Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Urban Survival
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here

Old 01-15-2013, 09:31 PM
Utilize everything

Default Attacked by dogs while running

Advertise Here

Just a warning, this might be a lil drawn out, but please bare with me.

I'm a runner. I love to run. Not just for the health benefit, it also frees my mind and gives me time to think about stuff.

My normal, everyday run is about 4.5 miles. It starts at my home and goes about 2 miles down a huge hill and back up about 2 miles a different way. This used to be relaxing and invigorating. I always had to deal with the odd dog every now and then, but lately it's downright dangerous.

I was doing my normal run one day when what I think is a black lab/pit mix comes chasing after me. I immediately stop and turn to face the dog, which was pretty big. I had my Emerson knife on me, as I always do, but I was going to try and scare him off before I harmed it in any way. Sure enough, he stops, confused, and starts back home, Just as I turn to start running again he dashes at my legs and nips my ankle. Didn't break the skin or anything but I was in full combat mode from that point. I turned and picked up a chuck of concrete and hit that bastage right in the face. It ran off at that point. I went to the house that it ran to and knocked on the door but got no answer. So I finished my run.

After that I carried a stick on my runs. I went to my mom's house and cut me a sizable crape myrtle stick, about 3 feet long and an inch and a half thick. Any of you that are familiar with crape myrtles know that it is some sure enough hard wood.

The next time I ran my good friend the lab/pit mix was there waiting for me. I didn't slow up this time, just kept my normal pace and waited for him to get within range. When he did I spun and swung my stick, connecting with his face and laying him out cold. After a few moments he got up, mouth all bloody, and hobbled off back home. This was about two months ago and he hasn't chased me since.

I felt pretty happy with my stick, all in all. I carried it every time I ran and never had another issue until this past Sunday. As I was coming back up my hill a huge rottweiler looking dog comes bounding and snarling at me. I think I'm an old hand at stick-dog-fighting now so I just continue on and wait until he comes into range. When he does, I smack him on the head, hard. This just seems to **** him off and he lunges at me again. I've raised and handled large aggressive dogs all my adult life, and I had sense enough to know that I am now in a pretty craptastic situation. This dog had no give at all. He rushed me again and I dodged and hit him on the head so hard my stick broke. I had only about two feet of stick left, but now one end of it had a jagged point. As he snapped at me again I rammed the sharp end in his mouth like a spear. I could tell it was pretty deep and at that point he decided to call off his assault. I walk back home, all shaky from adrenaline, with my bloody, broken stick.

So, my question is this. Besides a firearm, has anyone used something, like pepper spray, maybe, that has proven effective in stopping dog attacks? There is a leash law in my town, but it's not enforced, so I don't think the situation is going to get any better. I do plan on attending my next city council meeting to tell them about my experiences.

Any suggestions?
Old 01-15-2013, 09:41 PM
Target Shooter

At UPS school we were taught to hit aggressive dogs directly in the nose with a package. I have no idea if that would work with a dog that intent on doing you harm, though.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dmzline For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2013, 09:41 PM
Hunter, Photographer

Could try something like bear spray, but then you have to worry about it drifting. TRUST ME, not pleasant.
Expandable baton, if you really like a stick that much. Bash a skull in fairly quick.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Red31 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2013, 09:42 PM

pepper spray will work.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to chris1162 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2013, 09:44 PM
stubborn old broad

Thanked 1,087 Times in 389 Posts

(not pepper spray) will stop a dog attack.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ZombieHoneyBadger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2013, 09:48 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,582 Times in 1,524 Posts

Too bad you have deal with this crap. I get madder at the owner than the dog myself.

