Survivalist Forum banner

Portable Media Player instead of thumb drive

6K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  ONGU 
#1 ·
So I got a solar battery/phone charger for Christmas. Its not the goal zero but its a bit smaller and had good reviews. So I was thinking... I already have a 32GB USB stick in my bag but i would have to get to some kind of terminal to use the data there, and thats IF the power is working. Why not get a portable media player like an ipod to store all the data you would put on an usb stick. The thing is I hate apple and the ipod does not accept micro SD cards. So I found the Galaxy Player 5.0. It claims to play HD video for up to 8 hours and plays music for up to 60Hours!! on a fully charged battery. I think having one of these with as many micro SD cards with as much data you could imagine would be awesome. I mean if you could bring up every survival/medical/identification book ever printed wherever you are would be a pretty big help. If you keep it in a waterproof/shockproof case and only use it when you really need it. I think it might be a key component to my survival kit.
What do yall think? Is there a better media player out there than the Galaxy? Is there a major problem I am not thinking of?

(If this has been posted before, GREAT! I searched and didn't find it.)

#2 ·
so, yes, "disasters" can come in many forms, shapes, n sizes...

for example, a flight delay.. or an emergency run to the hospital and a long wait in the waiting room

many reasons where having some entertainment can help pass the day but it's not an end of world thing and there is still power, web traffic, etc to be had.

i've enjoyed movies on my ipad and iphone as well as some reading literature.

either device lasts plenty long enough and i keep spare battery packs to allow me to do a recharge if need be.
Since my iphone is on me always, it's a part of my daily carry...and my ipad usually is as well.
I don't see them as part of a long term end of world device but with a solar charger I can imagine a group of kids huddling around a movie on the ipad...but even better would be real stories told by their loving elders.

#3 ·
I don't see them as part of a long term end of world device but with a solar charger I can imagine a group of kids huddling around a movie on the ipad...but even better would be real stories told by their loving elders.
I'm not thinking of using it so much as an entertainment device but more of a way to store a whole library of useful information in the space and weight of an ipod. Including pics of loved ones and personal info. And yeah I guess some music is always a good morale booster. For now I have my android phone, personal computer, big screen tv (etc...) But those items are either too big to pac or drain battery so fast its not worth it. A small non-cellular device that you can view all different types of media on and has a good battery life paired with a solar charger seems like an important tool.

#4 ·
I carry all my important documents on a secure thumb drive.

Drivers lic,
birth certificates, Passports,
bank info,
tax info,
all our pictures etc.
as well as all my recipes and several survival books.

all scanned in the common .PDF format.
anything that we cannot grab in the 10 mins it would take us to bug out with our BOBs.

I have been experimenting with an iPad for post SHTF operation but so far Im am not happy with how difficult it is to get info from the thumb drive to the iPad.

Reactions: mgriffen
#5 ·
I have been experimenting with an iPad for post SHTF operation but so far Im am not happy with how difficult it is to get info from the thumb drive to the iPad.

This is exactly why I am looking into the Galaxy Player 5.0
1) Apple sucks, you can't put an MicroSD chip into it.
2) You pretty much have to use itunes to do anything with them
3) The battery drain on an ipad is rediculous compared to a small device
4) tablets/ipads are too big and fragile

I'm telling you a android based portable media player is the way to go. 60 Hours of continuous mp3 playback!! (not that music is what I would use it for but that means you can probably keep it charged for days on end if you just use it to reference important information)

#7 ·
Yeah. You can have all the books ever written... well all the important ones at least and have them at your fingertips. It can display alot more than pdf files, and audio and video. and it has a mic for video chat or just recording your thoughts... Its like a smart phone without the phone part. and the battery last like a million times longer than a smart phone.

#10 ·
Check Ebay and Amazon, you can find generic android tablets for around $80.

They take MicroSDs up to 32 Gig.

And do anything you expect a smart phone to do except make phone calls. The 7 inch sizes are big enough without being too big.

Combine one with a solar charger and you got a pretty good SHTF data storage, and entertainment device.

#12 ·
I've got one of the generic Andriod tablets. A Zeki brand 7 inch. Got it on sale for like $60. It has a micro sd slot and it reads PDF and ePub. It has a web browser and plays music, the usual stuff. I use it as an e-reader as I travel a lot for my job. It performs that function well. I will say, however, that the web browser is slow. It seems to last a few hours on one charge, and seems to recharge within an hour or two. Not too bad for $60. I've installed Netflix on it as we'll as the weather channel app. They work okay.

#13 ·
I think the tablets are great, especially those that yall found for less than 100 buck, and they are probably easier to read from because they are a little bigger (7inch I think)
The only thing Im thinking is that they might be a little too big and or fragile. Some of the tablets require a certain voltage to charge and wont be able to take advantage of solar charger. The Galaxy player and or similar media device is only 4 to 5 inches like an ipod. Easier to pack, dont have to worry about screen as much, not quite as easy to read from because of smaller size but probably has longest lasting battery because its smaller.
I will still keep a USB stick with important info, but having a media player makes alot of sense, especially if the SHTF and you can no longer access a computer to stick your usb into.

#15 ·
Although you don't like Apple :confused:Ill still give an honest opinion and not try to steer you wrong :) I find the Sony MP3/4 players are a great storage device. They hold files from video to pictures, even some docs. But I would still have to encourage you to think about an Apple product :thumb:

#16 ·
But I would still have to encourage you to think about an Apple product :thumb:
So I do some PC repair in my small town, and it requires me to usually be on the phone alot with someone that can barley speak English and doesn't give a crap about me or my customer. One time I did a little work on an Mac book and I had to call customer service. Holy cow I got a guy that spoke perfect, fluent English that I could understand and was really nice and helpful and understanding with the issue. So I give apple customer support a big thumbs up :thumb:
But.... Its really just preference. I don't like apple because they force you to use Apple app store and I tunes and so on. You can only sync with one computer at a time. Its really difficult to transfer downloaded media not from itunes and hope it stays on the device, if you have to do an OS update or something similar. Lost lots of stuff when updating an ipod. Then again maybe it is my lack of knowledge with the ios platform.
I think the number one reason why I wouldn't choose a ipod for this particular use is that it does not accept SD cards of any form. Nor does it have any other choices for auxiliary I/O...(HDMI, Micro USB, etc...)
The whole point of carrying a USB stick in your BOB is because you can store alot of important information on it without taking up much space or weight. But I posit that its only useful if you can find a working terminal. So the solution is to have a SMALL and LIGHT portable media device that accepts SD cards. If you have access to SD cards then you can fill as many of those little suckers up with as much information as you could possibly imagine. Pair that with something like the Rothco solar battery charger and you are good to go..... Until something breaks... Which it will....:sleep:

#18 ·
I have a Galaxy II android phone. If I get one of these $1.99 micro to usb adapters, that should work with all thumb drives for .pdf files and others yes?

This way, you carry one device to play all thumb drives and have a phone too. :thumb::confused:

Reactions: libertyandjustus
#22 ·
Depending on how technical you want to get with your data there are plenty of options out there. I myself am not a fan of apple products personally ( too proprietary IMHO ) but they can be used as a survival media player so they do have there place. I have a belief that open source media will become its own trade in a PAW setting once things start to stabilize to the point that that society is starting to rebuild. Files like OOG or FLAC are going to be the most desirable formats to trade in as they do not have the copyright information that your MP3's MP4's and ALAC (apple Lossless Audio Codec) formats have . I use a Chinese knock off of the Ipod touch that has built in OOG and FLAC support built into it. The ability to take micro SD cards means I can have unlimited storage in 64gb increments. Using the Mini USB plug to sync and charge the player means near unlimited chances to find a charge cable nearly anywhere . Standardization is a good thing .

#23 ·
A generic <$100 android tablet is probably the way to go. Tucked away in a bag they're hard to break, are easy to read documents on and since they don't use proprietary inputs like apples or other device makers products, are easy to transfer files on from pretty much anywhere. Not to mention 32gb+ of storage. Just make sure you get one with a capacitive screen and not a resistive touch screen.

Something like one of these.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-M009-E1...70950255014?pt=US_Tablets&hash=item27cd6de1a6

You could even get a couple of them at that price and use one as a backup. 2 is 1 and 1 is none.

#24 ·
Apple does suck with the proprietary apps and such. You used top be able to turn on a feature which would allow you to access your iPods hard disk just like a flash drive. I recently bought an iPod mini from like 2004 and put in a 16gb compact flash card and new battery. All in for $50 max, I can use this as a flash drive now too.

I like old apple products, and the old used iPod touches are dirt cheap, under $50 in some cases. A 64gb scratched iPod touch would be perfect for a disaster or whatever. Throw in some external batteries and you have a device which is cheaper and infinitely more functional than a sub-$400 android whatever.

When you get into apples ecosystem it is so easy to carry around all of your movies, music, documents, and most importantly your pictures. I never look at them, but it comforts me to know that I have every picture that I've ever taken with my wife in the five or so years that we have known each other with me at all times. All organized in their own well labeled albums and automatically synced with any new additions.

The back up iPod/document device is a great idea though, I might have to look into getting a spare Touch and scanning all of our documents.

#25 ·
So an iPod would definitely work. You might run into some file types that you cant read... My wife's 4th gen iPod touch does NOT accept SD cards and only has the proprietary apple iPod out plug. No mini USB, no HDMI, etc... I think I paid about 300 dollars for it a year and a half ago. It is the 64GB model.

I've been pushing the Galaxy Player 5.0 because it is much more universal.
Found one on Tiger Direct for $150
Most importantly you can plug it into any computer and transfer files like a mass storage device. You don't have to use iTunes or any crap like that. You don't have to sync it to any one computer. You can use Google play or amazon app store, or download any other apps you feel safe downloading. Instead of being forced to use apple appstore.
And it has a display which allows you to view your important data immediately, just like a smart phone.

Accepted Media Formats:
SD MMC Expansion Slot: Up to 32GB microSD Card
Video Files: AVI, MP4, 3GP, WMV, ASF, MKV, FLV
Audio Files: MP3, WMA, Ogg, FLAC, AAC, WAV
Image Files: JPEG, GIF, BMP, PNG
Document Files: Word File (doc, docx, xml, txt, rtf, dot, dotx), Excel File (xls, xlsx, csv, xlt, xltx), PowerPoint (ppt, pptx, pot, potx, pps, ppsx), PDF

Connectivity:
USB 2.0: yes
USB Connection (MTP/UMS): yes
Bluetooth: Bluetooth 3.0
Wireless Internet: Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n

General Applications:
Alarm/Clock, AllShare, Calculator, Calendar, Camera, Email, FM Radio, Gallery, Gmail, Google Search, Latitude, Maps, Market, Memo, Mini Diary, My Files, Navigatior, Qik, Samsung Apps, Task Manager, ThinkFree Office, Voice Recorder, YouTube etc.
(iPod does not have a internal microphone)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.