Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > General Discussion Section > General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here

Old 12-17-2012, 07:58 AM
Target Shooter

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demianu27 View Post
While at a bagel shop I saw a newspaper sitting on the table, and this is what was on the front page:

What... the... ******************

What a disgusting article.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/m...9S35iQz9x3BmTJ

"Weapon-loving Nancy Lanza regularly took her awkward loner-son Adam to shooting ranges, where the painfully shy boy — who suffered from the autism-related Asperger’s syndrome — blasted away targets using his mom’s small arsenal of guns."
The NYP is a sensationalist muckraking rag that I wouldn't trust to accurately show which way my dog's turd landed. It will always print the most outrage-provoking photo and soundbite on the front cover and worry about facts later. Remember, its the same media company that permitted the Star to perform illegal wiretapping and that owns the Wall Street Journal, and who's owner has already called for a gun ban. It's far from neutral.

Fact is we won't know how good or bad a parent Lanza was for real - we only have the word of essential paid informants who know that their story fee is based on how sensational it is. If Lanza knew her son was emotionally disturbed and pushed him too hard, then that may have contributed. We don't know.

Last edited by Hermit Jax; 12-17-2012 at 01:39 PM.. Reason: spelling
The Following User Says Thank You to Hermit Jax For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2012, 08:00 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzak44 View Post
Yeppers, I just read this, got it from the drudge report. I knew something like this was going to get out there. Plus she had a "chache" of guns and she taught her kids how to shoot, so horrid of a mother to do that. It makes me sick for people to use this horrific tragedy to get their agenda of banning guns and ammo. The man was an evil man, that's all. There is evil in this world, and we have to defend ourselves from it. If one teacher or school administrator was trained and had a gun on them, this tragedy might have been avoided. It is sickening.
Yes, but the mother new her son was crazy and nuts. So why the hell did she give her son access to firearms. We are not talking about stable, healthy kid here. We are talking about a nut job.

If the mother and father had been halfway decent parents the tragedy may have been avoided. They probably both knew their son was a fruit loop. I know I would not give weapons to a seriously deranged person.

The teachers are there to teach. Again Parents need to do their damn job. There are way to many worthless parents in this world raising worthless children all because they think they have a right to do do. BS I say. A person as no right to raise a piece garbage if it is a danger to others.

It is only in the last 40 or so years that we in the west have really decided that having children is a right. Prior to that there were restricitons. There needs to be again. Just the other day my neighbor and I were outside talking. To our left there were a couple of 2 yearolds outside playing. A van pulled up full of teenagers and told these little kids to STFU! We both went over to the van and a couple of teenager bow up on us saying 'what, what, what?' to much my buddy says show a little Fing respect. Theses are babies here. They are not causing anybody any harm. I then chime in with 'we are watching you guys, any time any thing around here is stolen we are looking at you.' One of the little darlings responds with 'well its not me, I don't steal anymore.'
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to loltraktor For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2012, 08:01 AM
Survivor

Thanked 9,581 Times in 3,019 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by disidoro View Post
This would be friggin hilarious.
How in the hell would that be hilarious?
Old 12-17-2012, 08:07 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,008 Times in 658 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by disidoro View Post
Here is the issue for me. With rights come responsibilities.
You can read page upon page where folks here talk about other groups or people not being responsible and what should be done to them. This belief that the 2A gives you rights yet you do not have to behave responsibly is wrong. There are no rights without responsibilities. If a person can't behave responsibly, why would it be wrong to remove a right? We do it with people all the time.
I understand the power of the 2nd but i do not understand this knee jerk reaction that this right doesn't go hand in hand with responsibility.
Personally I am comfortable placing some limits on the rights of a nutjob.
Who gets to make the determination on who's a nutjob? Half of the country is apparently considered to have some sort of mental illness. That's a slippery slope you're arguing for there.
The Following User Says Thank You to hendrixfreak70 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsmith View Post
maybe thats a good reason why forums such as this is no place for the myan 2012 / agenda 21 / obama killed those kids as a false flag BS.

there is a REASON why many people think preppers are all nutters, and it's because some of them are. guilt by association might not be fair, but it happens every day.
My problem is that most of these young men that do the shooting are part of the "victim" culture of our time. They feel persecuted to the point that many of them believe their acts are in self defence (in their minds). It is shown over and over again in studies that the "victim" mind set can lead people to what to them is justified violence.

Now, this is not true of every prepper but many preppers have this same "victim" mindset.---This politician or that one is out to get me. There will be people trying to kill me and take my stuff. The secret conspiracy is doing bad things to us (spraying chemicals, destroying buildings, rounding people up to put them into death camps). People think I'm crazy for being a prepper. I'm going to teach all those people a lesson when TSHTF and then they'll be sorry.

This is the same kind mind set of these shooters. These boys are victims and they are going to get others before the others get them.

So where does it turn from being just the ramblings of a person who doesn't have a grip on reality to being a person who doesn't have a grip on reality and is going to act on his "victim" fantasy? And when do we grow up, grow a set, and stand in our own power, meaning we don't feel like someone is "out to get us" and we realize that how good or bad our lives are is because of what we do and how we live our lives.

Don't blame Bush or Obama for your failings, they are yours and no one elses. Don't blame chemtrails or HARP for your misfortunes, own them, fix them and grow up. Don't look anywhere but in the mirror for how your life turned out. Because once we do this, we not only will stop hating so many people and then going after them, but we will be able to change our lives for the better. Only you can make your life worse or better, you choose which you want and live with it.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to spaewyfe For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2012, 08:24 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrixfreak70 View Post
Who gets to make the determination on who's a nutjob? Half of the country is apparently considered to have some sort of mental illness. That's a slippery slope you're arguing for there.
Oh I don't know. I think doctors generally can figure it out. Parents worth a damn should be able to figure out if their children are one short of a six pack. This is also why we need some form of national healthcare, so these kids can get help. NPR said that the number is actually 25% at any given time. For most people the illness is only temporary. The numbers with severe mental illness such as bi polar or schizophrenia are a lot less.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loltraktor View Post
Yes, but the mother new her son was crazy and nuts. So why the hell did she give her son access to firearms. We are not talking about stable, healthy kid here. We are talking about a nut job.

If the mother and father had been halfway decent parents the tragedy may have been avoided. They probably both knew their son was a fruit loop. I know I would not give weapons to a seriously deranged person.

The teachers are there to teach. Again Parents need to do their damn job. There are way to many worthless parents in this world raising worthless children all because they think they have a right to do do. BS I say. A person as no right to raise a piece garbage if it is a danger to others.

It is only in the last 40 or so years that we in the west have really decided that having children is a right. Prior to that there were restricitons. There needs to be again. Just the other day my neighbor and I were outside talking. To our left there were a couple of 2 yearolds outside playing. A van pulled up full of teenagers and told these little kids to STFU! We both went over to the van and a couple of teenager bow up on us saying 'what, what, what?' to much my buddy says show a little Fing respect. Theses are babies here. They are not causing anybody any harm. I then chime in with 'we are watching you guys, any time any thing around here is stolen we are looking at you.' One of the little darlings responds with 'well its not me, I don't steal anymore.'
I agree, so many gun owners talk about personal responsibilty but when it comes down to walking the walk they get all up in arms. If I was telling my kid's babysitter to not turn his back on the kid, I would think that locking my guns up would be the RESPONSIBLE thing to do. Not only would it potentially save lives but it would make gun owners look like responsible people instead of animals with projectile weapons.

Personal responsibility is part of gun ownership and we are seeing less and less of it. I was raised with guns, I may have guns, but they have NEVER been a status symbol for me. They are tools to help me live my life.

Responsible gun owners face problems from two fronts. First is the people who are afraid of guns and want them banned. They keep trying to take them away. But we face a problem on the other side as well. The fools who wave their guns in the air like it is some toy and yell "Look at me! Look at me!" These people are just as damaging to the responsible gun owner. If you have EVER used a gun as a status symbol, you are just as damaging to gun ownership as the people who say they are bad. Those people just say it, you are showing it by your actions.

Meanwhile the rest of us keep our heads down, use the weapons as needed, and SHUT UP ABOUT IT! Why is that such a hard concept for some?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to spaewyfe For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2012, 08:56 AM
Survivor

Quote:

For there to be such limited information, we sure do know a bunch of this women. How do we know she gave access of her weapons to her son? Do we know that she was aware of his mental state? And if so, who's to say she didn't try to get him help?

The MSM got 100% of the information wrong when the event took place and now you're still relying on what they are telling you??? Come now....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bearack For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2012, 09:02 AM
Trapper

I read that Lanza's mom made "play dates" for him. We need to assume that his mother was doing more to him than "being a responsible parent unlike today's parents". Did she keep him in a psychological cage instead of letting him interact with the world? That said there is NO excuse for him to kill. None.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:07 AM
Hiker

anybody think she might have been killed trying to keep a gun out of his hands?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wldrbob For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2012, 09:17 AM
Survivor

Does no one pay attention to history? Before video games, the worst school massacre in US history happened in Bath Township in 1927 where the school treasure blew up 38 children and 4 adults because he wasn't reelected.

Again, if there are no guns, these monsters will find ANYTHING to kill.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bearack For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2012, 09:18 AM
Lonesome Road

Thanked 1,638 Times in 559 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wldrbob View Post
anybody think she might have been killed trying to keep a gun out of his hands?
That is a very good point.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:27 AM
Survivor

Thanked 11,488 Times in 4,338 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearack View Post
Does no one pay attention to history? Before video games, the worst school massacre in US history happened in Bath Township in 1927 where the school treasure blew up 38 children and 4 adults because he wasn't reelected.

Again, if there are no guns, these monsters will find ANYTHING to kill.
Was unaware of this, Thanks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_School_disaster
Old 12-17-2012, 09:37 AM
Remember Brendan Tevlin

Thanked 5,413 Times in 1,369 Posts

I may be out of line (and i know you guys will let me know if i am!) but i am thinking that if i had guns in the same house with a feeble-minded son, i would have invested in a gun safe and kept the keys on me. Until shown the contrary, i believe the poor dead woman bears some responsibility. A good prepper is going to secure the arms almost as a first reponsibility.
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Simcox For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2012, 09:41 AM
avoidance & deterrence

Thanked 2,421 Times in 1,067 Posts

"Doomsday Preppers Movement"

I did not know there was a movement, WTF?
Old 12-17-2012, 09:47 AM
Hiker

I think, and for so many reasons, we will never get the "true" story. But as character witnesses for the boy and the mom come out of the woodwork (for their 15 minutes of fame, like mom's sister), psychologists and therapist, government employed profilers, and just plain guessing (like the media) from anyone who cares to guess...the story will never be complete or true.

We'll never know.

But we WILL know the outcome.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:47 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Simcox View Post
I may be out of line (and i know you guys will let me know if i am!) but i am thinking that if i had guns in the same house with a feeble-minded son, i would have invested in a gun safe and kept the keys on me. Until shown the contrary, i believe the poor dead woman bears some responsibility. A good prepper is going to secure the arms almost as a first reponsibility.
But who's to say she didn't and he, over the years, watched her and identified where the key's or what the combo is? We are merely speculating as no real facts have been submitted. And even if they clarify as fact, these same people are the ones who got 100% of the information wrong initially.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bearack For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2012, 09:53 AM
Sua Sponte

Thanked 1,407 Times in 464 Posts

Quote:
I think the big thing here is, the mother was giving her deranged kid access to weapons he had no business using. Similarly I would not give a person the keys to a car if I thought they would be a hazard with that vehicle.

So the problem was not the tools. The problem was the mad son and the mad mother(yes I think she was nuts too.) Reminds me of when dog owners say oh Spot would never bite anybody. They are then surprised when Spot bites their baby.

Mother probably thought oh I know my son is nuts and ****ed in the head, but he would never hurt a fly. I know my son better than the therapists so I will give him access to my guns.
Yes, I can agree with this, but just to play devil's advocate.... maybe sh didn't give him access. Maybe she thought the safe was enough? Maybe he found out what the combo was. I mean, realistically we could say the same thing about him having a vehicle no? He could driven through a crowded bus stop full of kids?

I don't really know what really happened with the mom and such. I just think a lot of people are focused on the wrong issue, but that is human nature.... we need someone to blame for why the guy snapped.
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiskeySix5 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2012, 09:54 AM
Hiker

his is the situation the mother was in, and she isn't alone.

http://gawker.com/5968818/i-am-adam-lanzas-mother
The Following User Says Thank You to kingsman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2012, 10:13 AM
Sua Sponte

Thanked 1,407 Times in 464 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBar67 View Post
1 I've yet to see a kid with a real "I will die if I eat this pine nut" anaphaltic shock allergy. Instead, their normal childhood sensativity, hives, throat skin rash is which resolves itself with exposure to the food and good old benadryl, is being interupted by the hover parent.
What are you talking about?

First off, an allergy occurs AFTER you have had initial exposure to something. You cannot be allergic to something before your have ever experienced it... therefore, a child would have had to have eaten say a peanut, and then developed a reaction to it. The nest time they ate a peanut, they swell up, etc. There goes that theory for you.

Secondly, I have seen many children in anaphyalactic shock. If your kid was in it at the moment you would be like the parents I have to deal with when we get on scene.

The problem in Anaphylaxis is the bodies reaction to the antigen which causes inflammation and at times necrosis of tissue. The main concern (especially with children) is that the inflammation can affect the neck and facial area, which can compromise the airway as well as the bronchopulmonary tissue causing swelling.

Asthma is an allergic disorder. It is caused by breathing in an allergen causing a reaction (swelling).

Is your expert medical advice to give the child having an Asthma attack some "good ol benadryl" and tell them to suck it up, or should they have a breathing treatment of Albuterol, or a mix of Albuterol and Ipratropium?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WhiskeySix5 For This Useful Post: