Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 01-21-2013, 04:03 PM
Resident hillbilly

Default Les Stroud Camillus Knives

Advertise Here

Adam from Equip to Endure interviews Les about his new knife line and Les gives some incite into future Survivorman projects.

http://youtu.be/yKJ7w1TfNJQ
The Following User Says Thank You to nodgree For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2013, 07:51 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,056 Times in 2,403 Posts

Ill need to see them closer the handles look cheap but if they are as sharp as a mora and full tang maybe worth it. All the rest of the crap i dont need with my knife. But i was glad to hear him saying he might do more shows.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:59 PM

I own one (the SK ARCTIC) and ill be honest. the knife is ok... the sheath just flat out sucks... the sheath wont hold the knife in securely... it sets in their very loose... the knife did ok on feather sticks and small chores... i decided to take it a step further and baton through some old willow and it broke right at the handle... so for the $40 it cost to get shipped to my front door i say it was worth it... hope this helps
Old 01-21-2013, 07:59 PM
Silent Bob

Thanked 3,201 Times in 1,211 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodgree View Post
Adam from Equip to Endure interviews Les about his new knife line and Les gives some incite into future Survivorman projects.

http://youtu.be/yKJ7w1TfNJQ
I've seen the knives in stores, and I like Les and his show, but I'm wary of anything with somebodies name on it like that.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:41 PM
Improvise Adapt Overcome!

Thanked 8,649 Times in 3,871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300 blackout View Post
I own one (the SK ARCTIC) and ill be honest. the knife is ok... the sheath just flat out sucks... the sheath wont hold the knife in securely... it sets in their very loose... the knife did ok on feather sticks and small chores... i decided to take it a step further and baton through some old willow and it broke right at the handle... so for the $40 it cost to get shipped to my front door i say it was worth it... hope this helps
For the same price you could have gotten a USAF Survival knife, also by Camillius, and it would not have broke.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:12 PM
PracticalGear.net

So, to sum up, much like anything else relating to Les Stroud... mediocre. Just save your money for a Fallkniven
Old 01-21-2013, 10:15 PM
michelle obama scares me

I actually bought one of his knives by accident; not making that up, I was looking at it during a trip to Sportsmans and when I got home I found it in one of my bags. I thought about returning it, but I just never got around to it. Still haven't tested it out, but it's got a fire starter in the handle so I threw it in one of my kits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilgar View Post
So, to sum up, much like anything else relating to Les Stroud... mediocre.
How's your show doing?
The Following User Says Thank You to dannydefense For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2013, 10:22 PM
PracticalGear.net

Ah, a clever point - a TV show as a measure of a life's success...
Old 01-21-2013, 10:30 PM
michelle obama scares me

Quote:
I've seen worse measures. A little tongue in cheek because I happen to like the guy, especially when you start comparing him to every other name that's made a presence in the last ten years.
The Following User Says Thank You to dannydefense For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2013, 11:06 PM
Travel Light

Thanked 1,484 Times in 554 Posts

Quote:
OK, how about your music, book writing, or producing endeavors? How about teaching and humanitarian efforts? Anything to really make you something other than a keyboard warrior?

In the end Les has done the ****, proven it, and taught others how to do it to. You might find him, his methods, or the tools he sticks his name on mediocre, but if that's what your definition of mediocre amounts to I'd like to know who or what could live up to your definition of great....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Belifend For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2013, 12:04 AM
Resident hillbilly

The video was only published on the 17th of this month. According to what they say in it, the knives havent been released yet, lol. Not sure how anyone has one of them yet. He had an older knife or 2 a while back but I dont think they were made by Camillus but I could be wrong. So, without a time machine, I doubt you have one of these.

EDIT: Perhaps you're thinking of one of the Gerber Bear Grylss knives which retail for about $40 and fall all to pieces on the first use? At least he gave a survival guide with them
Old 01-22-2013, 12:15 AM
michelle obama scares me

Quote:
The video was only published on the 17th of this month. According to what they say in it, the knives havent been released yet, lol. Not sure how anyone has one of them yet. He had an older knife or 2 a while back but I dont think they were made by Camillus but I could be wrong. So, without a time machine, I doubt you have one of these.

EDIT: Perhaps you're thinking of one of the Gerber Bear Grylss knives which retail for about $40 and fall all to pieces on the first use? At least he gave a survival guide with them
I think you're talking to me. I wasn't referring to the same knife you were, the Les Stroud line by Camillus has been around for quite awhile now. I'm sure they're introducing new blades on a predetermined release schedule of some kind, but the one I bought is a small folder with a ferro rod in the handle. I accidentally purchased it almost a year ago now, sans time machine.

I'm not big on buying anything with names scribbled on them, and even less so if it's Bear Grylls name. I probably wouldn't have even bought this one had it not been an accident, despite the fact that I respect Les.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:20 AM
Resident hillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannydefense View Post
I think you're talking to me. I wasn't referring to the same knife you were, the Les Stroud line by Camillus has been around for quite awhile now. I'm sure they're introducing new blades on a predetermined release schedule of some kind, but the one I bought is a small folder with a ferro rod in the handle. I accidentally purchased it almost a year ago now, sans time machine.

I'm not big on buying anything with names scribbled on them, and even less so if it's Bear Grylls name. I probably wouldn't have even bought this one had it not been an accident, despite the fact that I respect Les.
I hear ya. I'm leary about buying anything with a name on it either. But, being a big fan of what Les does, I'd probably give it a chance From what he has said in this and other interviews, he really put it to them to get these knives right for survival and hunting use. In one interview (I'll see if I can find a link at some point) he even talked about teh problems with the firrst run of the knives he did. From his own mouth he talked about how the butt of the knives would break apart. That was one of the things he set out to fix on this line. I myself prefer my Mora knives over anything else but, Les is da man

EDIT: And I wasnt poking my responce at just you, lol. A few others said they bought his knives as well.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:27 AM
Resident hillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by marbro View Post
Ill need to see them closer the handles look cheap but if they are as sharp as a mora and full tang maybe worth it. All the rest of the crap i dont need with my knife. But i was glad to hear him saying he might do more shows.
According to this vid:

The knives are full tang.

It is great that he will be doing more shows. How about Survivorman Bigfoot? lol. Maybe he'll put the fools from "Finding Bigfoot" to shame
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nodgree For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2013, 12:34 AM
Target Shooter

I think he sold out,seriously,one survival knife for the arctic, one for the desert,etcetcetc
all the while nothing at all new under the sun
i like his shows though
Old 01-22-2013, 12:40 AM
Resident hillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by spundj View Post
I think he sold out,seriously,one survival knife for the arctic, one for the desert,etcetcetc
all the while nothing at all new under the sun
i like his shows though
One for the desert, one for the arctic? Where did you see that? He discussed the different blade sizes and that was about it. Did you watch the same video?
Old 01-22-2013, 12:48 AM
Target Shooter

http://www.camillusknives.com/lesstroudknives

no from a year ago or so when i first started following this story

http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=193625
Old 01-22-2013, 12:52 AM
Resident hillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by spundj View Post
http://www.camillusknives.com/lesstroudknives

no from a year ago or so when i first started following this story

http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=193625
I stand corrected. Looks like these are the previous versions to what he was showing in the most recent video. I'm assuming these are the fixed/better versions of the ones you linked too. I'm still trying to find the video where he talks about the problems with his first set of knives that he was addressing with the new. At least he admits to the quality issues of his products and works to better them
Old 01-22-2013, 01:02 AM
Target Shooter

the bottom line, seems to me , is that none of the points he mentioned then or now mattered at all when he was DOIN IT ,in the field,the fact he had a knife or didnt was his concern,
Old 01-22-2013, 01:23 AM
Travel Light

Thanked 1,484 Times in 554 Posts

Quote:
According to this vid:

Camillus Les Stroud Signature Knife Collection - YouTube

The knives are full tang.

It is great that he will be doing more shows. How about Survivorman Bigfoot? lol. Maybe he'll put the fools from "Finding Bigfoot" to shame

LMAO. I am a huge Les fan, not going to lie. He is the real deal. However, this commercial that looks very remote has a small flaw that made me crack up. Did anyone notice the house cat walk out at 3:10???