After getting dragged off my bike one too many times by unrulely mutts I started packing Bear Spray. The stuff works like a charm. And my local Wally world even carries it. Not cheap....but worth it.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to papajoscochise For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2013, 09:51 PM

I run with pepper spray. Most runners like to keep things light, I would find a stick or a baton annoying to carry on every run. Unrelated to jogging I have also stopped a dog attack with pepper spray and found it very effective.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rusted For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2013, 09:53 PM
Potential Roux-Ga-Roux

Thanked 1,085 Times in 610 Posts

Hubby carries an axe handle. I walk and I carry a collapsible baton.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Lark For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2013, 10:14 PM
Jedi Prepper

Use pepper spray. Even the cheap stuff works great on dogs sensitive noses. Will cause less harm to you and the dog.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to addictedhealer For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2013, 10:16 PM
future Dryad

Thanked 1,031 Times in 262 Posts

You did a very good job in both situations, with your confidence, calm and balanced reasoning of how to handle both dogs.

Strong pepper spray is sufficient to ward off most dog attacks, air horns are also useful. My very best tool is an electric cattle prod, it would take a beyond-extreme driven dog to ignore a cattle prod. The likelyhood of ever encountering a dog like that is slim-to-none.
With some dogs, sticks, non-debilitating bullets/pellets, pepper-spray, etc will only anger them and they will fight and bite harder, as you found out. But strong electric shocks and objects shoved down their throats are two things they simply cannot fight.

(below is advice for those reading this thread who may not be familiar with aggressive dogs)

There are classes for people to learn what to do when a dog attacks, what is right for one person is not what may be right for another person. Everyone, especially children, should learn what to do when a strange dog is around. People also need to learn a dog's weak spots, what you did with putting the stick down the animal's throat, that was excellent. Flanks, eyes, noses and inside the mouth are the most sensitive targets.

When I was 11 yrs old, I was attacked in my own yard by a rottweiler. An adolescent, un-neutered, untrained dog that spent most of his days on a chain in his yard...but that day the chain had broke and he wandered into my yard. He attacked me from behind without any logical provocation. Thankfully the dog had never been trained how to bite, he focused on what he could grab and rip first, which were my jeans, my jeans were shredded from bottom all the way up to the belt loops. Since the dog didn't know how to use his full mouth in a bite, his teeth just scraped and bruised me without biting into my flesh. Thankfully I knew what to do in a dog attack when I was knocked to the ground, which is stay faced down and cover my neck with my hands and not make a sound. The dog stopped the attack when I didn't react, by that time both the dog's drunk owner and my dad had heard his snarls and came out to investigate.

People need to learn how to read the dogs' whole body language, so many people think that if a dog is wagging it's tail it means it's friendly...and so many people get bitten this way.

Learning about dog bite training and watching the training of protection dogs is an excellent way to learn a part of the canine language and different types of drives, nerves and temperaments in dogs and how to handle each of those types.
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to GreenShepherdess For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2013, 10:28 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,898 Times in 1,819 Posts

Sticks work good on dogs, as long as the stick works. It is surprising how the strongest of sticks and newest of shovels break, at the wrong time, or when you miss and hit the ground.
Longer sticks can be better. A dog may not even see it coming. They'll see a shovel, but an 8+ foot stick can smack them while they're focused on you. It's funny when they look around confused. LOL
Nothing like a sneak attack from a snarling dog, to get an old guy's adrenline dangerously high. Very dangerous. Wish I could control that.
Never had spray on hand to try.
Fourtunately, I never had a physical encounter with the larger breeds. One would have to be on their game to fight an 90+ pound, determined, aggressive dog. Not a good place to be at all.
Mutiple dogs seem to follow their leader, but I would not take that to the bank.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kajunman1 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2013, 10:32 PM
Stinks like...BO

Thanked 1,779 Times in 565 Posts

Rotties the biggest meanest sissies on the planet here is an example, my Rommel
Attached Thumbnails
rommel.jpg  
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to fido0311 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2013, 10:35 PM

Default attacked by dogs while running

well first of all I'm sorry to hear that happened to you. I used to work for a large courier company and one day I was in this womans house picking up a package and her Malmute at about 120 plus pounds tried to make lunch out of me.

well this woman did'nt help me at all and just screamed so I fell out the door backwards and grabbed the screen door and slammed it on his head and he released my arm . it messed me up around dogs for sometime. I grew up with a German sheppard and my buddies have pit bulls.

I had a Coyote come at me last year and now I carry a full size American made ASP baton. I don't trust sprays and my buddy is a postman and he swears by pepper spray but my lookout is if some dog is going to bite me for no reason I;m going to bash his teeth out of his or her mouth. PERIOD.

don't buy a cheap chinese copy and suffer with the weight or go buy Bear spray. the big can and carry that so you have a fighting chance. it was a little tramatizeing to say the least and I'm no suck either . the pressure from the big dog clamping down on my arm was something else.

a buddy of mine got chased by a German Sheppard a while ago and it got his ankle . the next time he walked by that home in the country he told me he had a cocked and locked 45acp loaded with 230Gr fmj rounds but the dog just looked at him and did'nt come off the porch . that dog would have been toast . get an ASP you could get chewed bad.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cement head For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2013, 10:37 PM
Stinks like...BO

Thanked 1,779 Times in 565 Posts

But honestly your right in saying hitting him just made him mad, they are tough dogs. They are resistant to pain more so than most any other dog. They were bred for war and moving cattle, a very old breed. But their noses are very sensitive I have seen people use vinegar in a spray bottle to stop rotties in a full blown dog fight with each other (they get in fights too, not the human sanctioned BS) and they stped cold and started sneezing and coughing
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to fido0311 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2013, 10:38 PM
rather die on my feet

when i run i carry a baton asp, i will not have to worry about it breaking on a dogs head.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stay Ready For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2013, 10:40 PM
Utilize everything

Think I'm gonna try the pepper spray tact. I have some police buddies - maybe they can get me some of the good stuff.

The only experience I have with it was when my wife was given some pepper spray on a key chain. It said to give it a quick trial spray to make sure it worked. Well, I did. Only problem was I was eating a hot dog at the time and the stuff must have carried in the wind, because the next bite of that hot dog set my lips on fire. By the way - water doesn't help. Trust me!

I'll still carry a stick, though (maybe a tad longer and a bit thicker). I'm just used to running with one now. The collapsible baton would be great for striking, but if I had to jab with it - as I did before - it seems like it would, well, collapse.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dante For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2013, 10:49 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,027 Times in 440 Posts

I've found that if a dog comes running at you the best defense is a good offensive.

Run toward it yelling and screaming and wailing your arms, I guarentee 95% of the mutts will turn tail and run like hell away from you.

For the other 5% you'd better be ready to inflict some serious damage.

Avoid head shots to the dog because some breeds have incredibly thick skulls. A guy in my city once stuck a pit bull with an axe full force on the head an the damn thing kept coming.

The vital targets on dogs are their noses(which are loaded with nerve endings), eyes, throat and paws.

Yes paws. Have you ever noticed that even the biggest dog you've seen have small paws with lots of little, delicate bones. A good, hard stomp on those babies will cruch those little bones.

Then the owner will have to choose between vet bills and their crystal meth habit.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to boy george fan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2013, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papajoscochise View Post
Too bad you have deal with this crap. I get madder at the owner than the dog myself.

After getting dragged off my bike one too many times by unrulely mutts I started packing Bear Spray. The stuff works like a charm. And my local Wally world even carries it. Not cheap....but worth it.
What he said ^. In situations like this you have to do what you have to do. The dog don't know any better but the owners sure do!! When I see dogs out without a leash that should be on one and in my yard I wanna knock the owners blinking block off. I havent come across any female dogs but males dogs a few times in my yard. The last one I had was a bit mean at me in my own yard and he came to me snarling, I got lucky and kicked him right in his puppy hood. That seem to set him straight. I blame all owners when dogs are unattended like this. They should get the beating also.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Glockredneck For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2013, 11:24 PM
2ft MOA

Rotts and others like them are like people on PCP. You can do everything you can to them and it may do nothing more than **** them off.

When you get the spray make sure you get the kind that shoots the stream and not the mist as that will get you as well if the wind is wrong.

Can you chest carry a small pistol in case that is your last alternative?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WonderMonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2013, 11:25 PM
Insert Custom User Title

Thanked 35,487 Times in 14,732 Posts

Like hitting a shark in the beak -- lefty taught me that -- pepper spray --

Μολών Λaβέ
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ricekila For This Useful Post: