Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Military Weapons Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here

Old 01-05-2013, 05:33 PM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 31,577 Times in 6,678 Posts
Default Rethinking SHTF Rifle And Ammunition Stockpile

Advertise Here

The shelves are empty, except for a few select calibers. Those calibers are 243 Winchester, 30-30 Winchester, 270 Winchester, 7mm magnum, 45 colt and 30-06 Springfield. A line of people are standing at the counter in the hopes the store got a shipment in.

Sounds like something from a movie? Nope, its the result of panic buying after the Communist Dianne Feinstein talked about another gun ban in the wake of the Sandy Hook shooting.

The calibers left on the shelf share some common denominators, they do not fit semi-automatic rifles, nor are they chambered in modern day military grade rifles.

The M1 Garand is chambered 30-06, but its not like the M1 Garand is sold by very many sporting goods stores. When someone goes looking for a new deer rifle, chances are the M1 Garand is not even on the screen.

There are semi-automatic rifles on the market chambered for 243 Winchester and 270 Winchester, but they are not very popular with modern day hunters.

What Was Sold Out

Everything besides the calibers listed above were sold out. 223 Remington, 22 long rifle, 308 Winchester,,,,,.

If it fit a semi-automatic rifle, and especially a military style rifle, it was sold out.

I did not expect panic buying to affect 22 long rifle. Everyone and their brother and sister owns some kind of 22 firearm; but why stock up on 22 long rifle when the government is talking about banning military grade firearms?

Lets Talk About This

If semi-automatic calibers are the first ones to be sold out, would it not make sense to have a couple of rifles in 30-30 Winchester and 270 Winchester?

Back in the 1990s I received a Remington model 700 mountain rifle chambered in 280 Remington / 7mm Express as a Christmas present. In the mid-late 1990s 280 Remington ammunition was relatively inexpensive. Over the past 2 decades price increases have made the 280 Remington too expensive to shoot. To replace the expensive 280 Remington I bought a rifle chambered in 308 Winchester.

Now I am faced with a dilemma, 308 Winchester is sold out everywhere, while stores still have 280 Remington / 7mmm Express in stock.

What is a survivalist who is trying to stockpile ammunition supposed to do?

If we stockpile popular calibers that do not cost a fortune, that caliber is the first to be sold out.

If we stockpile less popular calibers which are not chambered in semi-automatic rifles and not chambered in military grade rifles, then maybe we will have a chance to buy some after the panic buying kicks in.

Maybe We Can Reach A Compromise

Instead of stockpiling “just” calibers chambered in both semi-auto and bolt action, why not have a couple of rifles in 30-30 Winchester, 270 Winchester, 280 Remington, 7mm-08,,,,?

As I write this article during the panic buying, there are online stores that have 243 Winchester, 25-06 Remington, 7mm-08, 270 Winchester and 280 Remington in stock.

While people are scrambling to buy 223 Remington / 5.56mm, 7.62×39, 308 Winchester and 22 long rifle, other calibers are being overlooked.

Instead of focusing in the three main military cartridges, maybe we should consider adding at least one other hunting caliber that is not chambered in a semi-automatic rifle.

Awhile back we talked about stockpiling too many calibers. That article was an example about how easy it is to stockpile a wide range of calibers, brand names, bullet weights and types of bullets. For the 30-30 Winchester alone I probably have three different brand names of ammunition and two different bullet weights.

I do not like to stockpile a wide variety of ammunition and various bullet weights. Personally, I like to stick with what works in a given firearm and on a given animal. But that is what happens when the stores are out of stock, sometimes you have to buy what is available.
Attached Thumbnails
empty-shelves-1512345.jpg   empty-shelves-1513340.jpg   empty-shelves-1513341.jpg   empty-shelves-1513343.jpg   empty-shelves-1513344.jpg   empty-shelves-1513433.jpg  

Old 01-05-2013, 05:38 PM
Professional Bang Monkey

Thanked 1,357 Times in 713 Posts

You could do that, or just wait three months for the fervor to die down just like it did every other time this happened.

Then, when the market has settled down, you buy enough to where you shouldn't have to make a single ammunition purchase during a panic run. I didn't have to buy anything when this happened both in 2008 or now, and I shoot a LOT of common calibers on a regular basis.

