Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 12-08-2012, 03:34 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,367 Times in 2,006 Posts
Default Methane gas from your septic tank for home use?

Advertise Here

Was watching You tube the other day and ran across a couple that had established their homestead and came up with a rather interesting method of energy production.

On top of other methods of energy production, they use the methane gas from their septic system to run their home gas operated appliances. Now this is rather interesting to me because the primary method of cooking for me is via propane, and some of my gas lights are also ran off the same. And a system like this would conserve a rather hefty some of $ over time, and I just love being self sufficient and save $.

So does anyone know how one would go about setting up such a system? I mean would the septic tank create enough pressure to run gas appliances off? How would one run a gas pipe/line from the tank to their appliance?

Please note that I reside in a zone where temperatures often reach -20 degrees F. So almost everything minus the gas line needs to be below the frost line which is 4'. This I see as a semi issue if I don't have anywhere the expanding gas can go, kind of like an expansion chamber. I don't need to deal with explosions on the property.

Any guidance, diagrams, schematics, or videos would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:19 AM
Be Prepared

Thanked 1,390 Times in 568 Posts

I've seen programs in the third world where this was done. They collected the gas in a plastic bladder some how and kept the pressure up by putting a rock or a log on top of the bag. This saved the people in the family from walking for tens of miles looking for fire wood every day.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:29 AM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 96,774 Times in 31,774 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

I looked into methane production as a source of cooking/heating fuel. It has a lot of benefits. But I was also planning on having some animals too.

Basically, the waste goes into a methane digester where bacteria work it over. Methane is collected, dried, and stored for use. Then this waste can be used as fertilizer.

I don't know if the digestion process would render human waste safe for fertilizer. Composting does, but digestion might not. That would take research. But if it didn't, it could always be sent to the septic tank at that point, or composted further.
Folks, when starting a thread, please take a moment and consider which forum that thread belongs in. Disaster Preparedness is for disaster preparedness discussions only. There are forums for gun posts, news, politics, general discussion, etc. Please try to start threads in the right forum. This makes the site better for all of us. Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2012, 09:41 AM

funny how we can use all the animal poop just fine but human poop is "hazardous"?

WTF IS WRONG WITH US!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
The Following User Says Thank You to Common-Sense For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2012, 09:55 AM
Baal Sheeple

Thanked 13,721 Times in 5,244 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Common-Sense View Post
funny how we can use all the animal poop just fine but human poop is "hazardous"?

WTF is wrong with us!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
We are the same species. Diseases do not have to cross any species barriers.

Getting usable quantities of methane from a home septic tank is not going to happen. Simple energy equation. Now if you own a pig farm or dairy you can use cogeneration. The only problem is that methane gas is hard on equipment and usually ends up costing more in maintenance than it is worth.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2012, 10:26 AM
Survivor

Thanked 1,376 Times in 814 Posts

Just don't get a back-flash and blow the door off the outhouse...
The Following User Says Thank You to bayez For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2012, 10:30 AM
To the surface!

Thanked 6,831 Times in 2,870 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB4 View Post

Getting usable quantities of methane from a home septic tank is not going to happen. Simple energy equation. Now if you own a pig farm or dairy you can use cogeneration. The only problem is that methane gas is hard on equipment and usually ends up costing more in maintenance than it is worth.
That's my understanding too - that for a lot of manure production it can *maybe* pay for itself, but barely. For a couple of humans? Unlikely.

Local sewer district is using methane production from a treatment plant to run the plant and in a few years they aim to be self-sufficient with regards to energy needs for that plant.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Heretic For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2012, 10:47 AM
Baal Sheeple

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Heretic View Post

Local sewer district is using methane production from a treatment plant to run the plant and in a few years they aim to be self-sufficient with regards to energy needs for that plant.
Waste water plants are always trying this and it never works out. Many start with a digester that is heated by either methane (from the decay process) or piped in natural gas. Over time the methane side goes into disuse. Mostly from maintenance costs but also from the fact methane production is not a constant. It can be radically affected by shifts in the bacterial process caused by too much or too little nutrients.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB4 View Post
Is there a way for us to spread it in a field to grow something for cattle or such and recycle it that way without it being hazardous to us?
Old 12-08-2012, 12:11 PM
Baal Sheeple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Common-Sense View Post
Is there a way for us to spread it in a field to grow something for cattle or such and recycle it that way without it being hazardous to us?
Yes. You just have to ensure that cross contamination does not happen like getting insects/rats other animals to distribute pathogens. Mostly that means covering the material with clean soil. Or you can compost. Proper composting will raise the temperature high enough to destroy pathogens
The Following User Says Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2012, 12:14 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,587 Times in 474 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Basically, the waste goes into a methane digester where bacteria work it over. Methane is collected, dried, and stored for use. Then this waste can be used as fertilizer.
Since methane is a gas just how does one dry it and then store it for later use?
Old 12-08-2012, 12:42 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 96,774 Times in 31,774 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgswaim View Post
Since methane is a gas just how does one dry it and then store it for later use?
I don't remember the details on the driers, but you can make them yourself. Might have been as simple as passing the gas through silica gel, which can be dried out over and over. But I don't remember offhand. It's been nearly 20 years since I researched it.

As for storing, a lot of the small tinkerers were simply pumping it into inner tubes so that it would be under pressure. Inner tubes are not going to last in long term storage, so I'd want a more permanent solution. But they're a cheap way to get started and learn the ropes before investing more heavily in a better setup.
Folks, when starting a thread, please take a moment and consider which forum that thread belongs in. Disaster Preparedness is for disaster preparedness discussions only. There are forums for gun posts, news, politics, general discussion, etc. Please try to start threads in the right forum. This makes the site better for all of us. Thanks.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:09 PM
Born to prep

Thanked 2,452 Times in 1,039 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

The problem with this is in the way that septic systems/plumbing are built in this country.

To get methane from a septic tank you can only put feces and some water in the tank. If you put gray water, TP, tampons, wet wipes, urine or any other nonfecal matter.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:39 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,367 Times in 2,006 Posts

Ok so tracking on the digester. If I did set something like this up I would add some vegetable matter to promote bacteria growth. I have been watching Youtube and see there are ways to prevent flameback through the system. Pressure is an issue, and it it wasn't for the harsh winters then I could see how to set this up. But I will not set this up in the basement so underground is the only option. So somehow I have to set up a underground tank that can take the pressure.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:02 AM

China and India and South America have all been using Biogas for years, China uses human and animal waste and they all can take biodegradable things like toilet paper and plants, china actually lines the bottom of the pit with plant material. They pipe the Biogas directly to the house to cook with and fuel gas lights. Biogas is about 60% methane and 40% CO2 with Hydrogen sulfide and moisture thrown in which is why its hard on generators. It must by purified by removing these, the cheapest way is to bubble the gas through water to remove the CO2 and H2S which can also be removed with a rusted steel sponge. The water is then dehydraded usually through silica gel. you now have around 98% methane with the same BTU's as natural gas.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:04 AM

One thing I forgot is the digesting process kill the bad bacteria and should be used as a fertilizer, both the liqued that you get each day as you feed it and the solids when it is cleaned out.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:24 AM

I read a while back that most methane gas projects that were started back in the 1970s and 1980s failed because methane gas is very corrosive. It ruins engines and pipes.

Does anyone know how to neutralize the corrosive nature? Does the drying process do this?
Old 12-23-2012, 09:02 AM
Recent Blog:
Hiker

My wife thinks I generate enough methane gas that I should consider attaching a holding tank or plastic bag to my trousers. At times I could also use some kind of dryer.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Spade For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2012, 05:51 PM

If your methane blower falls into the tank, would that be SHTF or FHTS?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EFIsuicide For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2012, 10:25 PM
Prepared

look in the readers digest book "back to basics" it has plans for a methane digester, combined that with the plans for a composting toilet might work, thats what i plan to try
The Following User Says Thank You to fullmetal For This Useful Post: