Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 10-09-2008, 05:51 PM
Haha

Thanked 2,117 Times in 1,083 Posts
Default Reloading 7.62x39

Advertise Here

Is it worth reloading 7.62x39 when you have to spend so much time getting the dings out of the cases when they are ejected by an AK? Or is it just cheaper to use steel ammo as brass would ding so easy and so difficult to reload?

-Cade
Old 10-09-2008, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadethepagan View Post
Is it worth reloading 7.62x39 when you have to spend so much time getting the dings out of the cases when they are ejected by an AK? Or is it just cheaper to use steel ammo as brass would ding so easy and so difficult to reload?

-Cade
YES - but not for economics. My view on this is "they" don't have to take our guns. All "they" have to do is stop the ammo! For this reason I have set up re-loading for the rifle and pistol calibers I own, along with casting molds and furnace. The less expensive Russian produced steel ammo can easily be stopped from import. Look what happened with the Clinton magazine ban. You should have spare mags. Brass for 7.62 x 39 is expensive. All brass has gone up. It can be found if you look. Just as you should stock spares for a generator or comms, be prepared on multiple levels, for family defense. Re-loading saves a lot less money than it used to.

Fellow54
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fellow54 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2008, 06:41 PM
Information is Ammunition

Thanked 26,890 Times in 10,484 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Outstanding Firearms Post Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 5

so what DOESNT?
Old 10-09-2008, 07:33 PM
Haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellow54 View Post
YES - but not for economics. My view on this is "they" don't have to take our guns. All "they" have to do is stop the ammo! For this reason I have set up re-loading for the rifle and pistol calibers I own, along with casting molds and furnace. The less expensive Russian produced steel ammo can easily be stopped from import. Look what happened with the Clinton magazine ban. You should have spare mags. Brass for 7.62 x 39 is expensive. All brass has gone up. It can be found if you look. Just as you should stock spares for a generator or comms, be prepared on multiple levels, for family defense. Re-loading saves a lot less money than it used to.

Fellow54
Yes but the AK dings the brass casings so hard it makes reloading almost impossible without a lot of work and tools.

-Cade
Old 10-10-2008, 05:00 PM

http://www.ak-47.net/ammo/reload2.html
http://www.reloadammo.com/762rload.htm

Both of those pages warn against steel reloads I was curious as to why and some people say because of sparks. I really don't know how dangous it is but check out, he reloads steel.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:18 PM
Recent Blog:
Survivor

Thanked 9,028 Times in 3,346 Posts

1. Steel cased ammo is MUCH cheaper.
-Sure... imports might be cut off... BUt if you've got 10,000 rounds +... they arn't exactly gonna starve you out in a week now are they.

2. No harm with being set up to reload the round. (I've got about 600 once fired cases and collect more whenever I can get them free/almost free)

3. Back when SKS's were Rare war trophies... and 7.62x39 itself was rare... people reloaded steel cases. It can be done, it's just not as easy.
(Doesn't 'shrink back' following firing like brass cases do.)

in short... shoot steel, but if you want to get set up to reload the brass... no harm in that.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:43 PM
Hunter

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Cade I dont reload mine since my AK and SKS both eat the steel casing just fine. And I have enough on hand to tide me over for a bit.
I am saving all the brass for the AR though. Also all the brass for my handguns.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:59 PM

What if we just bought brass instead of steel? Does the AK kill the casing to the point where it is hard to reload?
Old 10-10-2008, 07:38 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,142 Times in 1,180 Posts

I don't RE-load for x39,but I do handload for it.I don't monkey with steel cases.Only brass.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:40 PM
Recent Blog:
Survivor

Thanked 9,028 Times in 3,346 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshgrease View Post
What if we just bought brass instead of steel? Does the AK kill the casing to the point where it is hard to reload?

It does not...

But check the prices/ price differences.
Old 10-11-2008, 02:28 PM
Haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshgrease View Post
It dings it enough I wouldn't know how to repair it. My AK puts a half inch dent in the shape of a line on steel cases. I can only imagine what it will do to brass. I asked my dealer about it and he said the AK has a hard case ejector and is known to ding cases bad. The AK was made to handle steel and corrosive ammo. So I guess since I feed it steel I will stick to eat.

-Cade
Old 10-11-2008, 04:20 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,451 Times in 1,988 Posts

http://website.lineone.net/~da.cushman/berdandecap.html
http://www.huntingtons.com/primingac...ies.html#decap
http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting...ding/index.asp

The primers are extremely difficult to find but they are out there.
http://www.dave-cushman.net/shot/ber...imensions.html

You can buy berdan primers. This is a load of crap from the manufacturers so they don't have to stock them both.

Up on the kyb pass the sit on the ground and take them apart and reload them by hand with crude hand tools. Depends on how bad you want to do it for the most part.
Old 10-11-2008, 04:31 PM
All bark, no bite

I don't think Berdan primed cases would be worth reloading. If you want to reload, spend the money and buy Boxer primed brass reloadable cartridges to begin with. I'm sure you could get at least ten or more reloadings if you don't load them hot (and you can find them).
Old 10-14-2008, 05:37 AM
Ex Wuffo

A bit of info on reloading this caliber.

I started reloading for the AK/SKS earlier this year.

This round has a .311 diameter. The reloading dies will usually contain a .308 expander ball as it is possible to shoot the 308 in an sks/ak (though with some loss of accuracy I would assume).

The round typically is a 123 gr fmj at aprox 2350 fps. I was reluctant to use the 308 and couldn't seem to find .311 in the area. I noted that Hornady shows reloads in .310 dia bullets. I was able to find Speer 7.62 123gr in .310 dia and chose to use that bullet.

With some research I decided to use IMR 4198. Now Speer doesn't seem to give reload data for this bullet in the 7.62x39 so I opted to use the Hornady data and load for the middle of the chart. (Start at the bottom and work your way up....... I know [I know] ).

After resizing, trimming and priming new brass I loaded 23.3 grains of powder in 10 rounds which the data indicates should give me about 2050 fps.

At the range I chose the Yugo sks to try this out. First some Wolf and I get an average of 2320 fps. Not quite the recommended 2350. Then the hand loads and I get an average of 1957 fps. about 100 fps under the speed indicated by the data. I had to load up to 25.6 gr of the IMR 4198 for an average of 2344 fps. (loading data indicates not to go over 25.8 gr) I am getting good groupings at 200 yards with the sks.

(typical disclaimer, I'm not responsible for any misuse of this information or any harm done by someone that shouldn't be doing this in the first place. Your results may be different than mine. Take care and be sane.)

I have had to toss some brass that was too dented to reload.

When I recently found out that the ruger mini30 uses the 7.62x39 cartridge with a 308 barrel it got me to thinking about factory loaded brass.
So I miked some and found some inconsistency, Remington 7.62x39 contains a 308 bullet and Winchester 7.62x39 has a 311 bullet (which the russian round is supposed to have). Remington brass also uses a small rifle primer. This seems to indicate that if you are shooting a mini30 that you might want to consider using only Remington 7.62x39.

Last edited by Wingless; 10-14-2008 at 05:40 AM.. Reason: Spelling correction
Old 10-14-2008, 05:44 AM
Read Books

Thanked 8,213 Times in 3,206 Posts

So the next question directly related to this:
I've been purchasing the former soviet milsup 7.62x39 (highly corrosive)and dumping the casings in an old tupperware bin for using later on.
I had a look at them the other day, and the little bastards are rusted very badly. Are they salvagable, or just too much work and not worth it?