Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 01-14-2013, 07:20 PM
Proverbs 26:4

Thanked 2,164 Times in 950 Posts

Advertise Here

Fry it up with some potatoes, eggs if you have them or powdered eggs if you have stored them. That is my plan at least. I'll even cook it up with some rice and beans if I have to.
The Following User Says Thank You to Diddy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2013, 08:21 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,009 Posts

When you pressure can Ham just use plain water as the liquid for the hot pack method and you will remove alot of the salt when you drain the ham to use later.
Because its under pressure and cooked for 90 minutes you will experience a softer ham than it was before processing but thats to be expected. Still easy to do and lots better than the store canned product and cheaper as well. Plus, if you find an especially great tasting ham you can chose your flavor and enjoy it anytime you wish!
I like the beef chuck roast the best and buy it on sale. I can it for beef and homemade noodles, or beef and rice on the nites i don't feel like cooking and still want a home cooked meal!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fixesstuff For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2013, 08:32 PM

I have ten or so DAK hams stored up and the obligatory 10 or so cans of Spam. Would pick DAK anyday!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EB.Esq For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2013, 08:40 PM
<--My Faverolle Chicken

I find the DAK ham salty too. I have to cook it with something else usually.

I have made ham and scalloped potatoes with it using the boxed Betty Crocker/Idahoan/Hungry Jack potatoes.
The Following User Says Thank You to TitanRX8 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2013, 08:41 PM
It's Survival Of

Thanked 2,859 Times in 1,131 Posts

I like Dak, and bristol is pretty much the same but a little cheaper. So I stock bristol and dak... buy what ever is cheaper. I use the stuff pretty regularly Once every week or two and use it in just about any cooked ham recipe. It is soft so unless your frying it, add it to the meal last.

I also stock spam and treat. But I go through weird spurts with them, I'll have cravings and eat 2 or 3 cans a week for a few weeks and then not touch them for a few months. I love it fried with mustard.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheFittest For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2013, 08:53 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFittest View Post
I like Dak, and bristol is pretty much the same but a little cheaper. So I stock bristol and dak... buy what ever is cheaper. I use the stuff pretty regularly Once every week or two and use it in just about any cooked ham recipe. It is soft so unless your frying it, add it to the meal last.

I also stock spam and treat. But I go through weird spurts with them, I'll have cravings and eat 2 or 3 cans a week for a few weeks and then not touch them for a few months. I love it fried with mustard.
You crave Spam??? You are a survivalist!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EB.Esq For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2013, 09:17 PM
Research, Learn, Share

http://www.campingsurvival.com/cannedfoods.html
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shorebird For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2013, 06:27 AM
It's Survival Of

Thanked 2,859 Times in 1,131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB.Esq View Post
You crave Spam??? You are a survivalist!!
LOL... I think it has more to do with "surviving" my childhood
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheFittest For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2013, 08:57 AM
Geronimo!

Thanked 7,115 Times in 2,054 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFittest View Post
LOL... I think it has more to do with "surviving" my childhood
Yeah, I think it has as lot to do with how your parents were raised. Mine were WWII kids who grew-up eating Spam as part of their regular diet. So we saw Spam on the table a lot when I was growing up ... along with liver mush, liver puddin', head cheese, etc. Nothing was wasted. We were not poor, we were preppers though and those canned Spams had to be rotated.

Besides, pretty much anything goes good with eggs and grits.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gallo Pazzesco For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2013, 11:34 AM
Merchant

Great DAK ham review from American Preppers Network w/ pictures: http://americanpreppersnetwork.com/2...am-review.html

We sell it.
CampingSurvival.com//Like us on Facebook!: It's not about the END OF THE WORLD - It's not about surviving a hypothetical PLANE CRASH - It's about the SATISFACTION YOU GET knowing you can take care of yourself and/or your family in ANY SITUATION, ANYTIME, ANYWHERE!
Old 01-16-2013, 05:33 PM
Merchant

We actually just made a video review of this product:

CampingSurvival.com//Like us on Facebook!: It's not about the END OF THE WORLD - It's not about surviving a hypothetical PLANE CRASH - It's about the SATISFACTION YOU GET knowing you can take care of yourself and/or your family in ANY SITUATION, ANYTIME, ANYWHERE!
The Following User Says Thank You to CampingSurvival.com For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2013, 07:47 PM
Threadkiller

Thanked 1,881 Times in 699 Posts

Why is it always ham/spam? Why not canned roast or something beef? Is there a reason they dont do this?
And yes I know some canned beef is availiable, I mean in a ham/spam at all stores kind of way.
The Following User Says Thank You to sigmund For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2013, 08:02 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 99,853 Times in 32,497 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmund View Post
Why is it always ham/spam? Why not canned roast or something beef? Is there a reason they dont do this?
And yes I know some canned beef is availiable, I mean in a ham/spam at all stores kind of way.
A lot of it is probably prices. I don't know why but canned beef seems to be ridiculously priced, for low grade, tough and stringy meat. I'd prefer beef too, but it's just too pricey and nasty tasting. I have zero of it in storage.
Folks, when starting a thread, please take a moment and consider which forum that thread belongs in. Disaster Preparedness is for disaster preparedness discussions only. There are forums for gun posts, news, politics, general discussion, etc. Please try to start threads in the right forum. This makes the site better for all of us. Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2013, 11:51 AM
Prepared

The best pricing I have found by far for Dak hams is Sam's Club which sells a 3 pack for $8.89.
The Following User Says Thank You to SSF For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2013, 12:13 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,009 Posts

Honestly i have never had a issue with Spam. I wouldn't want it everyday but i don't want spaghetti everyday either. Best fried and the low sodium version is better in my opinion. And its awesome in potatoes, cheese, BBQ sauce. No a better more convenient canned meat product at the price.
I can my own beef from chuck roast, i picked up 3 last nite its $1.48 pound at Ultra Foods so Sunday afternoon its a bottle of wine with the woman and canning the beef!
The Following User Says Thank You to fixesstuff For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2013, 12:14 PM
I am a woman. :o)

Thanked 7,109 Times in 2,272 Posts

We have both in our pantries. They are both good, and I would rather have the variety, than 'either/or'.

We also have a few cans of Harvest Creek brand "Roast Beef With Gravy"; I think it is very nice when served over noodles, rice, smashed taters, etc., but I totally agree that it is expensive!!! (We get ours at some of the local HEB grocery stores here in TX.)
Old 01-17-2013, 12:15 PM
Oh lord, THAT guy.

Thanked 1,232 Times in 517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
I like DAK better than Royale, but they're all very similar. They just have slightly different flavors. Some day I'm going to do a pictorial review of the 4 major brands compared to Spam. I have all 4 on hand. I just can't find the camera cable, and to be honest, the thought of eating all that canned ham isn't appealing either!
Mike, we are counting on you to take one for the team, here!!!

Serious response: like you, I prefer Dak, it's what I stock. And three for ten bucks at BJs is where I usually source them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sigma For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2013, 12:54 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reloaderdave View Post
Yeah, that's what I did. I remember one time I found lurking in the back of my pantry an 8 oz can of tomato sauce, but it didn't look like a can anymore, more like a mini football. Got rid of that one fast. I was thinking it was going to burst from moving it. But that was years ago. Along the same line of thought, those small cans of sweetened condensed milk tend to leak after a while. I found a few of those also. made a nice mess on the shelf! Again, that was years ago. Now, I make a point NOT to store foodstuffs that I probably won't use any time soon like sweetened condensed milk, and I rotate the stock of what I do store as much as possible, also checking the dates on the cans or packaging.
You can make you own sweetened condensed milk with powdered milk, sugar, and water
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hippytreehugger4ev For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2013, 12:58 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,653 Times in 1,288 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reloaderdave View Post
I have a few 1lb canned hams, brand is Royale, got them at Big Lots, around 2 bucks ea. I tried one and it's like Spam in a ham can. Is there any 1 lb canned hams that are hams, not spam? I also found one can that was starting to bulge on the back side where the breakaway key is. I can push on the backside and it pushes in then comes back out. the others don't. I don't think I trust this one. Is there any small canned hams that are any good?
the texture is a result of the canning process. sorry.
The Following User Says Thank You to snowie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2013, 08:16 PM
"prepping" since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmund View Post
I agree that there should be some variety of canned meats. It seems all the canned meats I have bought have a signifigant shelf life, albeit: tuna, sardines, chicken, spam, or corned beef. I love SPAM and truthfully its the most abundant meat in my BOB, but I can see it getting old fast (taste-wise). I think some cans of sardines would be welcome surprise between spam/ham recipes.
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleBarrelPatriot For This Useful Post: