Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Books, Movies & Stories
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 12-09-2012, 09:27 PM

Default 'Alaska the final frontier'

Advertise Here

Any one ever seen this show? This show along with a few others have brought up a question in my mind. The people in these shows just live off the land to survive. They grow and kill just enough to live. Yet, they have $100,000 tractors, $15,000 4 wheeler's and snowmobiles? How do they afford this stuff?

Some of the stuff they have they've been using for awhile so it can't be from the payment for the show..What am I missing here?
Old 12-09-2012, 09:31 PM
Trapper

I imagine they sell enough of something to be able to buy these things. Most of the stuff they have seems really old so it may have been in the family for years and years. I like this show. It is way better than any of the other reality/ survival shows out there.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:34 PM

Haven't seen any $100,000 tractors or $15000 four wheelers on the show. Most I've seen on the show are barely even running. You do know that Atz, the oldest brother on the show, is the father of the singer, Jewel? She was raised here on this homestead till she left home as a teenager to persue her musical talents.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Hogwired For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2012, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderhawk View Post
I imagine they sell enough of something to be able to buy these things. Most of the stuff they have seems really old so it may have been in the family for years and years. I like this show. It is way better than any of the other reality/ survival shows out there.
What could they be selling? I see that the father Otto raises some animals, but from what they've said it seems like its only for their own use. I saw in another episode that he had a lot of cattle but you can't make too much money off that. Do they get some sort of government assistance?
Old 12-09-2012, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogwired View Post
Haven't seen any $100,000 tractors or $15000 four wheelers on the show. Most I've seen on the show are barely even running. You do know that Atz, the oldest brother on the show, is the father of the singer, Jewel? She was raised here on this homestead till she left home as a teenager to persue her musical talents.
Oh really? that might explain it then. Ya I've seen a few newer sleds and 4 wheeler's, and by Alaska prices those things arnt cheap.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:47 PM

Yep..... Check out the link and her early history. She sings with her dad on the theme song of the show.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewel_(singer))
The Following User Says Thank You to Hogwired For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2012, 09:48 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,932 Times in 906 Posts

The last show I saw they were using TWO excavators to help cutting their firewood. I was thinking the same thing. Something don't add up here. The only cash crop I ever see is about 30 head of cows. You don't buy excavators with the earnings from 30 head of cows.
The Following User Says Thank You to bilmac For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2012, 01:54 AM

ok guys this is a tv show. shows like this are BS. they are built up to sell and make money. all these alaska shows you see are pretty much BS except Alaska State Troopers but even some of that is exagerated a lot.ive lived in Alaska for 17 years and hunted over lots of the state from Kodiak Island to the Artic Circle and seen lots of it including where Alaska the last frontier is filmed.Evien and Eve stated they went to school together most of their lives so the family must live where they can attend public school every day. thats not remote.
The Following User Says Thank You to luckyalaska98 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2012, 08:02 AM
Survivor

Thanked 9,306 Times in 3,899 Posts

the family owns a freaking landing craft ... they said someone gave it to them ..... I don't think the want the gold mine shown on TV
Old 12-10-2012, 08:19 AM

The Family has made seasonal $$ with Construction and transportaion in Katchmak bay with the landing craft., Heating with wood and building with it, as well as selling produce and Beef, they save a ton of $$ by gardening and Hunting to off set the truck ride down the road to the Store, or onto Anchorage's wallmart.
They also work together alot.

Ive worked with NatGeo, and theres very little $$ for the subjects, and most people tied to the land buy things; Trappers sell fur, fishermen sell fish, ect. to make $$ and buy what they want.
My family makes a living with our hunting and fishing/trapping because my wife sews and we sell. We heat with wood and built our own home, so thats a saveings , here in the Arctic. Our monthly expenses are Elecrticity,(400$ or so) water and sewer ($150) and internet/phone (100$) but with gasoline and stove oil for the water heater being near 8$ a gallon, we have to watch every penny, and catch/work as much as possible.Easy enough to hit amazon .com for good prices, and save when we do shop.

Seems their doing it right, though they are just not telling you how they make ends meet.

Alaska State Troopers Sux.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Caribou For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2012, 11:14 AM

there is definitely more to the story than natgeo broadcasts. its depicted as being the middle of nowhere, but they're only 9 miles from Homer, AK. They're either on-grid or have a large generator that's never been mentioned or shown.

they've got 600 acres, but it has been in their family for 3 or 4 generations. they must have some supplemental income or they're bartering goods they've raised/made or hunted (but that's definitely part of the life-style too) to afford all the cushie stuff. Eivin and Atz Lee each have multiple guns worth thousands on they're own.

All in all, I think its an excellent show and has definitely hardened my desire to at least visit alaska, if not move there.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to suburbian For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2012, 11:44 AM

Atz Kilcher is worth an estimated $5 million and his brother, Otto, an estimated $4 million. This family is far more educated than represented by the show. Atz is a singer/songwriter that toured Europe in the 50's & 60's and does many things that you would not expect from the show. Of course, Jewel is worth $30 million or more. Choosing how you want to live is made easier by money!!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rainmaker1940 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2012, 10:20 PM

Thanks guys. That's what I was looking for. I figured they had some sort of other income to afford such things. Of course the show doesn't show those things to make them look better.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:08 AM
Hunter

No matter how the TV distorts the truth, you gotta respect the Kilcher's With the kind of dough they have they could all be living in condos and playing golf in Florida.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:20 AM
The end is,,,,,

Thanked 8,806 Times in 3,790 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogwired View Post
Yep..... Check out the link and her early history. She sings with her dad on the theme song of the show.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewel_(singer))
Ya this helps I am sure. Plus the sisters have their own bisinesses. Just hard working folks that know how to spend a buck IMO. Wonder if Jewel will ever pop up on the show? To me, the show gets 2 big thumbs up...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cleatis For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2012, 12:42 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,306 Times in 3,899 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
Ya this helps I am sure. Plus the sisters have their own bisinesses. Just hard working folks that know how to spend a buck IMO. Wonder if Jewel will ever pop up on the show? To me, the show gets 2 big thumbs up...

I've been wondering if Jewel had her own place somewhere on the acreage .... makes sense that a family with such strong pioneer heritage would have a BOL .....
The Following User Says Thank You to Illini Warrior For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2012, 01:16 PM
The end is,,,,,

Thanked 8,806 Times in 3,790 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini Warrior View Post
I've been wondering if Jewel had her own place somewhere on the acreage .... makes sense that a family with such strong pioneer heritage would have a BOL .....
I bet your right. She aint far I bet. I know I wouldnt be.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:32 PM
no one

Thanked 2,448 Times in 744 Posts

I have not seen that show but I recently watched a show about Christoper McCanless and his experiances trying to live primitive in Alaska. It was sad how he was so unprepared for how hard it would be and how he starved to death at 24. He went without the knowledge of how to preserve meat and without any backup food such as rice or beans and he died very sad.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:51 PM
Hunter

Alaska is a hard land and you can die real easy if you go you there with nothing but a bunch of romantic idealism and think you can just live off the land.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker1940 View Post
Atz Kilcher is worth an estimated $5 million and his brother, Otto, an estimated $4 million. This family is far more educated than represented by the show. Atz is a singer/songwriter that toured Europe in the 50's & 60's and does many things that you would not expect from the show. Of course, Jewel is worth $30 million or more. Choosing how you want to live is made easier by money!!
I am curious where you got this info?
The Following User Says Thank You to akraven For This Useful Post: