Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Military Weapons Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here

Old 12-25-2012, 03:49 PM
Thirteenther

Thanked 38,488 Times in 9,469 Posts
Default Should I sell my Colt Ar-15 A2?

Advertise Here

Some number of years ago, I bought a Colt AR-15 A2. Because that brand of AR is banned in CT, I have had to keep it out of state, with friends in New Hampshire. While we have no anticipation of "bugging out," my friends and we have designated each others' homes as our BOL's.

The question is, with the recent panic buying, should I now sell my AR. It is a platform that I am rather ambivalent to, neither disliking it, nor preferring it over others. I find the Mini 14 to be more suited to my needs, and I bought the AR simply because I got a decent deal.

Should I sell now, or would it be more prudent to wait? If I do wait, should I put it into a trust in case a new AWB forbids transfers of grandfathered guns?
Old 12-25-2012, 03:52 PM
Survivor

Thanked 14,203 Times in 4,987 Posts

If you don't really want it and you don't have children you'd like to pass a legacy of being a free person who is armed, then sell it. They are going for a lot of money now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Prepping For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2012, 04:05 PM
Monster Make Pretty....

My feeling is sell it if you think that what you could get with the money will be of more value down the road..

Gold and silver are way down this week... If you could get $2500 for the Colt and buy an ounce of gold and some silver that seems like a good investment to me..

Personally I dont think the prices will stay high forever, I think things will settle down and the prices will drop some (not as cheap as they where, I think $600 AR's is a thing of the past) or they will simply not be available or restricted..

If you want to sell it, Id say this is the time..... If you dont want to sell it then the price you can get is irrelevant.... If things come unglued a month from now that $2500 will be worth a heck of a lot less than the Colt...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MonsterMetal For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2012, 04:34 PM
Thirteenther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prepping View Post
If you don't really want it and you don't have children you'd like to pass a legacy of being a free person who is armed, then sell it. They are going for a lot of money now.
I have 2 daughters, ages 6 and 10. They both shoot. To date, they each have a .22. My 10 y/o has a Mini 14. I have one for her sister, but she's nowhere near old enough yet.

I want to use the proceeds to buy .410 shotguns for each of them, and another 12 ga.

I also have for each of them an SKS, several bolt actions, etc.

I buy in pairs for this reason.

Quite frankly, I just don't have a love affair with the AR. I'm just wondering if this is the best timing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Harmless Drudge For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2012, 04:38 PM
Prepared

Sell it.
You currently do not have it anyway.
It's worth as much as it will ever be worth on the open market.
(I can't see panic buying over rifles getting higher than it is now)
And now you can legally sell it. That may change.
Now you might get $2000! Go for it!!!!
www.gunbroker.com
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Moby For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2012, 04:49 PM
huh......what?

Thanked 33,834 Times in 8,264 Posts

I also say "sell it". If they get banned, it'll be a bit of a PITA, and possibly an outright liability. Also, as stated already, right now you don't even get to maintain possession.
I would capitalize on the prices while they're high, and while you're able to sell it without any restrictions.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MIL-DOT For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2012, 04:54 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,783 Times in 981 Posts

Sell now ! A semi automatic gun ban is coming with no grandfathering.I'm buying used pump shotguns, bolt,pump and lever action rifles.Buy body armor as that will be next.
The Following User Says Thank You to MR_SLOW For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2012, 04:58 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,277 Times in 2,064 Posts

Sell, start at $2000 on GB and watch it climb.
The Following User Says Thank You to panoz77 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2012, 05:00 PM
it is what it is

Thanked 3,628 Times in 1,518 Posts

i cant see any benefit of keeping it,seeing your views on it.sell it while you can get a good price.i cant see ARs going any higher then the 3xprice they are right now.**** drug dealers used to buying "black market" ARs on the street are probably scratchin their heads at the nonsense.

if somebody offers me double what i paid for my AR/mags/ammo,it will be sold quick.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 9mmParabellum For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2012, 07:05 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,845 Times in 1,622 Posts

Sell it. You have something for your SHTF platform. In the 94 ban I sold a Mini for 750. That's about 2K in todays dollars. I had other rifles and the guy really wanted something right now! I did not even approach him he came to me because he knew I had it. So sell and get what you want. I don't think the prices will maintain this current high level. They will come down if the big O does not push for a all out ban. I don't think the Demo's in the house want to deal with this in the mid term elections, so it won't go anywhere. Might not go down that way but I expect it to.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nutty Old Geezer For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2012, 04:33 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,134 Times in 1,492 Posts

If you do not 'bond' with it and/or can't have it in your own state and home... sell it.

Buy and shoot what you and your family can use on a regular basis.

My husband sold a rifle that he did not 'bond' with on consignment recently. He had it since 2008 (He bought it NIB from our local gun store.) and she was a tack driver but he never bonded with it. So he sold it and it was before all of these crazy news stories. He prefers bolt action and lever action rifles. (I prefer lever action rifles.)

Best wishes to you.

Catherine
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Catherine_MT For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2012, 06:01 AM
A Lone Star

Thanked 10,211 Times in 4,635 Posts

My rule is never sell property or guns.
The Following User Says Thank You to Standox For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2012, 09:52 AM
huh......what?

Thanked 33,834 Times in 8,264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standox View Post
My rule is never sell property or guns........
.....when you can kill two birds with one stone, and quite possibly get them both confiscated one day soon . Sometimes drawing a line on the sand just gives them a stationary target. Flexibility and orderly retreats are also viable tactics.
The Following User Says Thank You to MIL-DOT For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2012, 09:59 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,252 Times in 801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmless Drudge View Post
Some number of years ago, I bought a Colt AR-15 A2. Because that brand of AR is banned in CT, I have had to keep it out of state, with friends in New Hampshire. While we have no anticipation of "bugging out," my friends and we have designated each others' homes as our BOL's.

The question is, with the recent panic buying, should I now sell my AR. It is a platform that I am rather ambivalent to, neither disliking it, nor preferring it over others. I find the Mini 14 to be more suited to my needs, and I bought the AR simply because I got a decent deal.

Should I sell now, or would it be more prudent to wait? If I do wait, should I put it into a trust in case a new AWB forbids transfers of grandfathered guns?
Sell it. You're not using it, you're not even in possession of it. The thing is doing you absolutely zero good.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bucksnort For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2012, 11:05 AM
Survivor

Thanked 18,554 Times in 5,853 Posts

I say sell it while the fear is still high.

Here's to hoping you'll be able to one day move away from CT.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to merlinfire For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2012, 09:17 PM
Target Shooter

MR Slow
Quote:
Sell now ! A semi automatic gun ban is coming with no grandfathering.I'm buying used pump shotguns, bolt,pump and lever action rifles.Buy body armor as that will be next.
I think the gun ban is already losing steam. There will be bills offered but the POS politicians from red states who were bad mouthing guns and talking of bans a week ago are already walking back those statements. Now is the time to call, write or at least Email your political critter and tell them no bans. Remind them what happen the last time they banned guns.
The Following User Says Thank You to jarhead2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2012, 09:18 PM
Recent Blog:
Survivor

Thanked 1,274 Times in 748 Posts

Quote:

Get out of C.T. as soon as possible!!!!!!!The comming gun bans will rival most of Europe in that state let alone the country.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jason1221 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2012, 09:22 PM
Recent Blog:
Survivor

Thanked 1,274 Times in 748 Posts

Quote:

New Hampshire might be my next move can't stand the lack of snow down here.
The Following User Says Thank You to jason1221 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2012, 01:33 PM
Thirteenther

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason1221 View Post
New Hampshire might be my next move can't stand the lack of snow down here.
Heh, I know what you mean. I can't live without 4 seasons.
The Following User Says Thank You to Harmless Drudge For This Useful Post: