch

Thanked 1,900 Times in 991 Posts

Where to purchase these filters and see design

http://shop.monolithic.com/pages/the...t-water-filter
Old 01-22-2013, 03:10 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,643 Times in 1,283 Posts

get them all. redundancy is the key.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:07 PM

Please be careful, rain water is not always as pure as you may think.
Rain can pick up contaminates in the atmosphere.
In an emergency or disaster situation all water is subject.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:29 PM
Survived Panic Buy Dec'12

If you got the money, a Katadyn is hard to beat.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:37 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 7,031 Times in 3,542 Posts
Default Water Purifier/Filter For "DIRTY" Water

http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...wyer+LifeSaver
Old 01-22-2013, 04:46 PM
It is what it is.

Thanked 3,922 Times in 1,270 Posts

I have a Big Berkey and I love it. It works. It is simple to use and the water tastes good when you get it out. It doesn't take up a lot of space and is not ugly (ok I'm female and it is on my kitchen counter so it matters - sue me) The price is reasonable and it is easy to clean. What more can you ask for?
Old 01-22-2013, 04:51 PM
huh......what?

Thanked 32,091 Times in 7,942 Posts

My filter collection has evolved along with my knowledge and perceptions ( and rum-inspired internet shopping,LOL !!)
I started with a MSR mini-works that I got a deal on from Sportsmanguide,years ago ( and still haven't ever used.) Then I got a Katadyn camp filter (also never used). Then it was a katadyn siphon filter that was on sale somewhere ( also never used).
Then I finally gradumated to the big times, and sprung for a Big Berkey. I got the 2 black filters, and ordered 2 spares right then, and since have accumulated several (4? 6?) of the white ceramics. I've been using the two black filters for several years,cleaned them 2,maybe 3 times. One thing I notice, is that they eliminated the heavy chlorine taste/smell our county water has, which is odd, because these things aren't supposed to filter chlorine, they sell a special add-on for that.
Then, last year or so, I ordered a couple Lifestraws, mostly for me and my brother's GHB's. (yep, never used 'em.)
Then,not two weeks ago,I finally caved in to all the rave reviews,and sprung for a Sawyer PointOne ( which,of course, is still in the box.)
I also have a stash of PolarPur, and calcium hypochlorite.
Someone here recently poseted a link to these personal filters, and they look interesting.. I'm wating for some reviews....
http://store.seychelle.com/Pure_Wate...ing_Straw.html
Old 01-28-2013, 09:02 AM

Smile

Wow, thanks for all the great replies! All of your help is greatly appreciated!
Old 01-28-2013, 09:14 AM

Buy the Monolithic ceramic water filter direct from Monolithic - just google the company. The filter alone is 25 dollars plus small shipping charge. The filter, cloth sock to strain big particles, and a spigot are about 27.50 plus shipping.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:17 AM

I don't know if I am repeating this reply. I'm having problems posting anything. Buy the Monolithic ceramic filter directly from the Monolithic company online. $25 plus shipping for the filter alone - $27.50 for filter, cover sock, and spigot for bottom bucket.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:20 AM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapdoresoth View Post
Is there a consensus on what the best water filter out there is for SHTF? I'm talking about a gravity fed filter for my small family to use to drink collected rainwater, etc.

I did a search on here and didn't see any dedicated threads about this, surprisingly.

Any suggestions or help is appreciated. I am leaning towards the filters that Infowars sells, but wanted to get some other opinions if possible.

Thank you!
This is the one I use...it's a purifier....

http://store.seychelle.com/Pure_Wate..._Advanced.html
Old 01-28-2013, 10:56 AM

How do the Monolithic filters stack up against the Black Berkeys or the British Berkey Ceramic filters?

Thanks!
Old 01-28-2013, 11:12 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,234 Times in 660 Posts

How are you capturing your rainwater?

I found this from cooperative extention:

"Water collected from hard surfaces may include dust, bird droppings, insects, and other detritus not suitable for human consumption. Rainwater may be very acid and have adverse effects on certain plumbing components. The materials that make up catchement and transfer systems may add contaminants. Without adequate filtering, rainwater may clog irrigation components. Without adequate screening, you may breed mosquitoes.

Rainwater users are encouraged to think carefully about their end uses and to consider all aspects of that requirement whether it be for plant, animal, or human uses. At a minimum, Rainwater should be regarded as no better quality than any other surface water. Most of us would not drink from an open ditch. In some cases, we probably shouldn't allow our pets and livestock to drink from that ditch. And we can't assume that ditch water is suitable for irrigation. We need to pay attention to details."

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/chatham/ag/rainwater.html

make sure the materials you capture your rain water with don't leach harmful contaminants.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:32 PM

Sawyer...best price...1 million gallons...nuff said.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:45 PM

Thanks...does Sawyer offer a gravity fed home use filter?