No serious prepper should be counting on anything being on the shelves ever. They should have already planned for that contingency. The ability to continuously buy more is great, but if that ability is shut off overnight you should have enough onhand not to worry about it.

I'm not going to say buying more guns is bad, because it isn't, but if you are buying them simply because the shelves are lean right now you may want to save that money and just stock up on your kind of ammo when this goes away.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:51 PM

Now is not the time to buy guns, spare parts, or ammo.. you are a prepper that should have been done months or years ago. Your preps now should be food & fuel before those jump in price and slowly vanish.. and by fuel I mean firewood, propane, kerosene, etc. This is a SHTF for some people, but it shouldn't be for those who have planned for years !
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to hrdrock2 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2013, 05:56 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,022 Times in 645 Posts

It's amazing to me how a lot of folks in posts on this site have always recommended stockpiling certain calibers of ammo. I see the same thing in my area as most of us are seeing....popular calibers of cartridges are hard to come by lately because of panic buying.

Why most folks here don't reload ammo has always amazed me. I just inventoried my components and I'm ok....I could probably use a couple more thousand small rifle primers and want to try some Hodgdon CFE-223 powder though...
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to thess02 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2013, 05:58 PM
I'd double tap that.

Thanked 8,028 Times in 2,807 Posts

how about predicting which caliber and matching rifle will be the "cheapest" to buy going forward until it becomes the next popular choice and goes crazy the next time this happens?
Old 01-05-2013, 06:00 PM
I'd double tap that.

Thanked 8,028 Times in 2,807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrdrock2 View Post
Now is not the time to buy guns, spare parts, or ammo.. you are a prepper that should have been done months or years ago. Your preps now should be food & fuel before those jump in price and slowly vanish.. and by fuel I mean firewood, propane, kerosene, etc. This is a SHTF for some people, but it shouldn't be for those who have planned for years !

1. kev owns the site so he has to also write content for...

2. some people just started prepping and haven't gotten to firearms yet so this could be relevant to plenty.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:05 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,022 Times in 645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOpie View Post
how about predicting which caliber and matching rifle will be the "cheapest" to buy going forward until it becomes the next popular choice and goes crazy the next time this happens?
Most calibers are similar in cost when reloading...except .224 diameter bullets are generally the least expensive. Brass is reused normally and primers are standardized price wise. Powder charges do vary though and affect cost of loaded ammo. But...I never run out of any centerfire cartridges because I reload them all....even 7.62X39.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thess02 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2013, 06:08 PM
Survived Panic Buy Dec'12

Well if they "haven't gotten to firearms yet.." I don't think they will anytime soon! With all sincerity, Sucks to be you!!
The Following User Says Thank You to kenstar For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2013, 06:21 PM

If you got caught totally flatfooted... or even if you didn't but you haven't gone here yet... you might take a look in this direction.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoot...3Bcat104503680

Not the best self defense option, obviously... but these guns do have an attribute that no other commonly available firearms shares... they leave no paper trail.

Cabelas will ship it straight to your door... be here on Thursday...

I have a number of cap and ball revolvers and a 58 caliber carbine as part of my prepper arsenal... I also stock caps, ball and both real black powder and black powder substitutes... diversity is a good thing.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bill97222 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2013, 06:26 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 6,337 Times in 3,137 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

yes this needs to be talked about, AGAIN, i've tried to explain to folks that if yer going to the store every time ya need ammo one of these days there wont be any....i posted a thread on this back in 2009....for those who are interested.

''over the past year i have noticed the callapse of some of the survivalist doctrine concerning ammunition choice...first to go was the belief that standered american calibers would be much easyer to obtain during a SHTF scenario...

the reality is the most available ammunition has been mil-surp of foriegn manufacture and caliber, however, it is intresting to note that it doesnt matter what caliber you choose when ammo becomes difficult to find it's all difficult to find including some of the most popular mil-surp''.....

http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...essons+learned

note the simularitys between then and now, common calibers are all gone but i could then as right now still get 7.62x54r (my back-up caliber) for the same price it was two months ago.......

thoughts?
Old 01-05-2013, 06:28 PM

Just one more reason to make sure you have a shotgun. Plenty of ammo on the shelves.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bigtitan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2013, 06:35 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,952 Times in 1,208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtitan View Post
Just one more reason to make sure you have a shotgun. Plenty of ammo on the shelves.
overall, true. however, i was in several different stores today that sold ammo. 12ga in slugs and buckshot was mostly gone. thankfully, i have a 20ga (really bad right shoulder and can't shoot 12ga anymore), and found what i wanted for it.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:37 PM
III%

Thanked 24,980 Times in 3,011 Posts

Stockpiling extremely cheap ammo like .22lr, 7.62X54R and even 7.62X39 during normal times is relatively easy, so there is no excuse for not having enough. As preppers/survivalists, we are, most of us, already far better supplied than the 99%, although my current stockpile is far from massive, in the event of a major SHTF situation, I am well equipped for quite a few years. To put that into perspective, my entire ammunition/reloading stockpile has cost me well under $1,000 over the course of the last year.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sweeper80 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2013, 06:38 PM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 31,577 Times in 6,678 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrdrock2 View Post
Did you read the opening post?

This thread is an observation on what calibers disappear first.

Nobody said it was time to buy guns or ammunition.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2013, 06:38 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,271 Posts

Quote:
What is a survivalist who is trying to stockpile ammunition supposed to do?
My own personal philosophy on rifles for some time now has been this; a NATO round, a "castable" round, and a non-NATO but still very "American" round.

Quote:
Why most folks here don't reload ammo has always amazed me.
I couldn't even conceive doing otherwise. I realize that many do not, but I think that it is a great option for several reasons. An integral part of a "survival" plan usually includes some way to replenish supplies.

Quote:
I can tell you from a reloaders perspective, though, we go through the same panics. Calibers in the 6mm, 7mm, and 30 cal family are all very common and used in several cartridges. The .243 and 7mm-8 can also be made with .308 brass that is necked down. The primers and powder are fairly common so they're not as big of an issue.

While there appears to be some logic in consolidating calibers, it would also appear to be an "all eggs in one basket" approach.
The Following User Says Thank You to MS45 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2013, 06:40 PM
I sell US Military MRE's

Thanked 5,935 Times in 2,409 Posts

In my view, a lot of this depends on what your primary weapon is. Realisticly, even in a true SHTF, many people won't be making it thru fire fights in which hundreds or even thousands of rounds are exchanged. This is why I feel I have enough ammo for my AR's. The Korean shop owners in the LA riots fired relatively few shots for a successful defense. How long term of the SHTF is also a factor. 30-06 ammo, 7mm, etc would be used in even less volume.

Range practice burns up most ammo and that cuts into your ammo budget.

I have the most ammo for my primary weapons but also bought lots and lots of .22 because of the low price. I can use it for my .22's aswell as for our AR's (with conversion kits).

I think one has to prioritize what ammo goes to the weapons you feel are going to use most.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NHP1127 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2013, 06:44 PM
Trapper

something else to think about is if they are always sold out of .223 308 .22 ect. maby theres more of it in circulation since thats what everyone buys. not like your gonna be checking the shelf at wal mart when SHTF it will probably be trading with a friend or something
The Following User Says Thank You to steve5 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2013, 06:52 PM
Learning

Thanked 3,382 Times in 1,746 Posts

This whole thing just illustrates what might eventually happen to all goods and services: not available. This is why I always put extra of everything, I never just buy 1 box of ammo. Buy 2...one for the inventory and the other for practice.

Set a minimum that you will never go under...maybe 500 9mm and 500 .223 and that way (unless there is an extended event) never be without and be amongst the panic buyers.

With that being said I'd put some orders (even getting involved in a backorder) and hopefully in a month or so the ammo will arrive at your door.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Preacherboy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2013, 07:03 PM
Survivalist

Thanked 4,360 Times in 1,510 Posts

There is validity in owning guns that use a common caliber as well as guns that use uncommon calibers for situations like this and other scenerio's.

However, we must all have the mentality and plan like what you have will be all you will ever get, no matter the item.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SCPigpen For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2013, 07:11 PM
This is a great survival forum

Yea I've been thinking about picking up a 30-30 lever gun and more 12 guage ammo. But for now I'm gonna try to get a little more 223, then my next purchase is gonna be a lever action 30-30