Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Knives, Swords & Axes
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Knives, Swords & Axes Survival knives, multi-tools, gerber, buck, cold steel, leather man.....

Advertise Here

Old 12-20-2012, 04:13 PM

Default Schrade LB7 vs Buck 110 - Which do you prefer?

Advertise Here

Which do you prefer?

TIA.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:46 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,364 Posts

Buck 110. Have had one for forty years and it has never failed to date. Skinned about 50 deer, and elk and a couple of cows and unknown amount of small game including rabbits, groundhogs, birds of all sort and more than a few rattlesnakes. As far as the other I have never had one but they are just a brand name now. Quality if doubtful.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nutty Old Geezer For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2012, 06:41 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,092 Times in 417 Posts

Buck 110 hands down. a classic knife. cant say how many ive had in my life time.
The Following User Says Thank You to WGSNewnan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2012, 07:00 PM
Couch'd Tater...

Thanked 8,353 Times in 2,667 Posts

I've got both...the Schrade feels a bit heavier and tighter than the Buck but they are both excellent knives...
Old 12-20-2012, 07:39 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,991 Times in 1,252 Posts

from the quality of another shrade knife I have, I also have a 110, I would say with out a doubt go 110
Old 12-21-2012, 02:55 AM
Human bean of planet Urf

Thanked 2,798 Times in 1,432 Posts

Schrade, no doubt.

I once used my Schrade to whittle a point onto a tire iron and killed a bear with it and it was STLL shaving sharp! My Buck broke the blade when I tried to slice some balsa wood and dropped it on a carpeted floor.

I'd rather have a Schrade with a nicked blade, a broken point, a dull as crap edge, a loose pivot pin and missing one grip panel than a brand new Buck.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:27 PM

A Schrade LB7 was the first "real" knife I ever had, given to me by my dad. Unfortunately, I can't locate it at the moment...Mine was made in the USA, somewhere around '82 or so. Great quality.

I have a brand-new Buck 110 that I have no doubt is just as good.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:54 PM
Blame Canada.

Thanked 2,201 Times in 1,341 Posts

110 out of nostalgia.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:09 AM
circuit rider

If you can get the old LB7 stamped USA, you have a great knife...a touch wider than the Buck & not as rounded handle. Either one is a knife I would rely on if I had only one knife I could have in a survival situation. I have my father in law's old Shrade. Watched him cut hundreds of tomatoes to eat over the years. It lives next to my Buck knife now.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtDeco357 View Post
If you can get the old LB7 stamped USA, you have a great knife...a touch wider than the Buck & not as rounded handle. Either one is a knife I would rely on if I had only one knife I could have in a survival situation. I have my father in law's old Shrade. Watched him cut hundreds of tomatoes to eat over the years. It lives next to my Buck knife now.
I have a Schrade LB7 stamped USA I got new 30+ years ago with the original leather case. It's been carried a few times but not used. I hear so much about the Buck 110 I just wondered how they compare.

I have several other old Schrade folding knives and they are top-knotch and I have several Buck fixed blade knives but I've never liked the looks of the Buck folders. I just wondered what others think. Thanks.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:00 AM
Survivor

Thanked 12,321 Times in 3,426 Posts

I have a vintage 1980's Schrade (Uncle Henry) LB8 Papa Bear and a BUCK 110. Both are nice as far as manufactured knives go.
Attached Thumbnails
Schrade LB8 Papa Bear Knife & Concho Sheath with Peyote Beaded Drop..jpg   BUCK 110 with Custom Sheath.jpg  
Old 12-23-2012, 11:17 AM

I have had several of each. Seems like the Buck has a better, more finished feel to it, although I think the Schrade has better steel in it. I took a 7OT and polished the handles on it with a palm sander, and what a difference!! Like night and day. No more sharp ridges on it, and it looked like it had been carried in a pocket for years, and yet it was brand new. The Uncle Henry LB7 has the wooden handle and is much like the Buck. I would say the Buck has a better rep, mainly due to the advertising and popularity in movies and such. In fact, if you look up Buck knife on the bay, not only Buck knives come up, but many other knives as well, because so many folks call any larger knife... a Buck knife. That being said, I used to collect Schrade knives and still have a few. Used to collect Buck knives and still have a few. I have a Schrade in my glove box and a Buck in the door pocket of my truck right now. I'd be perfectly fine with either one. The Schrades by the way, are the USA ones. The new ones, well, in my 40 years or so of knife love, I won't own one. If they were still made in the USA I'd still be buying them, but I am more inclined to support a knife company that makes most of their knives in our country. Buck does have an outstanding warranty too. I ended up with a small Buck folder, and it had a broken blade on it. I sent it to Buck with a note asking how much it would cost to have the blade replaced. About three weeks later, it came back to me with all new blades and a coupon for 25% off a new knife if ordered online! How cool is that! And all it cost was a couple of bucks for shipping it to them. THAT right there would make me more inclined to buy Buck.
The Following User Says Thank You to gohammergo For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2012, 01:26 PM
Survivor

Thanked 12,321 Times in 3,426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohammergo View Post
I have had several of each. Seems like the Buck has a better, more finished feel to it, although I think the Schrade has better steel in it. I took a 7OT and polished the handles on it with a palm sander, and what a difference!! Like night and day. No more sharp ridges on it, and it looked like it had been carried in a pocket for years, and yet it was brand new. The Uncle Henry LB7 has the wooden handle and is much like the Buck. I would say the Buck has a better rep, mainly due to the advertising and popularity in movies and such. In fact, if you look up Buck knife on the bay, not only Buck knives come up, but many other knives as well, because so many folks call any larger knife... a Buck knife. That being said, I used to collect Schrade knives and still have a few. Used to collect Buck knives and still have a few. I have a Schrade in my glove box and a Buck in the door pocket of my truck right now. I'd be perfectly fine with either one. The Schrades by the way, are the USA ones. The new ones, well, in my 40 years or so of knife love, I won't own one. If they were still made in the USA I'd still be buying them, but I am more inclined to support a knife company that makes most of their knives in our country. Buck does have an outstanding warranty too. I ended up with a small Buck folder, and it had a broken blade on it. I sent it to Buck with a note asking how much it would cost to have the blade replaced. About three weeks later, it came back to me with all new blades and a coupon for 25% off a new knife if ordered online! How cool is that! And all it cost was a couple of bucks for shipping it to them. THAT right there would make me more inclined to buy Buck.
Indeed. My Schrade (Uncle Henry) LB8 I have pictured in my previous post was made back in the early 1980's when they were still manufactured in America. I haven't bought a single Schrade since they became imports and I never will.
The Following User Says Thank You to SCALPHUNTER For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2012, 02:25 PM
III

Thanked 1,345 Times in 481 Posts

I've had both. The Buck holds an edge better but the Schrade gets sharper. The LB7 is my EDC for over 30 years(when they still put serial #"s on them) but just as easy could be the Buck.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:06 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 1,198 Times in 559 Posts

From a pure engineering standpoint the Schrade LB7 "is" a heavier duty knife.

That said, the original 110 had 440C blade steel which held an edge forever and was twice as strong as the 420hc steel used in 110's today but 440c was a real bitch to resharpen!

Schrade also made special runs of LB7 with drop point blades for the hunters. I have two of the drop point LB7 knives and the quality is superb. Blade shape and handle shape work to give the user an excellent serious field knife!! The only other folder I own that is as strong as the Schrade is the Kershaw Folding Field Knife which is a bull of a knife that is a handful of cutting power. (note: the flawless kershaw I have was made in japan with aus-8 blade steel. The kershaw today is a chinese made knife so I don't know about their quality)

http://www.knifecenter.com/item/KS10...lastic-Handles

So IMO the 110 is a classic everyday utility knife whereas the Schrade LB7 is a serious field knife for those times you're going to be in the field either a long time or times when your life might depend on it be it standard clip blade or drop point blade. (Note: this opinion applies ONLY to American made Schrade knives!)
Old 12-24-2012, 04:19 PM
Target Shooter

Buck 110 since 1978, always keeps an edge.